• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The whole idea about the bike is to get exercisr. If you are serious about this you need to hve something reliable and fun, My wife left out a "Self" magazine once, On every other page the had success stories and picture. They each had a couple of paragraphs for some thought. Each one stated that they had family and work that kept them busy. For them to be successful with their program, they had to make the time and to adhere to it

You won't be happy with a bik fom Walmart of Target. I went to a bicycle store and bought a "Trek" brand. I had them place a speedometer and a tripometer on it for feedback. I didn't get the cheapest and not the most expensive,,You sat upright instead of the touring handlebars. Also think about a pair of the padd or gel seats.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Always check craigslist if you don't "NEED" new. I know its not the type of bike you're looking for but I picked up a Specialized HardRock Sport for around $200. It was about a year old and looked almost brand new. The guy got it from a friend that bought it and decided he wasn't into trails. The friend paid over $550 for it new. Only thing that it really needs is an upgraded seat.

Probably best to avoid Dicks, Target, Walmart and similar stores as they have high school kids putting bikes together just to get them so they can roll out the door.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I would get a bicycle with gear selection. I started many years ago riding for the same reason and got a bicycle that I didn't need to shift, the gears shifted automatically as I rode. The bikes I remembered as a kid were difficult to shift so I bought something that I didn't have to shift. The problem was that as I got stronger and rode further, I wanted to change the gear ratio but couldn't - I outgrew the bike.
    I ended up buying a Specialized comfort bike from the Bike Shop in Shelbyville.

You might find that you will outgrow a single speed bike faster than you think. Good Luck. :)

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Nice seeing you again, Caleb. Thanks for the advice and a handshake.

I want a single speed because I want to keep it simple and utilitarian. I'll be using it to bike to the store and work and that's probably it. I am a dumb caveman and I rode a Giant Mountain Bike today. I jammed the gears in about .4 seconds.

Depending on price, these are some of the bikes I've narrowed it down to:

Soho S - Trek Bicycle

Triton - Trek Bicycle

2011 Scattante Americano 3 Single-Speed Road Bike - Courier Series - City Bikes

2011 Scattante Americano 1 Single-Speed Road Bike - Courier Series - City Bikes

2010 Cannondale Capo 2 Urban / City Bike: Various Sizes - o2gearshop.com

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    In shopping for price, don't overlook the importance of the bike fitting you well. Another reason to avoid department store bikes -- there's likely no one there to help fit you to the bike, or to make necessary adjustments (both at time of sale, and after). I've had good luck at Grey Goat, ICS, BGI and Bike Line.

I know that you've already spoken to your desire for a single-speed, but I'd sure encourage you to give one last consideration to the expanded capabilities of a multi-speed bike. If you'll stick with a Shimano 105 groupset (or equivalent), as minimum, then you'll have little chance of troubles / reliability issues with the increased complexities of multi-speed vs single-speed.

And wear a helmet! :D

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    In shopping for price, don't overlook the importance of the bike fitting you well. Another reason to avoid department store bikes -- there's likely no one there to help fit you to the bike, or to make necessary adjustments (both at time of sale, and after). I've had good luck at Grey Goat, ICS, BGI and Bike Line.

I know that you've already spoken to your desire for a single-speed, but I'd sure encourage you to give one last consideration to the expanded capabilities of a multi-speed bike. If you'll stick with a Shimano 105 groupset (or equivalent), as minimum, then you'll have little chance of troubles / reliability issues with the increased complexities of multi-speed vs single-speed.

And wear a helmet! :D

Couldn't agree with this more. Here is the one I wear if I'm doing anything but road riding.

dallas-pink.gif

Here is my road helmet.

kittypinkhelmet.jpg

Also make sure you wear a lot of spandex. You're given much more respect if your spandex matches and is EXTRA tight.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Also think about a pair of the padd or gel seats.

Agreed a good padded &/or gel seat does make a world of difference, especially after riding any sort of distance.

Probably best to avoid Dicks, Target, Walmart and similar stores as they have high school kids putting bikes together just to get them so they can roll out the door.

IMHO new owners should always get their bicycle manual out, strip down, re-setup & re-lubricate their bicycle once they get it home anyway.

That intimate knowledge of their new bicycle will come in very handy when that bicycle "breaks down" while out riding it, & trust me it will happen sooner or later no-matter how much they paid for their bicycle LOL.

You might find that you will outgrow a single speed bike faster than you think.

Agreed, I am guessing by the first serious hill/incline they attempt to ride up they'll be cursing their "single speed only" decision.

I want a single speed because I want to keep it simple and utilitarian. I'll be using it to bike to the store and work and that's probably it. I am a dumb caveman and I rode a Giant Mountain Bike today. I jammed the gears in about .4 seconds.
    http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/p...=27209&zmam=55982562&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=27209

Understood man but gears really do make a big difference w/regards to improving the quality of your riding experience, especially on any sort of steep &/or prolonged incline in the terrain, they also help a rider dial in their gear for a comfortable cadence, which makes going farther, easier.

Seriously man we wouldn't be harping on it if we didn't think you'd really get more riding enjoyment from riding a geared bicycle.

In shopping for price, don't overlook the importance of the bike fitting you well.

Agreed, thankfully they've started making larger framed bicycles for us larger framed guys, only problem is that when park my bicycle next to others in a rack, it looks monstrous in comparison, but man is it comfortable for me to ride.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Find a good local bike shop and get fitted. This way you know what size bike you need and where to find the size on the bikes. Test ride as many as you can and see what one you want. Then test ride a few more.

A bike is a bike just like a compound bow is a bow. Anything will work, The cost goes up quickly for a little bit if improvement, lots of people want the lastest model and resale always cost you to upgrade. Do get a good brand, Trek, cannondale, Iron horse, And Smith and Wessons tatical police bike. Most of my experance is mountian or trail bikes. That Smioth and wesson police bike is pretty cool looking maybe you can setup something like it as a semi crusier.

Summer is nearing an end. Lots of bikes are going to be sitting in the garage till next spring. Find a nice deal on one. Also lots of bikes are sold when kids go to colege. Within a month those sales will be gone and the shops will be wanting to deal before the new models role in.

I have a old mountian bike. Just front shocks and a hard tail. I loved it and rode it everywhere for a few years. Over time i went to fat but smooth lined tires as most of my rifing was in town or country roads. I put the knobbies back on if I want to ride to a tree stand or work at the family farm. I never liked the curved under handle bars. Get a couple cat's eye lights for the front and a LED red flasher for the back to extend riding times. It needs some attention right now but I like riding it if I can keep air in the rear tires.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    IMHO new owners should always get their bicycle manual out, strip down, re-setup & re-lubricate their bicycle once they get it home anyway.

Just because they should doesn't mean that very many do. Better off not starting with something set up for failure.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I got an old Huffy 10 speed from Good Will for a $1 awhile back.
    Good deals can be found out there if you look.
    Unfortunately, some NESMFer stole it off my porch and wrapped it around one of the light poles in his attempt to get away.

Top Bottom