• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GranolaFacility

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2022
    Westfield
    I've seen fingerprint safes out there that were dangerously awful, not reliable at all as far as the print recognition accuracy/speed. I bought a Barska fingerprint safe many years ago, and it's actually been very reliable, but it's not really designed for quick access. I assume the technology has only improved in the last decade. Any recommendations? Something to put next to the bed or on the night stand that can be gotten into quickly but that will prevent a curious kid from getting access to a firearm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Gunvault.com non Biometric. There is also another brand that uses mechanical buttons instead of keypads and batteries. I'm sure somebody will come along shortly and recommend those.
    IVe got two and my only complaint is my first gen is MUCH faster on the keystrokes than my 2nd. I can outrun the newer unit if I press the buttons too quick. 1st gen uses AAs, 2nd gen uses 9v. So if you can find a first gen on ebay, go with it. (but dont avoid a 2nd gen. its still very good)

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I have 2 American Security (AmSec) pistol safes with the Simplex locks. Love the locks, tactile, no batteries, reliable, quick. The heavier made amsec made in usa. Both made very well. I drilled them for an eye-bolt if ever needing cable locked somewhere.

Still have an old GunVault with finger mold buttons on top. Got tired of changing batteries. Not near as heavy duty as Amsecs I have.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It has been said that the Simplex equipped are the way to go. This could be coming from folks who don't like red dots because they can fail, I don't know.

But simple is good...generally.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My advice - stay away from biometrics. They will fail when you need them most. Heck, even the fingerprint "button" on an iPhone doesn't work 100%.

The old Gunvaults (i.e. the ones you can't buy anymore) were fine. Still have one that works (20+ yrs old). The newer Gunvaults have cheapened the buttons somehow and I've had them fail way too soon imho (within a few years).

The mechanical Simplex locks are pretty bomb proof, although they have a fairly finite number of combinations that can be run through in a not crazy amount of time by, say, a motivated teenager. So, ok for little kids, the occasional curious, kid, and to prevent quick access by unauthorized persons, but not for high security.

The Fort Knox pistol box is a solid box with such a lock.

- https://www.ftknox.com/product/original-pistol-box-wfront-sight-training-certificate-included/

Their pistol box is a slightly different configuration.

- https://www.ftknox.com/product/personal-pistol-box-wfront-sight-training-certificate-included/

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I have 2 American Security (AmSec) pistol safes with the Simplex locks. Love the locks, tactile, no batteries, reliable, quick. The heavier made amsec made in usa. Both made very well. I drilled them for an eye-bolt if ever needing cable locked somewhere.

Still have an old GunVault with finger mold buttons on top. Got tired of changing batteries. Not near as heavy duty as Amsecs I have.

^^^This^^^

Plus the unlock code can include pressing TWO buttons at the same time which further expands the number of combinations. Excellent product. The drawer model is nice, no hinged lid to lift, or rather fall on an unsuspecting finger. But it all depends where it will be located.

Added link:
    https://www.deansafe.com/collections/american-security-amsec-safes/products/amg-has410

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Could get a box secured by a left hand thread bolt. That would keep millenials out sort of like millenials can't steal a manual transmission car.
    They can't start a lawn mower either.
    I think this to myself, when I hear a millennial state that they are going to start a revolution.

And I think to myself, they can't even start a lawn mower, let alone a revolution.
    I'm not trying to derail the thread, just thinking out loud.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Gunvault has customer service that is worse than the utility companies. I regret my purchases.
    What issues have you had? I've had good luck with mine so far (knock on wood).

I have heard they have awful CS, almost made me change my mind about buying. It probably would have if I wouldn't have got a nice discount on it.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I was testing the unit to make sure it would work with AC power as well as with a batter back up. The battery back up failed with a new battery. I bought [ETA} another, different, battery just in case. Failed again. I called their customer service and was told I didn't know how to operate the unit, then I was told the battery expiration date didn't mean anything and it needs to have a year PRIOR to the expiration date to be considered not a battery defect. Then I needed to send photos. I sent photos. That wasn't good enough I needed to send video. This was all with constant antagonism from Gunvault.

I wanted an exchange for a functional product, not a refund. I will never buy another Gunvault product.

The simplicity of a non-electric unit has a huge appeal. I would think their failure rate is nearly zero. It also offers more than the 256 possible combinations Gunvault has.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom