• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Lets say I have a cheap hi-point 9mm pistol and a 5 gallon bucket. What is the best way for me pack it. Besides ammo and magazines what else should I include in the bucket?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Desiccant for one. I've heard of guys oiling up the handgun really well, and bagging it. Pack some rags to wipe it down when you dig it up.

Odd thought: My wife has one of those vacuum storage things for food. You know, you bag the food, then the machine draws a vacuum and heat seals the bag. You could pack the handgun in one with some desiccant, and then the ammo (and more desiccant) in another. Seal in a waterproof container (your bucket) and bury where it is not likely to get water logged.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Be aware, if you just bury it 2-3 feet deep hydrostatic pressure and the pressures created by the freeze-thaw cycle will eventually push it out of the ground. Ever wonder why a grave was at least 6 feet deep?
    At the very least it needs to be below the frost line which is at least 3 feet, 4-5 feet would be better.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Lets say I have a cheap hi-point 9mm pistol and a 5 gallon bucket. What is the best way for me pack it. Besides ammo and magazines what else should I include in the bucket?

Money, multi tool, paracord, MRE, water purification tablets, small camo tarp, camo clothing, maps, compass.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The best way to stash that 1911 is to drop it off at my house. I'll pamper it for ya.. ;) ... and you won't have to get all wore out digging it up from someplace. :) After all, what are friends for ? :patriot:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Caching for what? How available does it need to be in your mind's most likely scenario? Some chaches are right out in the open and no one would know what they are... Think outside of the box, or the PVC tube.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Pack ratted I tell yea.

Look at the plant world. A container in a container in a contanier. Three is a good number anyway. Cosmoline treated is the way they used to store them.

If I was making a time capsule I think i might go somewhat different. I don't like to dig and can think of other places that hide in plane sight.

I would just forget where I make the first hole anyway and the hole area would look like a balltefield after morters.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It would be nice to create a fighting hole and have it already equipped with firearms and ammunition. :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    The best way to stash that 1911 is to drop it off at my house. I'll pamper it for ya.. ;) ... and you won't have to get all wore out digging it up from someplace. :) After all, what are friends for ? :patriot:

Who said anything about a 1911? :D

I would never bury my 1911 but I have thought about stash'n a few guns with friends here and there. :cool:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Who you kidd'n you don't have any room in your safe. I noticed it was a bit crowded in there so I made room for the 41 in mine.:D

Hey, no room for any more rifles, but I made some of the handguns share accommodations..... especially for the 41... good try, though....:patriot:

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    A copy of your ltch
    is that purple or blue? or a mix of both?
    Be aware, if you just bury it 2-3 feet deep hydrostatic pressure and the pressures created by the freeze-thaw cycle will eventually push it out of the ground. Ever wonder why a grave was at least 6 feet deep?
    At the very least it needs to be below the frost line which is at least 3 feet, 4-5 feet would be better.

I thought the frost line was 18 inches...

ZOMBIES DUH!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Desiccant for one. I've heard of guys oiling up the handgun really well, and bagging it. Pack some rags to wipe it down when you dig it up.

Odd thought: My wife has one of those vacuum storage things for food. You know, you bag the food, then the machine draws a vacuum and heat seals the bag. You could pack the handgun in one with some desiccant, and then the ammo (and more desiccant) in another. Seal in a waterproof container (your bucket) and bury where it is not likely to get water logged.

What would desiccant do any oil on the gun? With guns like a glocks how are the plastic parts effected? Is there a way to preserve the plastic. Or is that
    even necessary?

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    What would desiccant do any oil on the gun? With guns like a glocks how are the plastic parts effected? Is there a way to preserve the plastic. Or is that
    even necessary?
    as long as you get it below the frost line (so the plastic doesn't expand and contract) and it does not rust it should be as good as the day you buried it

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have several sets of iron sights that have a fair amount of value. Having scoped those rifles, I've stored the sights.

I wiped the sights down with a very light coat of Rem Oil, moistened a few cleaning patches with Rem Oil, put both the sights, and the moistened patches into a plastic bag, squeezed the air out, and sealed the bag. That was over 5 years ago. No issues with the sights at all thus far. Just my two cents

Top Bottom