• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I need some help from the powers of INGO!

My computer is pretty new 3 months or so, and I have the Nortan Anti-virus software for it.

I was talking to someone the other day that recommended I put an anti-spyware or anti-malwar software on here as well. They said that there are a ton out there, some free some not.

Are there any good free ones out there? If not how much will one run me? What would you suggest?

In case it matters, it is a Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Vista.

Thanks INGO!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you have Comcast as your Internet Provider you can download McAfee Security Program for free. I have it and it seems to work great for me.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I suggest you DON'T install any free anti-spyware on your computer unless you really want spyware on there.

Norton 360 is a fine product. Keep it up to date. Keep windows up to date. Don't install software on a whim... this is where most folks seem to go wrong (IMHO).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spybot Search and Destroy is an excellent free anti-spyware. It doesn't do on-access scanning, though, only on-demand. The home of Spybot-S&D!

And yes, you should be careful what free software you install. Just because it says "anti-spyware" doesn't mean it's not really "extra spyware".

Oh, and I disagree with the Norton suggestion. That software is so slow and bloated. I've seen it drag brand new computers to a screeching halt.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I use Window Washer and Spy Sweeper from Webroot. I've used them for years and never had any malware problems on any of my machines.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    If you have Comcast as your Internet Provider you can download McAfee Security Program for free. I have it and it seems to work great for me.

I have Att Uverse for my Internet.

I suggest you DON'T install any free anti-spyware on your computer unless you really want spyware on there.

Norton 360 is a fine product. Keep it up to date. Keep windows up to date. Don't install software on a whim... this is where most folks seem to go wrong (IMHO).

Do you have any experience with the Malwarebytes program?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Spybot Search and Destroy is an excellent free anti-spyware. It doesn't do on-access scanning, though, only on-demand. The home of Spybot-S&D!

And yes, you should be careful what free software you install. Just because it says "anti-spyware" doesn't mean it's not really "extra spyware".

Oh, and I disagree with the Norton suggestion. That software is so slow and bloated. I've seen it drag brand new computers to a screeching halt.

:+1:
    I've used Spybot for years, it works. I also use Avast! for AV protection...saved a badly infected system with it once.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    The new 2009 versions of norton scan for viri and for malware and spyware even with just the norton Av now. USED to norton sucked pretty hardcore, now it is VERY good as much as it pains me to say it.

MalwareBytes is a great program, and so is Spyware Doctor. Spyware Doctor will slow you down some in my experiance though, but it does work well. MalwareBytes in the free version is manual scan, but it would be prefect to have as a backup utility, it is the best one of it's kind right now. I'd get it as a backup in case something gets by Norton, but I would not worry too much.

syntax357

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Syracuse, Indiana
    I uas esst nod32 and spybot. i dont even bother with the builtin windows firewall thing or the security center thing. I use windows xp and have no problems what so ever, plus I know this pc inside and out

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    AVG free 8.5 is a antivirus,antispyware suite that works fine for me (have used different older versions for years that have worked great).Has free updates and doesn't slow and bog down your system like so many do-McAffee and Norton seem to be the worst. If you go to download.com, they will have the links to several free programs-but in my experience AVG free is by far the best. I use it on all the new systems I build for customers as well as my own.YMMV.:twocents:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I use Window Washer and Spy Sweeper from Webroot. I've used them for years and never had any malware problems on any of my machines.

:yesway: Window Washer has worked for me. For the past three or four years, it's cleaned up all the garbage files left behind after you get off the net. When you first run it, you'll be shocked at the hundreds of cookie files and spy files that are on your hard-drive.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    I have Norton Endpoint protection and it didn't work well.

I downloaded PC Tools, Spyware Doctor and it worked well for free, but you need to run manual scans. It picked up a lot that Norton didn't.

I bought Webroot (just Spysweeper alone, no antivirus, $30) on a recommendation and have not found anything with any other spyware programs since.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I use Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware.

These are set to run only when I ask them to, however. I've not had ANY problems.

I'm on U-Verse as well.

I also clean out my internet cashe ALL THE TIME when I'm surfing.

-J-

Top Bottom