• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FisbO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I'll be purchasing a large green egg in a few weeks and need some smoked rib and pork shoulder recipes. Thanks!

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    lucky

Boy are you in for a good time. Lucky you. I'd love to have a BGE. I don't have any recipes right now, but I'll look for some later today.

Jason

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    For Ribs I uses the 3-2-1 method 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours foiled, and then sauce and back on the grate with no foil

For butts I run around 250 until the bone wiggles, then I rest for an hour in a cooler and pull.

I can't hardly give out my competition recipes, but for a basic rub I like to use grippos seasoning, lawrys seasoned salt and brown sugar, and i coat the meat with a little mustard to help it stick.

For store brand sauces I like Sweet Baby Rays mixed with Chicken and Ribs, or my personal favorite, Garland Jacks Hickory spice, if you can find it.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Go to Eggheadforum.com for good receipes. I've been using my Egg for about 6 months and love it. I use to stay up overnight checking my temps to make sure pulled pork would come out right. The Egg holds temp perfectly and there's no need to add fuel. I learned a turbo method for pulled pork that has great results and can get you some wonderful pulled pork in about 7 hours. I gave up on ribs. You just can't beat Texas Roadhouse.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    You can run them with out the foil to get more bark it may take a little longer unless your raise them temps up. I haven't really worried about bark on my ribs that's more of a brisket or butt concern.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my BGE.

Chickens, turkeys, ribs, pork butt, brisket, burgers, steaks, meatloaf, pizza, breads, chocolate chip cookies. It is all sooo good.

As others have said check out the various forums. Green eggers.com, thenakedwhiz.com. Weber virtual bullet.com is good too, just have to adapt the recipes to the BGE but it's easy enough to do.

Which size did you get? I have a large and am very happy with it. The XL would be overkill for all but the biggest families and the medium would be too small.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Which size did you get? I have a large and am very happy with it. The XL would be overkill for all but the biggest families and the medium would be too small.

This is where I'm at. I'm looking into getting one of these. I think a large would be good but we always have a decent group over which is sure to increase after using one of these. I'm thinking that the XL may be the way to go.

I'd like to make a couple of UDS's but am having a hard time finding decent drums.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    This is where I'm at. I'm looking into getting one of these. I think a large would be good but we always have a decent group over which is sure to increase after using one of these. I'm thinking that the XL may be the way to go.

I'd like to make a couple of UDS's but am having a hard time finding decent drums.

Be very careful in getting the XL. I know someone who has one and is considering trading down to a Large. It's a fuel HOG from what he says. Want to cook 5 burgers for the family? It's going to use the same fuel as 30.

I can cool a LOT of food on the L. Unless you are a commercial operation I don't see the benefit.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    For a good beginers rub google rudys rub. I smoke my butts very slow 225 for several hours but i also have a water pail in my smoker that introduces moisture and i rub them with mapple syrup and rudys and put them in i pie plate to carch the drippings and after its pulled put about a cup of the flavor filled juice back in.

Oh and i prefer smoking pork with apple wood

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Invest in a couple of good BBQ cook books and rotate through a variety of recipes. I'd suggest The Big Bob Gibson's Cookbook, as a start. Pitmaster Chris Lilly is a world champ when it comes to BBQ. There are a few others out there by BBQ pros that would do the job, too. The Southern Living Big Book of BBQ is a good one, too. You can never have enough BBQ related sources. Especially when most of these come from the pros.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I think the large is plenty big enough unless you are frequently cooking for moremthan a dozen people. I built my own table using some plans from the internet. My cost was around $100 and it is nicer than the $500 tables at the BGE store. I just did a pork butt today for 12 hours. It was delicious. I think I'm declaring every Friday a pulled pork Friday.

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Pork butt is pretty easy and a forgiving cut. I mix up a rub of kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper all in a base of brown sugar - a lot of brown sugar and watch the salt.

I do not brine my pork butts. I rinse them off under cold water and pat dry then rub the whole thing with the rub. I like to use nitrile gloves.

With the BGE, you can probably stick that thing on 240 degrees or so and just let it ride. Use a good digital thermometer for the butt. I like to go to 195.

Once finish the butt is done, I remove and wrap in heavy duty foil, wrap in beach towel and stick in a cooler. Let the thing rest. I've let my butts rest all afternoon and they remain hot.

We prefer not to sauce. We stack a big bun high with the pulled pork, top with Sweet Baby Rays and a dollop of fresh coleslaw.

With all of that said, I'm off to the market tomorrow to buy a couple butts to celebrate the successful end of my boys' school year. I now have a 3rd year law student and a junior undergrad on his way to med school. Just like Willy and Waylon said, "Don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."

bushlight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Check out The smoke ring.com.Alot of good reading on that site.Or amazingribs .com. Now i need to break my drum out and smoke something.

Top Bottom