• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Couple weeks ago had to say goodbye to our almost 10 year old Labrador Riley. She got lymphoma and we tried to go the treatment route but by the time that it was diagnosed and we began the treatment it was too late. Don't think I can do the labrador route again as much as I would love to have another Labrador. This is the second one that we've lost to cancer and I don't think I could do it a third time.

Thinking of going a different direction and I have been looking at Belgian Malinois or a GSD. And before anybody says do you know what you're getting into with the Belgian yes I do. I did my due diligence when it comes to research. I have the time and the drive to train, I have the real estate for a dog to run and work as well as a 50 acre Lake for it to swim in. Finding the right breeder for either a Belgian or a GSD seems to be the conundrum.

So I guess my question is does anyone know of any good reputable breeders of Belgian Malinois or GSDs in Indiana?

Last edited:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Couple weeks ago had to say goodbye to our almost 10 year old Labrador Riley.
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It's very rough to be forced into that position.
    Our mutt Jackson will be 16 at Christmas and we're surprised/blessed/happy he's hung on this long.
    The last couple of years we've been through some sketchy times with him. But we're realistic about the future, as sad as it might be.
    My wife Sara and I have been "in discussions" about a new family member. German Shepards are at the top of our list, given our first dog Murphy was one. I'll be watching your thread here.

One thing I'll shout from the house tops about GSD and other large breeds is to watch for BLOAT.
    That's what took our healthy dog Murphy (11). We lost him, late in the night, back in the early days of the internet.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    She looks like a sweetheart. :@ya:
    She is.
    So much so she has to be touching you at all times or as much as possible. I now understand the term "velcro dog".

She just walked by and made sure to brush against me as she passed .

I am just happy she is starting to learn her size and strength. Finally.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Couple weeks ago had to say goodbye to our almost 10 year old Labrador Riley. She got lymphoma and we tried to go the treatment route but by the time that it was diagnosed and we began the treatment it was too late. Don't think I can do the labrador route again as much as I would love to have another Labrador. This is the second one that we've lost to cancer and I don't think I could do it a third time.

Thinking of going a different direction and I have been looking at Belgian Malinois or a GSD. And before anybody says do you know what you're getting into with the Belgian yes I do. I did my due diligence when it comes to research. I have the time and the drive to train, I have the real estate for a dog to run and work as well as a 50 acre Lake for it to swim in. Finding the right breeder for either a Belgian or a GSD seems to be the conundrum.

So I guess my question is does anyone know of any good reputable breeders of Belgian Malinois or GSDs in Indiana?

Tell them Argos sent you

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I was considering getting a Belgian malinois for the last couple years after we lost our GSD to epilepsy. We both felt the same about getting another shepherd, not wanting to risk the same thing happening again, but kinda by random happenstance, we found a guy wayyyy out in the sticks of Kentucky that had GSD pups.

Long story short, we ended up with another GSD. The guy wasn’t a full on breeder, but had several litters over the last few years and had several adult dogs. I could probably get in touch with him and see if he has any puppies available.

Our boy Huston is by far the most GSD of all the GSDs we’ve had. He has all of the famous shepherd traits, but amplified X1000. He has chosen me as his favorite human, and I can’t even walk across the room without him brushing against my left leg every step of the way. He’s always “on”, always watching everything and everyone, and at 10 months old, has already appointed himself as the leader of our other two dogs.

This is what he does if he happens to get more than 3 feet away from me , always watching.
    7E85BFB7-6CC2-4A69-826D-1DD6B17294DA.jpeg
    But his usual spot is right next to me
    A80237F2-3520-4AE6-8614-65C82203B729.jpeg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was considering getting a Belgian malinois for the last couple years after we lost our GSD to epilepsy. We both felt the same about getting another shepherd, not wanting to risk the same thing happening again, but kinda by random happenstance, we found a guy wayyyy out in the sticks of Kentucky that had GSD pups.

Long story short, we ended up with another GSD. The guy wasn’t a full on breeder, but had several litters over the last few years and had several adult dogs. I could probably get in touch with him and see if he has any puppies available.

Our boy Huston is by far the most GSD of all the GSDs we’ve had. He has all of the famous shepherd traits, but amplified X1000. He has chosen me as his favorite human, and I can’t even walk across the room without him brushing against my left leg every step of the way. He’s always “on”, always watching everything and everyone, and at 10 months old, has already appointed himself as the leader of our other two dogs.

This is what he does if he happens to get more than 3 feet away from me , always watching.
    View attachment 302562
    But his usual spot is right next to me
    View attachment 302563
    Not a GSD, but our dog Ruthie is also on the alert constantly. She's just less obvious about it... ;)

1696114946186.png

She also doesn't bark when a stranger comes in the house. It really lulls the intruders into a false (okay, it's not false) sense of security.

When she met our granddaughter for the first time, it turned ugly beautiful though.

1696115150204.png

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    We have had 2 Shepards in our family both were given to us as young adults. The 2nd one came from champion breeding and was supposed to have a proven lineage of good hips. Both dogs were amazing but had short lives due to the hip dyslexia. I see some of you have lost your Shepards to other ailments but is the hip problem something that is still a plague with them?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We have had 2 Shepards in our family both were given to us as young adults. The 2nd one came from champion breeding and was supposed to have a proven lineage of good hips. Both dogs were amazing but had short lives due to the hip dyslexia. I see some of you have lost your Shepards to other ailments but is the hip problem something that is still a plague with them?
    Yes. Most large dogs are prone to hip issues.

I believe the show line of GSD are more prone than the working line

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    That was a big concern for me when we got the one we have now. Fortunately, we have a very good vet, that I have trusted for years, and it was a big question for him the first time we took the new pup to him. Our vet specializes in large breed dogs, he even provides free services to all of the police k9s in the area, and he spent quite a while feeling around the pups legs and hips. He’s done the same with our other shepherds. He said everything looked fine, so it was a big relief for us.

It’s still a concern for me, but I felt a lot better after hearing encouraging words from the vet.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    He goes by Gera Bear on FB. He has sable and I believe one black/tan pup left. Not cheap but professional working line K9s are his only goal. He is a blackbelt here in Kokomo at our friend's dojo.

You can tell him that David Moon recommended his kennel. He is good people and won't sell a known health problem or defect. He has beautiful GSDs. We were going to get our K9 from him but went with another pup because of timing on my wife's part with her work schedule.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930_221022_Facebook.jpg
      Screenshot_20230930_221022_Facebook.jpg
      306.3 KB · Views: 5

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau

First, condolences on losing your friend, it's never easy.
    We've adopted an 8 year old GSD/Belgian Malinois mix. I've had GSDs in the past and this dog caught my eye. The B. Malinois side of him has had a learning curve to say the least, but I wouldn't change a thing about him if I could. Be patient, they can be hard headed and breed driven is an understatement, nothing gets past this dog's watch. Being an 8+ years old, he's not the elite athlete a younger one will be, and thank God, 'cause I couldn't keep up with him.
    Good luck finding your new best friend, he's somewhere waiting on you to show up.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    She is.
    So much so she has to be touching you at all times or as much as possible. I now understand the term "velcro dog".
    Wow, what you've described was exactly how my dog Murphy behaved.
    My wife didn't have much experience with dogs growing up. So it bugged her a little, but I didn't mind being leaned on.
    Even if Murphy was just laying on the floor, he needed to resting against your foot. I really miss that dog.

For anyone that wants a dog that acts aloof like a cat, a German Shepard is not for you.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Longshot but since Belgians were mentioned, if anyone knows of any Belgian Sheepdog (groenendael) breeders, please chime in for me.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Thank you everyone who has responded and thank you for your kind words about losing Riley. It's been hard and lonely.

We just found out a couple days ago that a woman that we knew who our kids went to high school together years ago started raising German Shepherds and and she has an upcoming litter that will be born at the end of October. So it looks like by the end of the year that we are going to have a GSD puppy

Last edited:
    Top Bottom