• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Ok so my wife came up with this fifty little idea and gave it a shot. She received this candle maker years ago for a gift...ended up just collecting dust in the garage and I wanted to throw it out. She said "NO"!

Well came home from work and she had made some mini "emergency" candles!

The ingredients:
    Beer Caps
    Wax
    Wicks

They are great because you can throw them into a snack bag or sandwich bag and you have some emergency candles just in case.

Even though they are small they produce adequate lighting for emergencies, the only downfall is that it is wax and it will spill! However given the size and circumstances they are intended for these things are cheap to make, dont take up much space and the burn time is right around 50 minutes per cap!!

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    That's a good idea. It got me thinking, empty "Altoids smalls" containers might do well for a similar purpose.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Would probably be a decent little fire starter. On that note, another good fire starter is to cut 1" squares of cardboard and coat them with wax. The result is a waterproof fire starter that's easy to pack away.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    You can make a small buddy burner out of altoid tin, carboard and wax. Just make sure not to fill to the hinge, or it will leak out the hole. That can make an easy little stove for a bag that will not dry out like a sterno can uh...can.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    You can make a small buddy burner out of altoid tin, carboard and wax. Just make sure not to fill to the hinge, or it will leak out the hole. That can make an easy little stove for a bag that will not dry out like a sterno can uh...can.

Just don't leave your bag in your car during the summer. That candle stove will make one hell of a mess...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    That's a good idea. It got me thinking, empty "Altoids smalls" containers might do well for a similar purpose.

Thats a great idea, you get longer burning time and a built in lid to keep the candle protected!! :yesway:

Do this and put in three equaly spaced wicks. You then have variable levels of light and three will heat water.

Top Bottom