• ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Saw it tonight.

REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Thread title says spoilers, so don't read this unless you're prepared.

There was only 1 "colonizer" reference that I thought was too much. It was also out of context.

But, otherwise, I *really* like how they wove in the American "black experience" (whatever that is in a general way) with a story about a fictional African kingdom.

Good themes and the good guys/bad guys aren't necessarily clear. Well, they are, but the motivations maybe aren't.

The Marvel writers are doing some really smart writing for the last few movies.

(Can't wait for Deadpool 2.) :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, this is odd.

Its almost like INGO wasn't looking forward to this movie as much as I was....

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I went and saw it yesterday. It was pretty, but I really wasn't that impressed. It was a Marvel movie. But didn't seem to focus on the super hero aspect a lot. We had a heck of a time finding a theater with tickets. I'm sure it will break records. I guess I just don't get it.

Jason

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fair enough. It didn't follow the typical super hero formula, that's for sure.

Did you see or like Spider Man: Homecoming?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was able to see this today and really liked it.

It was a pretty creative way to tell an origin story and give the character depth. I thought it was well done.

Trailer for Ant Man and the Wasp was also interesting.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My son and I will be seeing in this coming weekend.
    I've read some stories on Screenrant on it so spoilers don't bother me.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm probably going to see it this week. Is a Dashiki required for admittance?

Just saw it this past Saturday and there were a few people rocking Dashiki’s. Saw lots of folks dancing during the ending credits. Awesome movie (thinking about going to see it again) but really nice to see folks coming out to enjoy themselves and have a good time.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just saw it this past Saturday and there were a few people rocking Dashiki’s. Saw lots of folks dancing during the ending credits. Awesome movie (thinking about going to see it again) but really nice to see folks coming out to enjoy themselves and have a good time.

Geez... I wonder if they raided their parent's vintage stuff.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I meet with a group of guys every Monday and this movie was brought up. I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't realize how "big of a deal" it was to the black community. I'm guessing it'll make a decent amount of money because it's drawing in some people who others may not go see just another Marvel movie.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm probably going to see it this week. Is a Dashiki required for admittance?

Not required, but you can borrow mine if you want. ;)

This is a GREAT article about some of the themes.
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/27274/black-panther-review-deeply-conservative-movie-paul-bois

I've been a bit (but only a bit) troubled by the emphasis on "blackness" in the reporting on the movie. I understand it, mostly because I grew up in an era of "First black person to do this... first black person to do that...." I am absolutely on board with the idea that people of all ancestries should have people to look up to.

But ultimately, this is entertainment. A superhero movie. This isn't even In the Heat of the Night or Guess Who's Coming to Dinner or Blazing Saddles. This isn't Jackie Robinson. Or Kenny Washington. (I still remember my dad explaining to me that some people thought black players didn't have the skills to play quarterback. Didn't make sense to me.)

I think it is GREAT for what it is: a group of talented people with unique insight into certain themes coming together to make a wonderfully structured, beautifully realized, and above all entertaining fantasy movie.

I also think the meteor that crashed into Wakanda will be linked to the Soul Stone.

ETA:
    Wait.

I'm not ACTUALLY old enough to remember Kenny Washington. The conversation with dad was related to Warren Moon, IIRC.

Last edited:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Definitely a good Marvel movie. Would like to see more. I imagine a movie about the unintended consequences of sharing "benign" (medical, for example) tech with the world.

That said, the whole "First black superhero movie" mantra really irks me. The usual ones mentioned in other threads aside...Blade. Three movies. Black superhero. Marvel.

I really liked the remote control tech and the general stopping the charging rhino. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Definitely a good Marvel movie. Would like to see more. I imagine a movie about the unintended consequences of sharing "benign" (medical, for example) tech with the world.

That said, the whole "First black superhero movie" mantra really irks me. The usual ones mentioned in other threads aside...Blade. Three movies. Black superhero. Marvel.

I really liked the remote control tech and the general stopping the charging rhino. :)

Blade & ... I forget, because it was so bad ... weren't really based on any African or African-American themes, they were just superhero movies that had a big name actor attached, who happened to be black.

Black Panther is a movie where, no, Christian Bale couldn't play the role because it is intrinsically a black role.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Kut - post up when you see it. There's one particular scene that I'll be interested to get your perspective on.

I think it included a bit of ... pandering to a very specific audience. But I'm having trouble even articulating why I think so, because there's a context to it where it makes sense. To put it another way, when this happens, the reasons for it happening this way are indistinct. So, it can be viewed a couple different ways.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut - post up when you see it. There's one particular scene that I'll be interested to get your perspective on.

I think it included a bit of ... pandering to a very specific audience. But I'm having trouble even articulating why I think so, because there's a context to it where it makes sense. To put it another way, when this happens, the reasons for it happening this way are indistinct. So, it can be viewed a couple different ways.

Will do

Top Bottom