• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I just moved to Bedford yesterday from Terre Haute. I was used to having a pretty large number of reasonably priced gun stores when I lived in Terre Haute. There was Terre Haute Guns, Carson Arms, Top Guns, and Wabash Valley Armory. Here in Bedford, I haven't seen much. The only two places that I've been in are Dunham's and Cosner's. Cosner's had a pretty good selection and was friendly enough, but their prices were insane. I used to work at Gander Mountain, and some of Cosner's prices were higher than Gander's. :faint:

Are there any good shops close by that I'm missing?

Iron Brigadier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    Bloomington
    Leathers Limited in Bloomington has great prices but a limited selection. He'll order whatever you want though. Four Season Guns is good for ammo but the guns are overpriced

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    After a short while you will come to learn what I have learned about Bedford. I call this phenomenon the "Bedford Effect". People around there really, I mean really like their guns. And are willing to pay more for them. Hit a few local auctions, gun stores and shows and you will see what I mean. This is no way a disrespect to the people in the area. I mean they just really love their guns and will pay what they want for them and there is nothing wrong with that. I have only gotten two guns out of this area, but have picked up a few trinkets for a fair price out of Bedford. Cosner's is usually $50 to $80 above fool retail on items that I see in my area which is only one hour south. Your best best is to hit the pawn shops in the area and hit them often and have cash on hand. Even the army-navy surplus store is a bit on the high side but during the great gouge I did see an AK for $500 just sit there.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Bloomington:
    - Four Seasons gun shop - great small-medium sized shop, very friendly, $15 FFL transfers (maybe $20 now) --> they've handled my last 3 transfers
    - MC sports - good prices, ok selection, counter is actually manned by shooters who know more than other chain stores
    - Rural king - good prices, ok selection (sometimes GREAT prices for their 'gun of the week' sale)
    - Dick's - name says it all :) Ok selection of long guns and shotguns. If they have what you need, it's usually priced well if you can wait for a sale
    - Leathers limited - went to his old shop a few times, small selection, but very friendly and would order anything
    - Traildust army/navy surplus - no firearms, but reloading gear and some accessories

Sounds like you already know about the Bedford stores that I know also. I like Cosners, but the prices are just too high for me to justify any more purchases there

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Consners, MSRP on everything.

Harder's Gun Shop in Shoals. Not a huge selection but will order whatever you want. Prices reasonable.
    Great Outdoors in Jasper. Getting a bit of a drive unless your down that way. Prices reasonable.
    Gun Knives & More? (I think, in Paoli). Think they are reasonable, only been in there once.
    Trail Dust? - Bloomington never been there but hear good things.
    Rural King - Bloomington

Yes the pickings are pretty slim but you should be able to find enough to get by.

And I agree with the other poster on auctions. I have been to quite a few, shake my head at the prices and leave.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was in Cosners once (still lived in Salem-area then) 30 years ago. They were high then, sounds like things haven't changed.

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Welcome to the area! Did Cosner's still have $70 bricks of Thunderbolts? I would also suggest Leathers in Bloomington( nice guy & reasonable prices) & Paoli has Guns, Knives & More (good selection & he runs some good " at cost" sales at times).

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Cosines is a joke as far a pricing, and service is real hit or miss to. Used to if someone they knew was there to shoot the breeze then they would never bother to acknowledge you, let alone show you a gun. I even tried to purchase ammo once and gave up at the register as no one would bother to come to the register to take my money. I've not been back in several years now even to look.

MC Sports and Rural king are about all I visit in this area, but I've not been to four seasons and don't know why as I work a whole three or four blocks away. I need to get over there. There is a pawn shop in elletsville that sells new guns,and will order whatever for you to. They have very fair prices from what I've seen too.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Welcome to the area! Did Cosner's still have $70 bricks of Thunderbolts? I would also suggest Leathers in Bloomington( nice guy & reasonable prices) & Paoli has Guns, Knives & More (good selection & he runs some good " at cost" sales at times).

I was astounded the the prices were higher than Gander's. The people of Bedford must value convenience far more than their money.

On the positive side, they were really nice to me. I don't know if it was because I was dressed well or not. I told the salesman that I wasn't buying a gun and was just browsing. We started talking about the new Ruger LC9s and he let me hold the new SR9e. I didn't even ask to see it.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    There's jewels to be found everywhere, including Cosners. Over the years I've found several jewels at Cosners. My favorite thing at Cosners is the "used as new" tags with used guns priced like new ones ...! But if your going to trade a gun Cosners will give you more for your trade so in the end it's a wash, you end up paying about the same as anywhere else just the numbers are higher if that makes sense. A short drive away down in Bloomfield {its about like driving to Bloomington, maybe just a little further} there's the Archer's Spot, Holtsclaws and Herndons guns. The Archers spot has the best deals on Glocks in the surrounding area and most of their other stuff is pretty competitive too. Herndon's add 3% for card purchases so you gotta kinda take that into consideration when you are shopping there. And if your looking for a Ruger or some of the cheaper brands it's hard to be Holtsclaws. He usually don't have a lotta stuff but what he has is priced to sell. I live just about in the middle of nowhere and the center of everything so it's about the same drive to me so I've shopped and bought from them all at one time or another.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I pick out what I want at Cosners, then head down to Shoals and visit Dave at Harders to order when I'm ready to buy. You can't beat his prices. He's closed on Wednesdays - keep that in mind.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've done business with Herndon's. He's pretty good on prices and can order about anything you need. The other side of Bloomfield just makes him a bit inconvenient for me.

I've done business with Cosner's but like others have said, his prices are on the high side.

Guns, Knives, and More in Paoli is the closest store to me. I've browsed in there a few times and he seems OK. It's just tough to beat the on-line stores.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I pick out what I want at Cosners, then head down to Shoals and visit Dave at Harders to order when I'm ready to buy. You can't beat his prices. He's closed on Wednesdays - keep that in mind.

I keep thinking I'll go over there and check him out but haven't done it yet.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    another +1 for Four Seasons gun shop in Bloomington

It is a small shop, but he's always got nice guns. $15 transfers and will accept from private individuals. Never gave me any problems, easy to work with!

MC Sports isn't bad for a retail store, they always have lots of guns if you just have to find something, but it'll be at MSRP.

Top Bottom