Best personal defense weapon besides a gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Hopefully enough! Primary weapon(G20), backup weapon(G29), spare mags(6), two knives one folder one fixed, surefire light, hands and feet and a prepared mind. Never have felt the need for chemical spray weapons personally. My wife and girls have it though. I would rather be prepared for the worst than caught short.

Call me paranoid if you want. My goal has never been the approval of others but the safety of my family! My wife carries a G19 with 2 spare mags, pepper spray and a spiderco, the younger girls carry spiderco's and pepper spray as well. In 6 months my oldest daughter will add a second G19 and 4 spare mags to the family load out on outings.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hopefully enough! Primary weapon(G20), backup weapon(G29), spare mags(6), two knives one folder one fixed, surefire light, hands and feet and a prepared mind. Never have felt the need for chemical spray weapons personally. My wife and girls have it though. I would rather be prepared for the worst than caught short.

Call me paranoid if you want. My goal has never been the approval of others but the safety of my family! My wife carries a G19 with 2 spare mags, pepper spray and a spiderco, the younger girls carry spiderco's and pepper spray as well. In 6 months my oldest daughter will add a second G19 and 4 spare mags to the family load out on outings.

You carry 6 spare mags but no backup flashlight? :dunno:
    If your light goes down at night then you cant use all your guns.
    I always carry two lights on me in case one doesnt work for some reason.
    I have 4 other flashlights with me when I carry my EDC bag plus a bunch of fresh batteries ... I know I have a think about flashlight but im trying to quit.
    I also carry one foler and one fixed blade at all type.
    Sometimes a third knife too.Glad im not the only one. :D

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    You carry 6 spare mags but no backup flashlight? :dunno:
    If your light goes down at night then you cant use all your guns.
    I always carry two lights on me in case one doesnt work for some reason.
    I have 4 other flashlights with me when I carry my EDC bag plus a bunch of fresh batteries ... I know I have a think about flashlight but im trying to quit.
    I also carry one foler and one fixed blade at all type.
    Sometimes a third knife too.Glad im not the only one. :D

Spare light's and batt's in EDC bag! Along with other goodies! Each of us has a TLR1 as a "flashlight" Mine is in the edc bag the others in the purses.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If not a gun, I always have a knife. If no gun, knife plus sap. A sap will mess a guy up on the double quick, hitting joints, side of head, throat, knees, etc...

Fun thing is that if you use a cheapy Uncky Mikes IWB pistol holster, a sap can go IWB and conceals VERY well. The kydex workers at the 1500 laughed but ultimately refused to make a IWB holster for me. :(

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    A few of you guys add 10lbs to yourself before you ever leave the house:n00b:

IrishFan, you've met me. I'm already bulky, what's a few more pounds?

wow,,,that is alot of gear to lug around for some of you.....oh well, as long as you feel safe that is the main objective.:patriot:

I rarely feel "Safe".... it's more about being prepared.

Most people really have no idea how often I use every single thing I carry with me. There isn't one week where I don't use every (non firearm related) item in my pockets.

I also keep a USB drive in my pocket with process killers, antivirus software, pictures and emergency ID/contact/allergy/insurance information.

I can't put my hands in my pockets in states that don't honor a concealed weapon permit.

Did you accidentally Gorilla Glue that pistol of yours to your hand again? tsk tsk tsk.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Im fit so I can carry a couple of pounds of GOOD weight.
    People who are fat carry useless pounds everywhere they go and they cant decide to leave it at home, I can. :)

Yeah, I don't think people realize how much weight they are REALLY carrying around. I know a guy who gives me crap about carrying a couple pocket knives, a small multitool and a flashlight in my pockets. However, same guy thinks nothing about carrying a man purse around full of electronic goodies to keep himself entertained and distracted from his life.:n00b:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I was thinking about getting a tactical pen or two to take on vacations. What do you guys think? Had any luck?
    Product: S&W Blue Tactical Pen

Wow, that's an awesome pen!!

I think I might have to get one *only black*, I hate it when they tag things with "Tactical".... why not just say "Sturdy" pen...?

Other than the douchey name, this looks like a great solution! I'm always breaking the hard plastic pens I carry and recently had one ruin a pair of pants. This would solve that problem as well as improve upon any improvisational functionality that the pen might serve as well.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I forgot to add the SAK I keep on my belt on my weak side. I also keep a spare flashlight and CPR mask on my keychain. However none of those could really be used as weapons.

I have a man purse that I leave in the car with extras of everything plus a gunshot wound kit and all the electronic goodies I like to have. I haven't resorted to actually carrying it around yet, but its nice to have in the car. I do carry it into my office in the morning and take it with me when I leave.

As someone already mentioned: the only thing I carry that I don't use on a regular basis is my gun and spare mags.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was thinking about getting a tactical pen or two to take on vacations. What do you guys think? Had any luck?
    Product: S&W Blue Tactical Pen

I always keep a Parker Jotter pen on me.It's the best pen you can get IMO.
    It's made of stainless steel (stronger than most "tactical" pens made of aluminum) and its cheaper than all the "tactical" pens.
    You can break glass with it and it still writes fine after.
    Also I found it way less suspicious than a "tactical" pen who says "Smith and Wesson" on it or other brands of weapons.
    It's more TSA friendly. :D

2457-PARKER-JOTTER-STEEL-BP.JPG

sloaba01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I always keep a Parker Jotter pen on me.It's the best pen you can get IMO.
    It's made of stainless steel (stronger than most "tactical" pens made of aluminum) and its cheaper than all the "tactical" pens.
    You can break glass with it and it still writes fine after.
    Also I found it way less suspicious than a "tactical" pen who says "Smith and Wesson" on it or other brands of weapons.
    It's more TSA friendly. :D

2457-PARKER-JOTTER-STEEL-BP.JPG

Yea, great idea that Jotter pen looks good and you can get them locally. I saw stores like Office Depot had them (according to google). The price is also great!
    Thanks!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    surprised there aren't more carrying pepper spray.

Can't take a gun/knife to school functions/games. Spray/light combo makes good for adding distance, I wouldn't mess with a dog with a knife.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    surprised there aren't more carrying pepper spray.

Can't take a gun/knife to school functions/games. Spray/light combo makes good for adding distance, I wouldn't mess with a dog with a knife.

I agree pepper spray can be good in some situations.
    Expandable batons are even better IMO to add distance.
    I dont know about the legality of batons in schools.
    It works great against dogs or knives and has a good detterence effect that the spray doesnt have.
    When you hold a 21" baton made of solid steel people think twice about getting any closer.

Top Bottom