• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I saw that earlier today. Kentucky has black bear but most of those are in the southeastern part of the state near the Appalachian mountains. Wonder where that bear came from.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have enough with cats and coons in my trash. Really don't need a black bear in it too. Yes I know there native to indiana but haven't been around for a good bit. I don't see anything positive from them coming back.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    The black bear population isn’t near enough to have that sort of effect. This is only 1 bear, it would take a while before we’re discussing them being a pest. Also, I do agree with your comment, when it gets to that population time to open a hunting season and get numbers down, but they have as much right to the land as we do... it isn’t our place to interfere with their travels and home as long as it doesn’t invade my home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The black bear population isn’t near enough to have that sort of effect. This is only 1 bear, it would take a while before we’re discussing them being a pest. Also, I do agree with your comment, when it gets to that population time to open a hunting season and get numbers down, but they have as much right to the land as we do... it isn’t our place to interfere with their travels and home as long as it doesn’t invade my home.
    But there in lay the real issues. They will come around as they know no limits/boundary's.
    I am all for them having free range in the land but we are running out of free range lands. They will seek out the easy food sources.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    But there in lay the real issues. They will come around as they know no limits/boundary's.
    I am all for them having free range in the land but we are running out of free range lands. They will seek out the easy food sources.
    Yep like calves, goats, and hogs. Then they get shot.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    And then they become a rug. Personally I've always thought a bear skin rug would rather be a cool addition to my home decor.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Going to be a LONG time before bears become any sort of actual issue in Indiana. Plenty of other states are thick with them, and they are rarely problems.

A co-worker sees bear on her property (Colorado) pretty much every week. She keeps her trash up, and all of the normal precautions (that we should all do anyway), and has never had an issue.

Personally, I like the idea of nature returning to the land.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Going to be a LONG time before bears become any sort of actual issue in Indiana. Plenty of other states are thick with them, and they are rarely problems.

A co-worker sees bear on her property (Colorado) pretty much every week. She keeps her trash up, and all of the normal precautions (that we should all do anyway), and has never had an issue.

Personally, I like the idea of nature returning to the land.
    What are the normal precautions?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What are the normal precautions?

Don't leave food, garbage, trash out. Don't leave birdfeeders out, or at least try to critter-proof them. Clean your BBQ grill. Critter-proof your garden. Don't leave small pets out unattended. Don't leave small children out unattended.

Interesting enough, this all helps with more than bears. Wild things are attracted to an easy meal. Make it inconvenient, and they move on.

Even works on the 2-legged wild things. :-)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    We have a few mountain lions around my area. The conservative officer told us to be armed with a pistol while in the woods just incase of a run in. They have attacked a few horses didn't kill them but scratch them up pretty good about 6 miles from my home. They believe it's a female with cubs. This happened some time ago so I would imagine they are full grown by now. No one has spotted them yet. So far just tracks, and the damage done to the horses.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    This is only 1 bear, it would take a while before we’re discussing them being a pest.
    In areas where black bears and humans interface semi regularly, it takes 1 bear to be a major pain - knocking over trash cans - trying to get anywhere that they smell food - tearing up tents if near camping. I learned to hate black bears entirely at a remote campsite that was canoe access only. I just verified that it is not legal to shoot them as a pest in Indiana, otherwise , 270 Win.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Send it to Perry Co., maybe it'll help keep you flatlanders out. Heck, I'd even be willing to go pick it up. Just need to make sure there's a few pic-a-nick baskets in the back seat.
    In other bear news, here in Perry there was a mother bear with a cub spotted in the Mogan Ridge section of the HNF just recently.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I REALLY want to go bear hunting
    You can get kicked off of Facebook for 7 days for saying that. I know this.
    We just need to build more Mcmansions in every available space, eventually we’ll crowd everything else out and they’ll move somewhere else.
    Give it a few more years. Shouldn't take long, particularly with a wide open border.

1624969525880.png

Top Bottom