• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I need the advice of experienced can users. What is the best pistol and suppressor combination? I am intereted in centrrfire, seems like 45 ACP is a good slow choice, which brand and model pistol? Which can?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have no experience with cans yet, but I have a Walther PPQ First Edition, and I believe it is one of the best quality, as well as most affordable threaded (1/2x28) pistols. You can use 147gr bullets for subsonic in 9mm.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Silencerco has a neat can called the osprey. The db rating is crazy. A different style than the traditional cylinder can, but highly noticeable quietness.

As for the pistol, can't go wrong with a high cap .45. HK, Sig...

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Also to note, I have a .22 sparrow ss and it's also crazy quiet with subsonic rounds. I put it on my p22 and savage mkII. Id like to pick up a GSG 1911 for it too

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    It's not so much the can as it is something that can easily be subsonic. .45 is by nature, so is 147gr 9mm. I've heard most .45 cans are hearing safe, but have a nice punch. My tirant 9mm, when loaded for subsonic, is very comfortable. Find a gun you like that someone makes a threaded barrel for and start your paperwork!

Ya, if you are looking for crazy quite, dedicated .22 is the way to go. You can also shoot down in caliber. A .45 can can be used on .45, .40, 9mm, .22 etc. each step down is a bit less efficient.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I need the advice of experienced can users. What is the best pistol and suppressor combination? I am intereted in centrrfire, seems like 45 ACP is a good slow choice, which brand and model pistol? Which can?

Pistol = 9mm is "best" centerfire choice as far as suppression goes out of your 9mm/40/45 choices. 45 is slow, but not as quiet as a 9mm subsonic round. As far as which brand, Glock, Sig, HK, are all good choices, but there are many others...kind of hard to pick a pistol for you.

Silencer = Silencerco Osprey, and AAC Ti-RANT are a couple of your top sellers, and are both good cans.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I generally shoot Glocks but heard their short lock time make them louder.
    I am looking for optimum quietness along with reliable function with a dedicated pistol / can combo.
    Are certain models of FN or HK intended spefically for can use?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    An interesting note is that Beretta/Taurus 92 style pistols do not need the addition of a Recoil Booster to function like Browning style locked breech pistols (1911/Glock/Sig etc)

Neither do any type of fixed barrel/blowback pistols like many .32 and .380s.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I am looking for optimum quietness along with reliable function with a dedicated pistol / can combo.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte

9mm glock is going to sound awesome with a good silencer. I believe 1911's are one of the quietest host, but you won't be dissatisfied with a Glock. FN, Sig, HK make tactical threaded versions that were made with threaded barrels, and some with raised sights to see over the silencer.

If you already have a Glock, I would drop in a threaded barrel and have some fun!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    IMO a little tuning with different loads/powder and recoil springs etc will net you a better sounding end result can for can than a different model.

I could be wrong, I don't have very much experience with suppressors I just read too much.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    An interesting note is that Beretta/Taurus 92 style pistols do not need the addition of a Recoil Booster to function like Browning style locked breech pistols (1911/Glock/Sig etc)

Neither do any type of fixed barrel/blowback pistols like many .32 and .380s.

not always true my fs 92 will not cycle my yhm cobra m2 with out the booster. corey has also reported that tm isis will not cycle on his m9 with out the booster.

but it does work if the can is light enough

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    not always true my fs 92 will not cycle my yhm cobra m2 with out the booster. corey has also reported that tm isis will not cycle on his m9 with out the booster.

but it does work if the can is light enough

Good point. I had heard there was an issue it the can was heavy but every manufacturer I talked to say their can's always work fine unboosted.

YMMV I guess.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey ARDUD you need to catch up with me and C.F. we have been working on the perfect suppressed pistol for about a year, let C.F. tell you his journey but I've worked on some light loaded 45's and some mods to his pistol to get his hollywood suppressor.

I won't discuss the mods to the pistol anywhere in print, its not illeagal but maybe not wise.

(BTW don't worry I've known AR-dude for a long time)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Hey ARDUD you need to catch up with me and C.F. we have been working on the perfect suppressed pistol for about a year, let C.F. tell you his journey but I've worked on some light loaded 45's and some mods to his pistol to get his hollywood suppressor.

I won't discuss the mods to the pistol anywhere in print, its not illeagal but maybe not wise.

(BTW don't worry I've known AR-dude for a long time)

Usually there is a lock on a semi auto to not allow the slide to cycle. What other mods besides eliminating the noise of the action can you do?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I shoot a non-boosted can on a beretta and it is very quiet and fun to shoot. I also shoot an Osprey 45 on and M&P and I enjoy shooting it but its not nearly as quiet as the 9mm. that said, it is one of the quietest 45 suppressed systems I've heard....

Top Bottom