• ...and so much more!
  • Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    My wife texted me at work yesterday afternoon with a photo of bees swarming on to of a downspout where it returns to the house. This is easily reachable from an 8' stepladder. Does anyone know a bee keeper who would be willing to come out and collect these bees ?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I saw something on the next door app local to me about bees swarming this time of year, and an offer of bee keepers to come and remove them for free vs. killing them.

Hope you find someone close offering the same

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A swarm in May is worth a ton of hay.

A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.

A swarm in July, ain't worth a fly.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Contact this guy. Computer tech support is his day job, but I had him come remove a swarm at my workplace a few years back. Heckuva nice guy, and very educational about bees, if you're interested. He trains other beekeepers, and will give a good home to the bees.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tech-support-dept-brownsburg

I expected him to show up with a suit, smoker, etc. He showed up in street clothes, placed the bees in a cardboard box with his bare hands, and was off. Made it look like nothing. I watched him do it from 10 feet away, had bees buzzing me like a blizzard, and never got stung once. As someone who knew nothing about bees, it was an incredibly interesting experience for me.

However, if you cannot get hold of a beekeeper, or they are not willing to collect a swarm off a hard structure using a ladder, not to worry. To relate what little I learned from this experience, if they're honeybees, there's no safety issue. They're no danger to anyone, and will be gone on their own in a few days. It's a queen who took a group of bees out with her to look for a new home. They do this when the hive gets too big and has too many queens. When they are in "swarm" mode, they are basically "homeless bees" and are docile because they have no hive to defend. You can walk right past them. Once the "scouts" locate a new place to move into, they will take off on their own. They will not become defensive again until they locate a new hive location and move into it.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Had a ball of honey bees in my neighbors tree a couple years ago. Size of a basketball. It was pretty cool. Gone the next day

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Thanks guys. Got the wife dealing with it seeing as some of us work full time for a living. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    A couple buddies and I set out 4 swarm traps a few weeks ago. Over the past week we have filled all four. The one at my house had the bees mostly gathered on the outside for about a week. I had to build a vacuum system to suck up all those on the outside so I could close the trap door on those inside. All were transported to the Bee Keeper and the queen in my swarm was in the vac system.

Find the queen and snatch her up. The rest will follow very quickly. I'm no bee keeper, but I say a big shop vav with about 8' of wand would get them contained. I also think once the scout bees find a more suitable spot to set up shop, they will come back and present their case to the rest of the swarm. They take a vote and decide amongst them which scout has found the best spot. If the queen is strong enough for flight, she will know exactly where to fly to(range of about 6 miles). The rest will follow. Problem solved.

I'm pretty sure my friend, the bee keeper, has all his hives full now or we could get them.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    My young granddaughters spotted bees going into the barn. My son called me to see if I knew a beekeeper that would come to get them. It took 10 days to find George that wanted them without a large charge. He would need electricity for his vacuum. We had 600 feet of cords out to the barn by the time he got there. Took him about 30 minutes to collect the bees and combs. It was a young hive.
    I studied his vacuum. It was a drawer from a dresser with a screened box at one end that could be removed. The screened box had a hole in the side for the hose and sheet of metal that would close it off when hose was removed. The other end had a small shop vac mounted. I copied his vacuum and hoped I'd never have to use it. It sat in my shop for 5 years.
    My daughter and granddaughter were in the garden center of our local Lowe's Home Improvement Center. My granddaughter spotted a dark spot moving through the center and landed on a hanging potted plant. I get The Call. I tell her what I want done. I leave home with my wife calling George. By the time I got there shopping carts are blocking off a 40 foot circle around the plant. I forgot to get my hood, gloves and jacket. I'm there in a flannel shirt and nothing to cover my face. I set my vac up and start sucking bees. Took about 10 minutes. As I shut the vac off the shoppers got loud thanking me. The manager asked what the charge was, nothing, I got a $50 gift card.
    As I'm walking back to my truck and thinking, what am I going to do with these bees? I look up at traffic and there's George pulling into the parking lot. We talk a bit, loaded my stuff in the truck and go back in to look things over. Not a bee in sight. He'll carry my screened box home and I can pick it up next time I'm in his area or he'll drop it off at mine. Nope, no measurements of his when I built mine, the boxes were the same size. So we swapped them.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I thought I had honey bees making a hive in my gutter, I went to investigate… they were yellow jackets, and they weren’t happy to see me :ar15:

Top Bottom