• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    I’m sure this has been discussed. But I’m wanting to get a rifle that is flat shooting a couple hundred yards for wood chucks and the like. Want a light kicking relatively quiet round. So my 7mm rem mag is not an option. Would love to hear what others think is the perfect round for this?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    22-250 if you want to not worry much about bullet drop. It is like the 7mm rem mag in it's bullet trajectory. I would not call it a quite round.

243 if you want something you can switch ammo with and become dual use.

Personally I use the triple deuce (222 rem) for coyotes and ground hogs. 300 would be about my limit for the round. It is a older target rifle round and very accurate. Then again it is about the same as 223 win but I think it is more accurate.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    .22-243 Middlestead. .240 W'by. .220 Redline, or...

Realize that for any small-to-medium capacity 17-to-24 caliber rifle, 2-300 yards is a very short distance.

I'm not suggesting you need to shoot something with a .22 LR drop chart, but you can move the knobs a few minutes one way or the other and do very well.

When that reality is accepted, then choosing a rifle by overall accuracy becomes much easier.

Me? Preference?

I'd set up a mid-weight 6BR, use benchrest bullets (real ones), and once I found a 1" load at 300, I'd never look back.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I’m sure this has been discussed. But I’m wanting to get a rifle that is flat shooting a couple hundred yards for wood chucks and the like. Want a light kicking relatively quiet round. So my 7mm rem mag is not an option. Would love to hear what others think is the perfect round for this?
    Savage still makes the Model 25 in .17 Hornet, if you want a less expensive gun option. But you'll need to get dies and brass, because that cartridge didn't really take off. (Only one gun left in that caliber, I think). You can still get Hornady 20gr. Vmax factory ammo for it, if you look a little bit. It's a 3600 fps. + muzzle velocity in 20 gr. At 200 yards, it has approximately the same energy as 17 HMR at the muzzle.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Any off the above wil work.
    But my favorite is the 17 remington and I use it to save fur also.
    But you really need to be a reloader for the 17.
    But the 223 works well also.
    Now If you want to shoot out to farther distances,the 6mm BR is a AWESOME cartridge.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    seven millimeter, shooting times western all the gun you'll ever need.
    .204 ruger very little recoil and muzzle rise, will be able to see your hits.
    .223 or 22/250

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO hot steppin varmint cartridges all roar.
    Electronic earpro and go get em.

Ive used .22 hornet, .222,.223,.22 250 and .243.
    Id be content w just two though.

A Ruger #1B in .243 and a CZ .22 mag ( the latter for a lighter close range " quiet " rig ).

Top Bottom