• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Been cleaning up furniture casting, breeched and inlet the barrel, cut dovetails and installed four barrel under lugs, inlet the lock and the side plate.
    20160112_160010_zpsnkt79wu8.jpg
    [/IMG]

mistersmith

Shooter
    Jan 4, 2016
    NWI
    Yep, you are right the Ramrod goes thru the sling mount. The gun is pretty ugly with the scope, but my old eyes need a little help in low light conditions. The scope rings are the see thru type and I will use the iron sights on most of the shots, the scope is there if I need to make a longer, less light shot.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    So when i was 16 my Dad sold his 50 cal muzzleloader to buy tires for my first car. I have always wanted to repay him for that. I wanted to buy him a new muzzleloader to kind of repay him for that, but i know nothing about them. Can you guys recommend some good brands, what to look for, not to look for, what to avoid?

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    WarJunky,
    In the more "modern" reproductions, Thompson Center and Lyman are great. CVA had some hit and miss quality issues over the years but good examples can be had. If you are looking at used, bore condition is EVERYTHING. You can find some that look great on the outside and where shot once and not cleaned that are ruined, internally. Use a drop in bore light and check for corrosion around the nipple/breech area.
    Avoid the low end flintlocks, if he is going to shoot it much. I don't even like the Thompson Center flintlocks. Lock geometry is terrible on them.
    If you are in the new gun market, a quick Google search will find multiple sources. Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works are a couple. I would look for places that specialize in black powder stuff. Not Cabelas or Gander Mountain.
    For used guns, check local pawn shops, but take your bore light!
    If you decide your budget, that will help a bunch. If you need more help, feel free to shoot me a PM, here.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Finally got around to ordering parts for my 1851. Second time it's broken a trigger/bolt spring so I looked for a more perminant solution. Found several people online replacing the flat spring with a wire spring made for a SAA. After slight modification, they work perfectly. Had to get it out and run a cylinder though it.

I've been looking at getting another pistol, either a '58 Remington or a '05 Harper's Ferry flintlock.

klrbear

Plinker
    Dec 11, 2011
    The sunshine lured me out today ( I swear it looked like it should have been warmer than it was. I put about 100 rounds down range from my 1858 Remington and my 1860 colt. Still can't decide which one I like better. I also have an 1858 in .36 and two 1851's in .36 and .44. Cabelas suckers me in with their sales.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    Connor Longrifles---BP Gun show,at the Noblesville fairgrounds this weekend 20-21-----------------ALL THINGS BLACK POWDER--guns, clothes,everything for bp,except NO powder in the bldg
    Always a great show-------every year

see ya'll there
    tallend

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    Another shout for the "Living History Trade Fair" this weekend, at the Hamilton County 4-H Fairgrounds

Hosted by "Connor Longrifles"

The time period is from 1700---to---1899------

240 tables of antique arms(all tables sold)---black powder supplies-----blacksmith items-----"horn smithing"---swords--knives-----period clothing

re-enactors-------Native American collectables

see you there

tallend

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Another shout for the "Living History Trade Fair" this weekend, at the Hamilton County 4-H Fairgrounds

Hosted by "Connor Longrifles"

The time period is from 1700---to---1899------

240 tables of antique arms(all tables sold)---black powder supplies-----blacksmith items-----"horn smithing"---swords--knives-----period clothing

re-enactors-------Native American collectables

see you there

tallend

good show today. Spent too much money.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    The Mrs and I went to the "Living History Trade fair" today. Seemed like a nice place and nice folks. It is definitely not the kind of show a modern muzzle-loader fan would probably enjoy as it is geared more toward primitive and pre-1900 firearms. My wife even enjoyed it and she is not a huge fan of "gun shows". Anyway...worth our time and even picked up some items for my Pennsylvania long rifle and Colt 1860's. I would go again.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Wish I could have gone... I've been looking at flintlock pistols and rifles. Will end up with one or the other soon I imagine. Hopefully have both by the end of the year. Looking to make them both .50 caliber so I can use the same round balls. Thinking Kentucky pistol and rifle.

Lee11b

Master
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I have a T/C 50 cal Omega, which I love. It is dead nuts accurate out to 100 yards. Plus, the stainless steel is quick and easy to clean.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Wish I could have gone... I've been looking at flintlock pistols and rifles. Will end up with one or the other soon I imagine. Hopefully have both by the end of the year. Looking to make them both .50 caliber so I can use the same round balls. Thinking Kentucky pistol and rifle.

They had them there. If I saw one... I saw bunches them. These vendors at this show were hard core primitive firearms. Really gracious folks.

Top Bottom