• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Don't know why, but I seem to have an itch to hunt a black bear. I am from Indiana and would like to keep within 700-800 miles. I know nothing about this and also not looking for a huge bear, just a bear. Hope someone here has information on a reputable outfitter and location. I read where NC was one of the good states for Black Bears.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Over the counter tags are rare. I have property in Michigan that takes twelve to fifteen years to get drawn for. Crawling with bears last year. IMG_20210802_061734656.jpg

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    NC is crawling with bears. I shot my last one in Pasquotank County. If you're a veteran with at least 60% VA disability you qualify for resident rates. Outdoor Access is a great option for getting access to property to hunt.

Greenbrier County, WV is another excellent option. Again, Outdoor Access may be helpful in finding a place. I believe Greenbrier may be the only WV county with a 2 bear limit due to a very healthy population. Non-resident rates were under $400 a few years ago when I hunted there.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    NC has a reputation as the home of the largest black bears in the world and the outfitters are priced accordingly and then some from what I've seen. Maine is probably one of your better options for a reasonably priced outfitter but it also has a reputation for a lot of poorly run, minimal effort operations. PA has fairly cheap tags and a good amount of land for a DIY hunt but hunting is tough and success is low. Your best bet for a reasonable price with high success rates is probably north of the border.

Top Bottom