• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The M&P line of pistols was actually designed around the .40 S&W cartridge, and as such, it just plain feels better, and to me, shoots better with the cartridge. I own other pistols in other calibers, but if I'm shooting .40 S&W the M&P will always be my go to handgun.

Daily carry M&P40 m2.0 Compact
    MandP_Captain.jpg

M&P40 m2.0 full-size at 25 yards off-hand.
    20170225_154922.jpg

Last edited:

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Some fine choices gentlemen!!! I’m rediscovering my love for the old second and third generation Smiths in 45acp…. I always liked the forty….. so I thought this would be a interesting thread topic. I’ve been watching for a certain Smith in .40 and have been pondering putting another Smith that’s a M&P together in a unoffered guise as it’s one they don’t offer but one I’d like to have.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like the Sig P229 in .40SW and also like that it's designed so I can JUST swap the barrel with a Sig OEM .357 Sig barrel and have an even harder hitting flatter shooting pistol.
    Though let me add that there are other good .40SW pistols too depending on personal preference.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have no idea what is "best".

I have a lot of experience with a Para Ordinance 16.40 that had a significant amount of rounds poured through it by a gun gamer before I got it. I played the action pistol games with it also. It has been very good. The single action with similar controls as a 1911 makes it very familiar in the hand as soon as it clears the holster.

I have also put at least a couple thousand rounds down a Beretta 96. It is double action/single action with a decocker. It is easy to shoot and easy to shoot well. I do not like the double action first shot or the safety location when shooting action pistol games with it. I do have confidence if I need to defend life with a Model 96.

I shot a compact Springfield that I did not care for. Nothing really wrong with it, but I generally do not care for any composite pistols.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    i have 3 sig p229s in .40. the only gun i've every shot .40 through that felt as comfortable was the p226 i (stupidly) sold years ago.

i just picked up a g23 that i look forward to taking to the range.

i have a hipoint .40 that feels like i'm shooting a 9mm. if it wasn't for the crappy trigger it would be one of my favorites to shoot.

i bought a sw4006 a couple of years ago and have never taken it to the range.

the m&p shield 2.0 pc is a "fiesty" .40. i think the 4.25" barrel makes it easier to shoot though.

one if my edc is a tuarus g2c .40 with the keep tinkering trigger. if i don't keep a very firm and correct grip it will become uncomfortable really quick.

i have a lot if love for the fortay!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    i have 3 sig p229s in .40. the only gun i've every shot .40 through that felt as comfortable was the p226 i (stupidly) sold years ago.

i just picked up a g23 that i look forward to taking to the range.

i have a hipoint .40 that feels like i'm shooting a 9mm. if it wasn't for the crappy trigger it would be one of my favorites to shoot.

i bought a sw4006 a couple of years ago and have never taken it to the range.

the m&p shield 2.0 pc is a "fiesty" .40. i think the 4.25" barrel makes it easier to shoot though.

one if my edc is a tuarus g2c .40 with the keep tinkering trigger. if i don't keep a very firm and correct grip it will become uncomfortable really quick.

i have a lot if love for the fortay!
    The Glock 23 is decent, I had one for several years.
    It can also shoot .357 Sig with a Glock 32 barrel.
    I still have my Glock 32, and it takes the Glock 23 barrel too.

ALSO, Glock has an OEM 22 round .40SW magazines that will also work with the .357 Sig rounds.
    So it can be used with the Glock 22, 23, 27, 31, 32 and 33.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The M&P 40 2.0 is my favorite polymer frame .40 pistol. I've got the compact 4", standard full size 4.25" and the full size 5" model.

As far as metal frame, I had a P229 once that was a pretty sweet shooter. But I'm more of a striker-fired pistol fan, so it's been a while since I've shot a metal frame .40. That may change, as I am trying to avoid buying a new Sig P320 40 and making it an AXG model. Love the aluminum grip module in my 9mm P320, so I'm betting I'll like the .40 just as well, if I decide to go ahead and buy it. And not many people will own an AXG .40 model, so it will have a uniqueness factor to it.

I'm not doing a very good job of talking myself out of buying it.

I don't need another 40.
    I don't need another 40.
    I don't need another 40.

:):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m going to be the oddball here but I’ve been shooting and carrying a Glock 27 for better than 10 years now as my main EDC and the recoil doesn’t bother me a bit but I’m on the large size so that may be a factor
    I've had 3 G27s and really liked them. One of my favorites from back when I kept about a dozen Glocks around. I sold the last one solely because I bought it cheap and was made a decent offer for it. I always figured that when the bottom fell out of the .40 market, I'd replace it. Then I got away from Glocks altogether.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The M&P 40 2.0 is my favorite polymer frame .40 pistol. I've got the compact 4", standard full size 4.25" and the full size 5" model.

As far as metal frame, I had a P229 once that was a pretty sweet shooter. But I'm more of a striker-fired pistol fan, so it's been a while since I've shot a metal frame .40. That may change, as I am trying to avoid buying a new Sig P320 40 and making it an AXG model. Love the aluminum grip module in my 9mm P320, so I'm betting I'll like the .40 just as well, if I decide to go ahead and buy it. And not many people will own an AXG .40 model, so it will have a uniqueness factor to it.

I don't need another 40.
    I don't need another 40.
    I don't need another 40.

I have a couple M&P 40's too and I like the way they fit my hand.
    Both are police trade-ins in good shape I got cheap some years back.
    Though I now have the barrels swapped to .357 Sig.
    Sweet shooters.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    My first pistol was a Beretta 96, but at the age of 18, it was a bit chunky for me w/ factory plastic grips. It was a very smooth shooting pistol though (what 92/96 isn’t, though?)!

I don’t see much use in a .40 for me right now, so I no longer own one. That being said, if the same model that @Noble Sniper is looking for (CHP 4006TSW, I believe) popped up at a good price and I had the play funds, I’d absolutely jump on it as I’ve always wanted one.

Barring that, a 96 w/ slim G10 grips, a P226/P229, PX4, or USP would be my choices. Or a G22/23/35, but those are “serious” pistols. I’d only buy a .40 to play with, so I’d make it a “fun” gun.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't have one yet. I have 1000 40 Short & Weak nickel plated brass that needs a gun to shoot it in. I've been putting off buying one, but a police trade in S&W M&P 2.0 40, or a Sig P226 40 I would jump on if it's around $300-400.
    The only ones I've seen lately are the M&P 1.0, and the Sig P226's are running $500+ for trade in. I'm looking forward to the Red Wave and a drop in gun and ammunition prices.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I don't need another 40.
    I don't need another 40.
    I don't need another 40.

You need another 40.

YOU need another 40.

YOU NEED another 40

YOU NEED another 40 40s...

Signed -
    Enabler

Top Bottom