• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I thought it was going to be "Jugs" of powder in the 8lb variety or something!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    NOTHING like the sound of a big, beautiful radial starting and idling. (skip ahead to the 1 minute mark.)

[video=youtube_share;OnlE0CbJU7Q]http://youtu.be/OnlE0CbJU7Q?t=70[/video]

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    A beautiful woman flying a Jug topless...that would be awesome. Aerobreastics errrr aerobatics would take on a whole different aspect.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In the third photo down you can see one of the older models in the top right, as evidenced by the "razorback" configuration. I always thought those looked cooler, but the bubble canopy on the later models gave the pilot better SA.

The later p47's and the corsair (which used the same engine) were very powerful. Maybe the most powerful single engine planes of their time. And with 6 .50 cals in the wings, they could tear stuff up in a hurry.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    NOTHING like the sound of a big, beautiful radial starting and idling. (skip ahead to the 1 minute mark.)

[video=youtube_share;OnlE0CbJU7Q]http://youtu.be/OnlE0CbJU7Q?t=70[/video]

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cameramonkey again.

[video]You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cameramonkey again.[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In the third photo down you can see one of the older models in the top right, as evidenced by the "razorback" configuration. I always thought those looked cooler, but the bubble canopy on the later models gave the pilot better SA.

The later p47's and the corsair (which used the same engine) were very powerful. Maybe the most powerful single engine planes of their time. And with 6 .50 cals in the wings, they could tear stuff up in a hurry.

I like the Corsair over the Jug. JMHO as that airframe is just more appealing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

:yesway:

I would argue that the Corsair is the most graceful propeller-driven aircraft ever built. I also feel some local loyalty to the Jug since they were built in Evansville, thus an Indiana product.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

A very graceful aircraft, just beautiful. The Jug has a certain appeal to me though. It's simple, rugged, and carries a lot of combat power. There is a reason they named the uglier, but waaaay badder A-10 after it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A very graceful aircraft, just beautiful. The Jug has a certain appeal to me though. It's simple, rugged, and carries a lot of combat power. There is a reason they named the uglier, but waaaay badder A-10 after it.

The A-10 is just a mean and evil aircraft.
    It is what we get when smart people build an entire airframe around a gun platform

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

It's worse, they actually had eight .50 caliber guns, four in each wing in a staggered arrangement. Some carried six, but it was designed for eight plus 2500lbs of party favors.

Design Analysis of the P-47 Thunderbolt

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It's worse, they actually had eight .50 caliber guns, four in each wing in a staggered arrangement. Some carried six, but it was designed for eight plus 2500lbs of party favors.

Design Analysis of the P-47 Thunderbolt

Well I was thinking 8, but the pics I was looking at had 6, so I figured I mis-remembered. That second guessing comes from years of my wife telling me I'm not remembering things correctly :lmfao:

Top Bottom