• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bernhard Goetz: 30 Years Ago Today

While it might not mean much to us in Indiana, nationally it meant a lot as it was just after Bernhard Goetz that Florida got the ball rolling and the CCW reform movement took off.

30 years ago today was the "Subway Vigilante", Bernhard Goetz, who was acquitted of acting in self-defense, but convicted for carrying a pistol without a license under the "Big Tim" Sullivan Act.

30 Years Ago Today | Shall Not Be Questioned

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I remember that controversy well. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    Thanks for posting this and remembering. The situation with Mr. Goetz and the shooting focused a nations attention on the fact that the police are mainly responders, not preventers of crime, and that in what was an increasingly violent NYC, people endorsed the right to defend oneself.
    That endorsement of the fundamental right to self defense certainly did help kick off the widespread movement to allow law-abiding citizens the right to carry firearms.
    I believe everyone who carries today owes a debt of gratitude to Bernhard Goetz for helping to pave the way.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This was certainly an important case, and one which pried the lid off the Big Lie of NYC's "tough stance on guns." It was a high-crime city, people were sick of it, and all their gun laws didn't change the facts.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Friends used to sing "The Ballad of Bernie Goetz" to the tune of "Eight more miles to Louisville".

"He pulled his gun, let lead fly and settled up the debts.
    Now the hoodlum punks leave me alone 'cause I'm armed like Bernie Goetz."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well duh. Selling drugs is the only way to make enough money to pay off one of his [STRIKE]victims[/STRIKE] attackers who won a 43 million dollar lawsuit against him.:dunno:

FIFY

And actually, the fact that he is an activist for the repeal of marijuana laws, this is more of a statement that even people who smoke weed have and deserve the right of self defense, just as do people who drink. They're still held accountable for their actions under the influence, and if not a "good shoot", suffer the same fate any of the rest of us would, but to deny someone a purchase, as the law does, because they use it is inappropriate, at a minimum, and criminal is a better word.

No, I'm not saying they should be able to violate the law. I'm saying that law is violating them, and needs to go away.

And this from a guy who doesn't even drink alcohol, let alone use drugs, other than as prescribed. (Lipitor is my drug of choice, if anyone's interested)

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:
    Top Bottom