• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I've been looking around for the best backcounty/backpack camping sites around Indiana. It seems like the only real options are around Knobstone trail and the National Forest area. I'm from the northside of Indy, so that's a decent drive. Any recommendations for something closer? I'm mainly interested in a fairly uncrowded area where I can hike a few days and carry a tent. Thanks in advance for the help!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Turkey Run, Shades, Lieber have some great trails, but as for what you're asking, I think Knobstone and HNF fit the bill.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If your looking for pack in/pack out back country camping and hiking, your options are unfortunately pretty slim in this state. The KT is def worth the drive it is a great trip. Charles Deam Wilderness located in HNF is also a great option I think. Morgan Monroe also has two 10 mile loops. I think rules state no back country camping, but it has been done.

I do agree with Kludge. Indiana has some very great state parks that all have great hiking and some have pretty technical trails as well. You will just have to base camp. Brown County State Park is one of my favorites and its not to far of a drive.

Hope this helps

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I've done Turkey Run and Shades. Their creek and canyon trails are awesome pretty much year round. I guess I'll just have to deal with the drive down to Knobstone this spring/early summer. Thanks to both of you guys for the tips.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Check out the Tecumseh and Low Gap trails In Morgan-Monroe and Yellowwood State Forests and beyond. They will be the closest to Indy. Someday (distant future) they may connect up the Tecumseh and Knobstone trails.

Next would be the many trails in the Deam Wilderness just south of Lake Monroe. My favorite is the peninsula trail with a campsite on the beach.

Farther away, but you could also check into the Adventure Hiking Trail at Harrison-Crawford State Forest, or the two lakes trail in the southern portion of the Hoosier NF.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks, Philo. I'll definitely have to check those out. I just saw Deam Wilderness in another thread. That one sounds just about right. Thanks for the tips!

Top Bottom