Beef sticks/beef jerky -- What's your go-to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am trying to low-carb as much as I can, which means substituting meat and veg for starchy snacks. I like beef jerky and beef sticks, but I do not like them heavily seasoned. Many that don't say spicy are still too spicy.

Suggestions for either jerky or sticks that are not too pricey and not too spicy? A step up from Slim Jims and Jack Link's, but nothing that will break the bank, because I will be consuming quite a bit of it.

(Yes, I've made my own. I just don't want to go there again.)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I LOVE this brand. my gums, not so much. Not cheap but one of the tastiest Ive ever had.

Its on the dryer side. so it can be a bit rough on the teeth and gums but probably the best flavor Ive had. If you like Love's Truck Stop house brand, you'll probably like this. (Dont freak at the price. that is a biiiiiig bag)

Amazon product ASIN B0176R2PY8

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I LOVE this brand. my gums, not so much. Not cheap but one of the tastiest Ive ever had.

Its on the dryer side. so it can be a bit rough on the teeth and gums but probably the best flavor Ive had. If you like Love's Truck Stop house brand, you'll probably like this. (Dont freak at the price. that is a biiiiiig bag)

Amazon product ASIN B0176R2PY8
    Amazon links don't show up. Maybe just screenshot the page? Thanks

Love's Truck Stop brand? Maybe I'll have to look one up.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I’m T1 diabetic so I look for low carb anyway, but man I hate how much beef jerky is sweetened in some way. I look for no-sugar or smoked (no cure) jerky only.

For sticks, I like the bulk packs at Sam’s Club (or similar bulk) turkey sticks. But I don’t often go for those since they’re refrigerated after opening. And who knows what they put in those tubes lol

Avoid fat-free in general as it is substituting sugar for flavor. So when looking for low sugar, often the whole or fatty versions of dairy & such are lower in added sugar. I snack on stuff like pickles, cheeses, yogurts, fruits & berries, grilled kebabs (like simply chicken & peppers), peanut/almond butter, Halo Top and Yasso frozen treats, etc

But yeah so much beef jerky is nearly candy now. My friends always laughed when I’d rant about that stuff until I pulled out a scale and showed them what like 10g added sugar per serving of jerky was

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I am trying to low-carb as much as I can, which means substituting meat and veg for starchy snacks. I like beef jerky and beef sticks, but I do not like them heavily seasoned. Many that don't say spicy are still too spicy.

Suggestions for either jerky or sticks that are not too pricey and not too spicy? A step up from Slim Jims and Jack Link's, but nothing that will break the bank, because I will be consuming quite a bit of it.

(Yes, I've made my own. I just don't want to go there again.)
    I like the Old Trapper brand Deli Style Original beef sticks, 15oz. One of the only things I go to WallyWorld for.

For beef jerky that I don't make myself, I like Old Trapper brand Old Fashioned beef jerky or Great Value at WallyWorld. OT has 5gm sugar, GV has 4gm sugar. I was getting the Old Trapper at Sams Club until they stopped having it in store and have it online for shipping only.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I like the Old Trapper brand Deli Style Original beef sticks, 15oz. One of the only things I go to WallyWorld for.

For beef jerky that I don't make myself, I like Old Trapper brand Old Fashioned beef jerky or Great Value at WallyWorld. OT has 5gm sugar, GV has 4gm sugar. I was getting the Old Trapper at Sams Club until they stopped having it in store and have it online for shipping only.
    I order online from Walmart. I bet I haven't set foot in the store in 7-8 years. I'll look for it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Cold cooked bacon makes a decent snack. If you're gonna do a lot of it, you'll want to study the label ingredients for the bad stuff.

Side benefit is the bacon drippings for cooking/seasoning other stuff.

Similarly, cold meatloaf is wonderful and you know the ingredients, because you made it.

Both are handy to have in the fridge. Reheat them for a totally different version of the same thing.

:drool:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I like these for backpacking. Single serving, good flavor, not as stringy as true jerky. While these are not true jerky they do not have that over processed taste/texture of meat sticks.

Jerky.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, reporting back on the Wenzel's Farm jerky and honey ham sticks that I got on Amazon. The jerky is a bit sweet and not very spicy. The subtle heat sneaks up on you, but it's tolerable. The honey ham sticks are good. I'd get them both again.

Top Bottom