• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    If anyone is interested, the bike shop I work at part time has a Saturday morning group ride at 8am. We have 2 groups that split after 12ish miles, 1 group turns back for 25ish miles. The second continues on for 50 miles. We leave Gray Goat on the southside and head south into the corn fields of johnson county

Grey goat ride goes thru my neighborhood. I've jumped on a couple of times. But I tend to do my own routes which include many of the Goat roads.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I've been riding seriously since 2008. I first got on a bike my senior year in high school a long time ago. Was doing 200 miles a week back then on a used 1987 Centurion. I still have it.

After the kids grew up, I bought a hard tail Trek MTB to ride around in the neighborhood with my kids. Still have that bike also. In 2007, I ride the NITE ride on my old Centurion and thst ignited the bicycle lover in me again. In 2008 I bought a new Trek 2.3 from Matthews (I've bought all my bikes there) and started riding a lot.

Im riding about 75 miles per week in the summer months. Too many hobbies and work make it hard to do more than that. This past winter I got onto Zwift. Wow! Zwift is awesome. I actually look forward to indoor riding on Zwift. The racing and group rides are a blast!

Since 2008, I'm riding about 2000 to 2500 miles a year. With Zwift, I'll easily pass 2500 this year and get close to 3200.

Maybe be we need an INGO bike event?

The Hope Indiana ride is one of my favorites, I've done it ten years in a row. but this year I'm going to try the Willkie Days event in Rushville. Also looking at the Hilly thus year. I also do a bit of riding with the Cure Chasers bike group on Meetup.com

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    tbhausen had a Rans Kinetik but it sold fast... he might still have a CLWB Rans Wave but nothing else like you describe.

We'll Bicycle Garage Indy - North had a season close out sale this weekend, tons of people there. I found a men's Electra, Townie on their pre-sale list and come Monday they still had it, so I got the full discount and saved a bunch. I wanted a cheap used bike but none fit me but with the townie I can stand flat footed, setting on the seat and still get good leg extention while riding. Plus, it has fenders, 7 speed Shamono gears, rim brakes, reflectors and Dynamo lighting along with a comfortable seat. So I think I'm good to go now, time will tell.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Finished off the month of August with 666 miles (no wonder it was so hot! :):).

The last week of August was my highest mileage week of the year so far at 211 miles.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    We'll Bicycle Garage Indy - North had a season close out sale this weekend, tons of people there. I found a men's Electra, Townie on their pre-sale list and come Monday they still had it, so I got the full discount and saved a bunch. I wanted a cheap used bike but none fit me but with the townie I can stand flat footed, setting on the seat and still get good leg extention while riding. Plus, it has fenders, 7 speed Shamono gears, rim brakes, reflectors and Dynamo lighting along with a comfortable seat. So I think I'm good to go now, time will tell.

I was there on Monday also. I have been looking for a Hybrid style bike and ended up coming home with a 2019 Trek Dual Sport 3. Being I waited till Monday I also got a very good deal. There were a lot of people there and they were selling a lot of bikes.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I plan on signing up for the Hilly later this week. It's a bucket list ride for me. Honestly, I hate paying money to ride on public roads in an event like this. I currently pay for license plates for five vehicles.. So I already pay plenty of road use taxes! But, I like the food stops, the lunches, and it's fun riding with hundreds or thousands of other riders at the organized events and I understand the costs, and most of the rides benefit a charity.

I rode 45 miles this past Sunday on a course very similar to the first day of the Hilly, 2600 feet of climbing. And it didn't cost me a dime except for the bottle of Gatorade I bought at a gas station. Many folks don't believe they could complete a ride longer than 20 miles unless there is SAG support. It's really not a problem as long as you plan to stop at the occasional gas station for water and/or snacks.

My daughter and I rode the Hancock County Flat 50 two weeks ago. Only 950 feet of climbing there , but lots of headwind. 3 hour ride time. My daughter was struggling at 40 miles and I pulled for her most of the ride. She did great. Even with her being slow for the last ten miles or so, we still averaged about 16.5moh. The lunch was good there... And beer...and a great band for entertainment.

20 miles tonight at a lazy 14.5mph average. It as nice and relaxing. And muggy with humidity.

With the daylight hours ending sooner and sooner, it's getting more difficult to put in more than 20 miles after work and dinner. I might have to re-start my Zwift account sooner than planned. I was going to turn it on in November. But maybe I'll get it going again in early October. If you're not on Zwift, I highly recommend it. I hated riding indoors in the past. With Zwift, I absolutely look forward to riding indoors. The racing and group rides are a lot of fun. The hardware costs a bit of coin initially. I picked up a lightly used smart trainer on Craig's List for a steal. I can't say enough good things about Zwift. It kept me riding all winter, at all times of the day and night. It did make me a bit sloppy though. Being clamped into a trainer doesn't require any balance or form. When I got back onto the road in the spring, I saw myself riding sloppy. I might break out my rollers this winter and mix in a bit or roller riding once a week along with zwift, just to keep from getting sloppy. Rollers make you ride smoothly.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    24 miles yesterday, plus 7 for the round trip to work.

Went to the bar later, drank six PBRs, I don't understand why the pounds aren't just falling off me. :laugh:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Met a guy in my neighborhood that is mountain biking quite a bit. He bikes alone so he got his wife to ride with him but she just does it so he has someone to ride with. I bought a mountain bike when I move to Bloomington 5 years ago and have barely ridden it due to my home reno taking all of my free time.

I'm going to put a couple new tubes in tonight and ride around the neighborhood and see if I still remember how to ride before I start going to Brown County with him.:)

I need to figure out the gearing so I'm punching the right levers instead of hunting around for the correct gear when I encounter the hills out there.

I was a road rider for a long time. Off road, I have done very little and what I have done was mostly flat terrain.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've been riding seriously since 2008. I first got on a bike my senior year in high school a long time ago. Was doing 200 miles a week back then on a used 1987 Centurion. I still have it.

After the kids grew up, I bought a hard tail Trek MTB to ride around in the neighborhood with my kids. Still have that bike also. In 2007, I ride the NITE ride on my old Centurion and thst ignited the bicycle lover in me again. In 2008 I bought a new Trek 2.3 from Matthews (I've bought all my bikes there) and started riding a lot.

Im riding about 75 miles per week in the summer months. Too many hobbies and work make it hard to do more than that. This past winter I got onto Zwift. Wow! Zwift is awesome. I actually look forward to indoor riding on Zwift. The racing and group rides are a blast!

Since 2008, I'm riding about 2000 to 2500 miles a year. With Zwift, I'll easily pass 2500 this year and get close to 3200.

Maybe be we need an INGO bike event?

The Hope Indiana ride is one of my favorites, I've done it ten years in a row. but this year I'm going to try the Willkie Days event in Rushville. Also looking at the Hilly thus year. I also do a bit of riding with the Cure Chasers bike group on Meetup.com

Doug,

That's awesome! I wish I had started this 10 years ago, but I am not disappointed with the progress I've made this summer.

I purchased a smart trainer a few weeks ago and set it up in my basement along with a TV, and I've also subscribed to Zwift. I haven't actually used it yet, but once it starts getting cold outside I will be using it on a regular basis. We'll probably be seeing each other on the virtual course this fall.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The Hope Indiana ride is one of my favorites...

We were just through Hope this weekend for the Midwest Tandem Rally. Got to test ride a full carbon Calfee tandem with electronic shifting. WoW! A great ride but a big chunk of coin, although if we get 20 years out of it like our current tandem it will be easier to justify.

I plan on signing up for the Hilly later this week. It's a bucket list ride for me. Honestly, I hate paying money to ride on public roads in an event like this...

You are paying money to ride in the event, not for using public roads. If you don't want to pay then ride those roads the other 364 days of the year. Be sure to make your own map so you don't get lost, buy your own food, call your wife if you need on the road support. Instead of Hilly we have been doing a ride nearer Nashville with a friend who lives there.

If you're not on Zwift, I highly recommend it. I hated riding indoors in the past. With Zwift, I absolutely look forward to riding indoors...

My wife Zwifted this past winter. What a great concept that incorporates many of the enjoyable aspects of riding in the summer. The social aspect of showing up to a group ride on time and getting razzed if you blow it off. The virtual equipment upgrades just like you get if you become more serious in real life. Variable resistance to match the terrain. She enjoyed it but I just despise riding indoors and prefer outside or rollers.

I might break out my rollers this winter and mix in a bit or roller riding once a week along with zwift, just to keep from getting sloppy. Rollers make you ride smoothly.

I wish some of the basement squirrels I ride with used rollers. They come out in the spring really strong but can't ride a straight line to save their life (or mine).

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I plan on signing up for the Hilly later this week. It's a bucket list ride for me. Honestly, I hate paying money to ride on public roads in an event like this. I currently pay for license plates for five vehicles.. So I already pay plenty of road use taxes! But, I like the food stops, the lunches, and it's fun riding with hundreds or thousands of other riders at the organized events and I understand the costs, and most of the rides benefit a charity.
    We haven't paid for the Hilly in years - we volunteer and ride free. Done everything from minding the sleeping bag areas to ushering the evening program to helping with registration. Getting ready to bundle up - this year's ride is likely to be cold.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    22 miles yesterday plus work commute. Made a horrible mistake and decided to do it in NE Monroe County.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    If anyone is interested, the bike shop I work at part time has a Saturday morning group ride at 8am. We have 2 groups that split after 12ish miles, 1 group turns back for 25ish miles. The second continues on for 50 miles. We leave Gray Goat on the southside and head south into the corn fields of johnson county

Gray Goat, eh? I see they're a Specialized dealer and was creeping their website a couple of weeks ago. I rented a Specialized Roll while visiting Anchorage, Alaska last month. The wife rode the Roll Low Entry model. Neither of us have ridden in a few years and liked the way these rode. What's your impression of the Roll? I'm figuring if these were used by a livery (Pablo's Bicycle Rentals), they must be durable (and affordable) unit. My twice-broken tailbone, a souvenir of my "Hey y'all, watch this!" phase spanning my teens, 20s and 30s years, felt good after a 22-mile trip on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Neither of us are looking for anything too elaborate, just something to get us up and down the many paved bike trails around the midwest.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    Gray Goat, eh? I see they're a Specialized dealer and was creeping their website a couple of weeks ago. I rented a Specialized Roll while visiting Anchorage, Alaska last month. The wife rode the Roll Low Entry model. Neither of us have ridden in a few years and liked the way these rode. What's your impression of the Roll? I'm figuring if these were used by a livery (Pablo's Bicycle Rentals), they must be durable (and affordable) unit. My twice-broken tailbone, a souvenir of my "Hey y'all, watch this!" phase spanning my teens, 20s and 30s years, felt good after a 22-mile trip on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Neither of us are looking for anything too elaborate, just something to get us up and down the many paved bike trails around the midwest.

I like the Roll, not for me but for the person who wants its features. Smooth ride, decent weight, solid build options. They have offered a couple of special editions over the years that ALMOST got me to get one.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Rode the Catrike with the local recumbant club on Thursday. Thirty-five mile round trip between Peru and Logansport, along the South bank of the Wabash river.

Rode 19 miles on Tuesday with some friends over at Prophetstown S.P. on my Cannondale Quick. The trails over there are nice and wide.

Top Bottom