• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RMC

Sharpshooter
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I bought the needed supplies and did some shooting a few weeks ago and will probably be out shooting this weekend. I'm surprised with the groups I was getting at 100 yds and my wife was shooting extremely well too, probably better than me. Is it OK to leave the powder in the flask or should I put it back in the can for extended periods of time?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    As long as the flask is closed and stored in a dry place, you can leave it there. I keep my horns and flasks filled and have for years without problems.
    Warning: you are now addicted. There is no cure.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Thanks. Yep, I'm hooked beyond redemption but not to where I'll start wearing a leopard thong outside my home.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    You think ML rifles are fun. Wait till you try trap shooting with a ML shotgun. Teaches you to swing and follow through due to the delay between trigger and discharge. Some of the guys I shoot with use flintlock shotguns. Also recommend cap and ball revolvers for a real old west experience.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    You think ML rifles are fun. Wait till you try trap shooting with a ML shotgun. Teaches you to swing and follow through due to the delay between trigger and discharge. Some of the guys I shoot with use flintlock shotguns. Also recommend cap and ball revolvers for a real old west experience.

Plus 1 on the cap & ball revolver idea above. I bought a C&B revolver just for the heck of it about a year ago...Yeah! I am now hooked and own two and looking at a third. Just like BP long guns they are addictive. I had no idea how much... until I shot mine.:D

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    For information------The Spring shoot at Friendship started Saturday,11th------it runs through the 19th----------if you have never been there--go--one time----you will mark it on your "things to do list",for a long time---------------------be warned,2(two) giant flea markets,one on either side of the NMLRA range------at the NMLRA range,they shoot skeet,trap,rifle and pistol targets from 25,to 200yards,----people dressed in "period clothing"-------the Walter Cline Range(NMLRA) has vendors from all the major ML suppliers (Dixie Gun Works,Lodi,etc.)

I started shooting there in 1973---havent missed a year since---(I quit shooting in 2001 after a major heart attack)---------

Go----join the NMLRA-----plan on spending a day,if you want to see everything

tallend

rausch51

Marksman
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    I apologize if I didn't read back far enough in the thread, but any thoughts on the Traditions kits as a good starter kit? I'll be honest that I'm ok with doing something on the inexpensive side first. Was kind of thinking it would be a fun spring project, and maybe even order 2 of the same kit and build them with my dad. Had an eye on these:

Traditions Trapper Black Powder Pistol Unassembled Kit 50 Cal
    As a teen, I built two pistols and a rifle from the kits, all Traditions brand. It was a really good exercise in patience for a teenager. Getting the fit and finish right wasn't something easily accomplished in an afternoon. Twenty years later, I couldn't say I would have done anything any differently. They are as good as I could make them then and now.

The only real struggle was getting the finish on the barrel correct. It took a couple tries, but we finally got a nice even finish

Ryan11

Plinker
    Jul 17, 2016
    linton
    do you or anyone else get into flintlocks I got one this year in 45 its a blast but the flint thing is a little tricky. anyway its a tack driver im just not

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I haven't been on this forum for a while. Now a muzzle loading thread. Yowza! Wowya! Great idea! I still have to catch up to the previous 74 pages of replies and comments.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Ouch, it wasn't me that let her shoot the flintlock. $$$$$$$$ :)

She really enjoys shooting and hunting so you will see us again. Unfortunately, I have been sidelined from surgery I had in June and haven't been able to be at the shoots. With any luck I'll see you in August.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Muzzleloading is shooting caseless rounds; not limited by case volume or the distance to the rifling.
    Does it get any better than that?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just gotta put a "shout out" to the Twin Rivers Muzzle-loading club. They are a tenant club based at the Logansport, Indiana Issac Walton League club. Had a great first time shooting with these folks this AM. Very nice folks.:)

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Screenshot_2016-08-28-08-29-01_zpscf65txwz.png
    [/URL][/IMG]

Burnt some black powder last weekend. Our local club shoot.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Ouabashe Valley Frontiersmen. Our home club is about an hour north of Terre Haute but our members travel all over the Midwest and Eastern U.S. to different events.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Ouabashe Valley Frontiersmen. Our home club is about an hour north of Terre Haute but our members travel all over the Midwest and Eastern U.S. to different events.
    Sounds like a great bunch of folks you shoot with. The club I am in(Twin Rivers M/L)is a small club maybe 15 active people. But, the club itself was founded in 1954. It is nice to be around like minded and helpful folks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom