• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys, I could really use your input here, I’m no blade expert.

I need to replace my 30-y/o estwing hand axe, and I’m at a loss in finding a replacement. I found and purchased the current version of the same hand axe I already had, but it is not the same. The balance, the finish, the handle, even he grind just feels…off…like, cheaper feeling , if that makes sense.

I have seen some really expensive hand axes online, and I wouldn't mind paying extra for a high-quality hand-forged American-made piece, but I don’t want to overspend for ego or buy an expensive collector’s item when I plan to use it in the field.

What suggestions does INGO have? Is there a standout hand axe I should know about?

Thanks in advance for reading my thread!

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I'm surprised the Estwing didn't work out for you. I have a couple of their hand tools including hatchet and rock hammer and I wouldnt use anything else.

I've spent quite a bit of time swinging a friend's Hoffman hatchet and another's Hults Almike Hatchet. I liked the feel of both in the hand - plus they have that classic wood handle construction. Hope this helps your search!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A heads up, Estwing makes two, a woodsman’s friend and a splitting fireside friend type for kindling this may be your issue. Depending on you’re needs look at a straight handle or the fawns foot curved handle. Lots out there try shopping at a dedicated camp store that may have several to check out. Good luck.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Use case is missing. What are you wanting the hand axe to do and where and when are you going to use it?

Mainly for firewood, driving stakes and basic camp use, splitting the pelvis of large game, tactical tomohawk, carry in the truck or carrying on the trail.

I think last time I was at the carpenters supply store in Indy the east wing rep was in the building and I saw at least 7 hand axe's and a roofers hammer on display. Since it was at a supply store I bet they make at least 7 probably more than that which he did not have with him.

Since I have several east wing hammers and mineral I saw one I had not seen before and purchased it from the rep on the spot. I believe they called it a special edition campers axe 26 leather. What a name but most of my east wing hammers and a few axes are the leather stack handles and I had seen the campers axe 26 before but not the leather spacer handle on one.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Hey guys, I could really use your input here, I’m no blade expert.

I need to replace my 30-y/o estwing hand axe, and I’m at a loss in finding a replacement. I found and purchased the current version of the same hand axe I already had, but it is not the same. The balance, the finish, the handle, even he grind just feels…off…like, cheaper feeling , if that makes sense.

I have seen some really expensive hand axes online, and I wouldn't mind paying extra for a high-quality hand-forged American-made piece, but I don’t want to overspend for ego or buy an expensive collector’s item when I plan to use it in the field.

What suggestions does INGO have? Is there a standout hand axe I should know about?

Thanks in advance for reading my thread!
    I ran into the same issue and started looking around the Tennessee Area for Custom Sets - Hatchet, Hammer, Full Size Axe. These combos can run around $300 to $600 but give you great materials and sometimes custom designs. Hope the photos help!

Attachments

• PSX_20221026_152846.jpg
      PSX_20221026_152846.jpg
      863.2 KB · Views: 15
    • PSX_20221120_163219.jpg
      PSX_20221120_163219.jpg
      970.8 KB · Views: 15
    • PSX_20221124_132236.jpg
      PSX_20221124_132236.jpg
      927.9 KB · Views: 15

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    @Bluehazemay, I really like those axes, and you are definitely on the same wavelength as me on my search. I ended up finding a gently used Hults Bruk Almike hatchet that checked off all my boxes, and the owner let me have it for a song, so I couldn’t pass it up.

I have no idea how to post photos, but here’s the REI listing for the same axe new:

I almost choked when I saw the retail price, lol, but I expect this one will last me the rest of my life, and hopefully get passed on again.

Top Bottom