• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Cheapest? Highest quality? Mix? What ya looking for?

i liked the Ashley Furniture store, but being a single guy, I dont know that I put stuff to the test like a family would. Also Kittles has a huge selection at the store in Castleton.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Try the Midland Antique Market off Michigan St if you're looking for funky, retro, unique stuff. You never know what you'll find there.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Depends on what you're looking for. Kittles is good middle of the road stuff and Gerdt Furniture (in Castleton) is great for stuff that's a bit better.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We just had a horrible experience with Kittles. Furniture took forever to come in, we paid for it all in advance, all the end tables and the main coffee table arrived scratched up. They sent a guy out three weeks later to look at the tables, he agreed they were bad and would replace them. Two weeks later we call them and we are told there are no replacements and would we take a 10% refund to keep them. Uh NO. We paid almost $3K for the living room suite and we want NEW tables.

End result? Here it is almost two months later and they are coming out next week to get the tables and refund our money. I can't believe it. We will NEVER shop at Kittles again. So here we'll sit with new sofa and chairs but no tables. Deadbeats.

shift74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Indianapolis/Wanamaker
    Trying to figure out who has junk and who has quality. Went to Value City and The Room Place in Greenwood. Felt all was lower end and did not enjoy being stalked by sales people. Bought a sectional from Ashley's once. Wont do that again. Its definitely junk. Why I am here! Anyone want to buy a sectional? Will try Kittles and Gerdt next.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Gerdt in Castleton went out of business a couple of years ago. I get to drive past the Kittles outlet/whatever they're turning it into a few times a week taking the offspring to work at Fry's, and I went there some years back, but most of furniture I bought was back in 1992 at a store going out of business in Nobletucky, then we got a dining room set at whatever it's called out on E Washington St. in, like, 1995. I don't buy much normal stuff.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you're looking for solid, well made furniture that will last forever, check out Simply Amish in Castleton.

It's the type of stuff that will outlast you and your children. Just be prepared for some sticker shock. It is not at all cheap. A full bedroom suite will run you like $15k.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think it's a Gerdt's furniture in Southport right off of Southport Road (by the railroad tracks, across from the antique mall). We bought our bed from them. The footboard was to a different bed. We can't figure out how that happened because the box was labeled for the correct footboard. Of course, I didn't notice it for a few days. When I did, I called them and let them know. And also told them I didn't have the box anymore. No problem. They sent a truck to pick up the wrong one and drop off the correct one. They would have installed the correct one too, but I have an issue with people in my house, let alone my bedroom.

We we bought our nightstands from Value City. I was hesitant, but they are great quality. Most of their stuff was cheapish, but not everything.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ashley has differing levels of quality as does The Room Place. I did some buying at both, plus Godby in Avon, again, you have to shop for the quality pieces, but they are there.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Do not buy anything from Ashleys! Pure junk and they are A$$&oles to deal with when you complain about your junk furniture that has fallen apart. We bought two loveseats and a recliner from them about 4 years ago. They were pleather covered (plastic leather). After three years, the pleather had totally pealed away from its backing. The construction is fine, the covering has totally failed. We took pictures of it in to them to complain and they basically said, well since you didn't buy the "extended warranty" you are screwed, now leave and don't bother us. Warranty on furniture..., give me a break. We had a sofa from JC Penny we bought when we first got married and it lasted for 21 years and still looked really good when we sold it to buy this junk from Ashley.

Dirty Steve

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    It is a drive from Indy, but The Gray Mill here in Logansport sells higher end furniture. They will deal, and also have a great year-end sale. We bought a nice dining room table and chairs there (Amish-made), end tables, lamps, and a Lane recliner. Have also shopped at Granny's in Kokomo, they have higher-end stuff, too. We bought a Lazy Boy couch and love seat, lamp and area rug at The Gallery in Logansport, they are good to deal with, too...but we feel that the Lane brand is better. Not sure if they carry Lane. If you do go to Logan, don't miss the upstairs of both stores, there are often deals up there.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Find a local furniture maker or woodworker. Things are just not made to last any longer. Help support a small business owner or individual and commission a piece to be made. Ask for dovetail joints. Ask for hardwoods. Pay once, hurt once and get a piece of functional art that will last beyond your years.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Store on Southport road at the RR tracks closed a year or two ago... We spent to much there during their closing sale.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We went to Gerdt in a sweatshirt and jeans, they never got up from their desk to ask if we needed help as we spent 20 mins walking through. Shocking that they closed. They had three employees watching us (only customers there) walk around. We were buying furniture for our first "real home".

Toyota dealer in Greenwood kept telling my wife she wanted a Rav4 instead of a highlander. "Sweety, these are fun and a lot cheaper". Yeesh.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom