• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This a good one right at the $50 mark...

KUgwV3xl.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You got overcharged at $50. I saw that in the $40 price range before Covid.

Each fall Stephen Beam releases a 101 proof limited edition of his Yellowstone. Every year the fall release is different. So far most of them have been very good. He is also make a craft Gin and has a pretty good Rye whiskey too.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You got overcharged at $50. I saw that in the $40 price range before Covid...

Yeah, I'm used to it.:rolleyes:

On the plus side, had my kid stop at a store in Danville, Illinois yesterday. It's called the Blue Store. Heard it's a great place for bourbon lovers, but it's a three hour drive for me. He was coming home from Kansas City for a visit so I told him to make Danville be on his way and to call when he got there. I mentioned to my son in law that he was stopping there, he also phoned in a wish list.

When the kid got there, it was drive through only. Not sure if that a 'rona related measure or just a late Sunday night thing. But he was the only car in line and when he started running down his list, the guy said, pull around, park, and come on inside.

He first asked for Blanton's. Guy said sorry, next pick... Well, 4 bottles of scotch and 10 bourbon/whiskeys later, the guy produced a bottle of Blanton's and sold it to him for the MSRP of $60.:yesway:

I love Blanton's, but I don't love it for double the retail price. I wanted a bottle just to have onhand. My daughter is having her first kid in a couple weeks and I'd like to eventually get one that was bottled on his birthday. Having a random dated bottle gives me one to trade for the date I want.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You got overcharged at $50. I saw that in the $40 price range before Covid.

Each fall Stephen Beam releases a 101 proof limited edition of his Yellowstone. Every year the fall release is different. So far most of them have been very good. He is also make a craft Gin and has a pretty good Rye whiskey too.

Why was he overcharged? It is a fallacy that if one does not get the lowest price available in the world that they were overcharged. A $10 difference can be the price of overhead in different markets, all stores do NOT pay the same price, it is based on volume and sometimes volume of specific items. A private club I belong to uses a huge volume of vodka and gets even Grey Goose at a great price and prices a rocks drink at $7.50 (rocks are a bigger pour $6 for a cocktail) but Woodford Reserve is $11 because they just do not buy enough...

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    Has anyone heard anything about any possible shortages coming up because of Covid-19? And I don't mean the immediate supply. I'm asking about disruptions in any part of the whole bourbon process that may cause future issues. I personally haven't heard or read anything like that but was just curious if anyone else has heard anything.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Has anyone heard anything about any possible shortages coming up because of Covid-19? And I don't mean the immediate supply. I'm asking about disruptions in any part of the whole bourbon process that may cause future issues. I personally haven't heard or read anything like that but was just curious if anyone else has heard anything.

Id imagine not much will be effected. The distilleries didn't shut down. Some shut down to make hand sanitizer, but I believe the only major one that did was Buffalo Trace, Sazerac owns more than one distillery and has more than 1 still running. Id imagine the supply of products like there vodka will be effected, not bourbon.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I can't claim any insider knowledge, but most distilleries are relatively small factories from the personnel standpoint. So I would think any shutdowns would be short. But I have no idea what supplies (if any) might experience shortages.

I think it's rational to consider temporary shortages of about anything during this pandemic, but probably not long term shortages of much.

Keep your bourbon stocked, just in case :yesway:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    xPSzNjf.jpg

Tried this one the other day on the recommendation of the liquor rep I talked to at Meijer. It’s really good. Very smooth, a little spicy but great favor. And it’s an Indiana spirit!

Attachments

• xPSzNjf.jpg
      xPSzNjf.jpg
      335.7 KB · Views: 4

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Haven’t tried the double oaked yet, but even the regular Carl T is pretty good. I’m not sure that one fits in the under $50 tho... thought it was closer to $70 when I saw at the winery a couple months ago.

ETA: wouldn’t be the first time I found something cheaper at retail than at the distillers. Michters charges $55 on whiskey row, and I can get it fo $35 at Total Wine and more.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A girlfriend got me a bottle of the Starlight Blackberry Whiskey and it was surprisingly good. I think being 84 proof helped it to not be too sweet. Good to hear that their bourbon is good too. I've been wanting to give it a try.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Haven’t tried the double oaked yet, but even the regular Carl T is pretty good. I’m not sure that one fits in the under $50 tho... thought it was closer to $70 when I saw at the winery a couple months ago.

ETA: wouldn’t be the first time I found something cheaper at retail than at the distillers. Michters charges $55 on whiskey row, and I can get it fo $35 at Total Wine and more.

Not a Woodford can in general, but I've been to New Riff, Wild Turkey, Woodford, Buffalo Trace, and Makers Mark. With tbe exception of Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream (and allocated bottles in KY) its always more expensive at the distillery

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I have used Caskers.com waiting on my second shipment to arrive. It’s ok but really a drive down to Kentucky to a Kroger Wine and Spirits store has been better. Stopped in today on my way back from Alabama and picked up a bottle of Bookers and Michters Small Batch. The Michters was $41 the Bookers does not fall into this under $50 category.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Anyone here ordering online? What places have the best pricing / selection?

A couple of the local stores have curb service.

I've tried Caskers.com. It's over priced. Has a few items that are hard to find in the midwest, but that is the only reason to use the service. If you can find it within a 60 mile driving radius its probably cheaper to drive to buy it.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    https://www.acespirits.com/

I've ordered from here a few times and been happy with them. They usually have a couple good sale prices on various items to make it worth buying online. And they have a nice little, well stocked store if you are ever up in the Minneapolis area. I've stopped in a few times when working up there.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I ordered online once and found the prices pretty high, once shipping was added in.

The liquor stores in Indianapolis are currently curbside. You order online and they bring it out to your car. Crown on 106th and Michigan has been particularly efficient and will just put it right in the trunk for you.

I miss browsing the whiskey aisle at Costco, because that was my opportunity to try new whiskeys at a good value.

I did get some Old Hamer from the liquor store this week. IMO, that's one of the best bang-for-the-buck whiskey at $19 a bottle. .

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom