• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Saw this article, but I have some doubts about the claims?
    Tango Down’s Advanced Reliability Combat magazine ‘Sand Seal’ tackles M4 dust problem

Magazine highlights SHOT show gear
    By Matthew Cox - Staff writer
    Posted : Saturday Feb 7, 2009 8:30:58 EST

There may now be a way to keep dust from entering the M4 through the magazine well.

020709at_magazine_800.JPG

gs_hotshow092.jpg

Tango Down’s Advanced Reliability Combat magazine has a special lip designed to seal up the well when locked into place; a squishy gasket called a “sand seal” shuts out even the finest dust found in Afghanistan, said Tango Down president Jeff Cahill.

The new magazine is the result of four years of work with U.S. Special Operations Command to develop a magazine for the Special Operations Combat Assault Rifle. SCAR was designed to use the same size magazines as the M4.

The magazine was one of thousands of tactical and hunting products on display at the 2009 SHOT Show in Orlando, Fla., from Jan. 15-18. The show was an opportunity for companies to launch new products such as guns, knives, optics, body armor and individual tactical gear.

Here is a look at the new combat magazine and two other items from the show aimed at improving critical soldier gear:

MAGAZINE FOR CARBINES
    The sand seal is not the only new thing about Tango Down’s polymer magazine.

“It’s a modular design that has never been done before,” Cahill said; It’s made up of two parts. The portion that goes into the magazine well is straight, while the exposed portion is curved. The parts are bonded together so they won’t come apart, Cahill said.

The design eliminates the friction that occurs when other continuously curved polymer magazines are inserted into the straight well; this lets the magazine drop smoothly from the weapon when you push the magazine release button; the ARC magazine also has no removable floor plate for increased strength, Cahill said, explaining that you can’t take it apart.

For cleaning, Tango Down has included slots in the follower to let dirt escape. You soak it in hot, soapy water, rinse it and let it drain.

It became available at TangoDown in late January for $29.95 each. There will also be a civilian version, without the gasket, for plinking on the range. It’s $24.95. The magazines will come in desert tan, dark earth brown, foliage green and clear.

Pmags seem to run about $20 lately, those TangoDown units at $25 are probably the next best thing, but I think many people will buy 5 Pmags for the price of 4 "ARC".

I won't suggest that the ARC mags are not better. Just that the sand seal part seems sort of like a gimmick. To actually be effective, wouldn't it also need a real seal? Something like a soft silicone bead that would seat up against the bottom of the mag well? And it does nothing to keep sand out of the the big gaping hole called the ejection port!

If I can get some, I'll be happy to try them, heck I'd probably be happy with them if they work (and I presume they do). But seriously at some point innovation for the sake of change is not really very effective. Sort of like a digital toaster for $200. Sure, its timer is more accurate than the old style, but the toast still pops out the top and tastes the same.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I won't suggest that the ARC mags are not better. Just that the sand seal part seems sort of like a gimmick.

The ARC mag was designed to fill a specific requirement for a specific military group, which it evidently does. If you do not have that specific need (i.e. you're not operating in harsh sandy environments for long periods of time), the ARC mag will likely be a waste of money, since there are less expensive mags that would be equally reliable for your uses. Jeff Cahill @ TangoDown has stated that the ARC mags with the dust seal (there is in fact a rubberized gasket on top of the flange, which compresses against the bottom of the magwell) will NOT be available on the commercial market, period.

IMO, the "civilian" ARC mag without the seal offers no advantage over PMAGs, Lancers or upgraded USGI mags. I'm also not a fan of the one-piece design; I would like the ability to replace springs or followers as needed, rather than having to sh*tcan the whole mag if a $2.00 internal part takes a dump.

MHO.

From Jeff Cahill, courtesy of another forum:
    Here's some facts on our upcoming ARC magazine to be released commercially. The lip and sand seal you see in some pix will not be available. The magazine sides for the civilian product are flush, so fitting in any existing pouch is not a problem. The sand seal is reserved for USSOCOM, with the appropriate mag pouches to be available from Eagle Industries and some other select sources. Also, the surface finish of the magazines were reflective as the mold was not finish texured at that time.

The modular design allows several benefits not found in any other polymer magazine. First, is the proper straight ammo feed column through a straight feedwell. This allows us to properly dimension the magazine upper without design restriction. That allows the empty magazine to always drop free, even if the mag well is out of spec.

The next big benefit is manufacturing process control.
    Injection molding two small parts is far better than trying to mold one long, difficult one. The structural integrity of feed lips are guaranteed as the shot time is well contained in the resin thermal bracket. That can't happen in a long one piece shot due to material 'freeze off', creating feed lips that just 'snap off' etc. Drafting the mold cores are optimal as well. We are proud of the strength and quality of the magazine components.

The magazine lower half is an ultra strong five sided box, with no floorplate to fail. The magazine does not disassemble, as there is no need. The premium quality spring will outlive the housing it resides in. Cleaning is a snap, even after extended use with a suppressor.

Modularity also enables us to make various ammunition capacities that are cost effective.

We just retool the lower half instead of the entire magazine. We can get special variants accomplished for our Mil customers in a quicker time frame. We can even use a translucent material (that would be unsuitable for feedlip duty) for the entire lower half of the magazine instead of having to resort to slots or windows. That combination of materials is beyond the scope of any existing polymer mag.

As far as the joint between the two halves, it is stronger than the base material. That has been proven very scientifically by an independant test lab. The resins and adhesives we are using are state of the art. We didn't drive it over with a truck as some form of data, instead we spent a lot of money with the same lab that tests all of the Boeing and GD aircraft structural members that are bonded. The shear strength at the bond is staggering. Every step of the development and manufacturing process on this product has been documented for Contract use down the road.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just eyeballing the pic, I wonder if the seal would cause an issue seating in some ARs due to differences in magwell depths. Sort of like the old Orlites.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just eyeballing the pic, I wonder if the seal would cause an issue seating in some ARs due to differences in magwell depths. Sort of like the old Orlites.

It could. Being a military item, these are almost certainly designed to fit Colt/FN magwells; others not made to that spec might be problematic. Another reason the commercial version of the mag lacks the ridge and seal.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'd buy whichever was most available when I do my build. Seems impossible to get any pmags...

Backorder them from Brownells; they are receiving large quantities on a regular basis, and won't charge your card until the order ships.

Alternatively, they have enhanced USGI type and Lancer L5 mags in-stock.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Backorder them from Brownells; they are receiving large quantities on a regular basis, and won't charge your card until the order ships.

Alternatively, they have enhanced USGI type and Lancer L5 mags in-stock.

cool, thanks for the info.

I'm so ready to build my INGO AR :rockwoot:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I'd buy whichever was most available when I do my build. Seems impossible to get any pmags...

Try the EE over at AR15.com, there are new ones listed daily, some price gougers... so beware. Also check Mooneys, they have them in stock a couple times a week but they are $20 each...

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Good thing I live in Indiana, therefore I dont have a need for a "sand seal" and the usual usgi mags will serve me well for my purpose. Thanks for the post. Its nice to see the new gear coming out.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Not exactly sure what your application and use of this rifle will be however one thing that you also might want to consider is rounds tilting in the mags. The USGI mags, along with most mags have only one spring inside them. This allows for the follower to tilt and can make the rounds tip and can cause misfeads. H&K and a few other manufactures have made mags that have two springs inside them which makes the follower go down evenly. They are kind of pricey. H&K has them for about $60 and I did find another brand at Bradis that were very similar. Cheaperthandirt.com has extended folllowers that help keeping the rounds straight, but I have never used these so I don't know if they take away mag capacity and I don't know how well they work.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    We were issued PMAGs to evaluate and fell in love. No feed or reliability issues of any kind. They are great.

Top Bottom