• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I have a friend of my dads that has mentioned giving me a bunch of reloading supplies for 12ga, 20ga, I think 9mm and I don't even know what else honestly...Since I may be owning reloading equipment, I figured I would see if I could do anything with it.

I currently shoot clay pigeons down in Spencer at a family friends house, and I love it. I shoot about 150-200 rounds almost every weekend, and would like to shoot more if I can find the time...I have about 300-400 hulls of Remington Gun Club that I inspected for reloading just because I was bored, but I'm not sold on reloading shotgun yet.

Are you saving that much that it offsets the time/money/supplies/etc? I usually get the shells for 6-7$ for 25 and I'm unsure if I would be saving enough to go through the trouble.

If I do end up doing it, I was curious what recipes INGO uses for their reloading. What types of supplies (powder/wads/primers) have you had good/bad luck with? Obviously I can find some online, but I would like to have some from people I trust.

Any suggestions on extra equipment? I don't know what all the guy has so I'm not sure this can be answered, but maybe if there is one piece you absolutely have to have, let me know.

Also, I heard rumor of certain powders also being used for handgun reloads, which I would like to get into eventually. If so, which would be best for both shotgun and handgun? Trying to kill as many birds with one stone as I can..

Thanks in advance!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you look around and get rebates on flats (cartons of ten) you can generally stay between $5 and $6 per box for decent shells. Right now, powder is high IF you can find it. Primers are back easy to find but pricey. Wads are generally available. Good hardened shot is close to $2 per pound. I have a nice progressive presses with all the stuff, but I have not loaded a 12 gauge shell in a couple years. It is just not worth my time to save less than a dollar. 28 gauge and .410 is another story. With 28 gauge STS shells at $12/box, and not needing much shot, these gauges you can still save $8-$9 a box.

Your gun club hulls are a good start. I personally like Win 209 primers, and many loading manuals have data for this combination. THe Remington Figure "8" wads (1-1/8 oz) and the Remington TGT-12 (1oz) wads work great. I use the aftermarket version of these wads from Claybuster company. Enough Hodgdon Clays or IMR 700x powder to make 1150 fps is my favorite, and is straight out of the manual for powder charge weight.

Clays and 700 can both be used in low pressure handgun loads, like .38 and .45, but is not the best due to very narrow charge weights. I have not used many of the newer powders. Since the fire in the Austrailian powder plant, I do not think any Hodgdon Clays or International Clays is being imported. I may be in a bind for 12 gauge powder if I start reloading them again. There is always Red Dot from Alliant if you can find it. Good luck.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'll only add that American Select is another very good dual purpose powder, but all Alliant powders seem hard to find right now.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    About the only way it's economical to reload 12ga is if you buy components in bulk. I use Gun Club hulls - they can be found almost anywhere and they hold up for several reloads. I shoot trap and load 7/8 oz shot, so that is another way you can save by reloading (reduced shot weight). This isn't all that helpful for sporting clays - I buy 1 1/8 oz loads when they're on sale ($5-$6 a box) for SC and then save the hulls to reload for trap. I buy wads (Claybuster) at least 5,000 at a time, primers (Fiocchi) at least 5,000 at a time, and shop around for the best price on shot. I'm using Promo powder currently, as it is a bit cheaper (but like all powders tough to find) than Red Dot and loads with the same weights (different bushing). Both Promo and Red Dot can be used for .45ACP, 9mm, and .38Spcl for plinking loads - I've loaded thousands of each this way.

As far as loads, go to the reloading tables on the web for the powder you end up using - all of the manufacturers have acceptable 'recipes' including shells, wads, shot weight, powder weight, etc. Which brings up a 'must have' : make sure you have a good scale to measure powder weights.

skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    My friend and I are avid skeet shooters and have been reloading for a long time...we figured out how much it costs to reload a box of 12ga. using prices of todays market...we came up with an average of $6.35 abox on a good day...around here at some retail sport shops they will sell Estate and even Winchester plane jane loads for $5.65 to $5.85...not a real big savings,but for factory rounds to bust clay pigeons is a savings of time and a little bit of money let alone searching for the best prices on components..just a thought...good luck in whatever you decide to do...

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Just bought Eagle brand shot for $35/ 25# a couple of weeks ago. That was at Indiana Gun Club (Indy area). I realize the previous posters are not Indy people.
    My favorite 12 ga. load for 16 yd trap is:
    Rem. Gun Club hulls, Cheddite Primer, 15.0 gn. of E3 powder, Clay Buster 1118 Wad (AA equal) and 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 shot.
    Patterns well out of my gun w/ Imp. Mod choke tube. This is a fairly light load, crono's about 1125 FPS.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I think I paid $38 a bag for the last shot I bought (maybe 3-4 months ago). I think it was Eagle.

Top Bottom