BATF doing "warrant sweep" in Indy area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i'd like to know what they are charging people with.
    Police mum about warrant sweep

By Kevin O'Neal
    Posted: June 30, 2009

Several police agencies in Indianapolis are picking up criminal suspects in a warrant sweep this morning.The warrants are sealed by court order, said Kimberly Riddell, spokeswoman for the bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The federal agency is the lead department in the warrant operation, along with the U.S. Marshal, Indiana State Police and the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

Teams of officers have been serving the warrants, with many of them being handled on the Northeastside and Far Eastside.
    Because of the court order, police have not released information on the people being arrested or the cases being investigated.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thanks for the link. Here's what I wrote after I saw this:

Crime Sweep

Police mum about warrant sweep – The Indianapolis Star

OK, first, if the police are mum, the media should be as well. How does it serve the community to announce to criminals that the cops are out looking for them?

Now, second, this warrant sweep is a great thing. Neighborhood gangs are a big problem in Indy. There were 124 homicides in 2008 and 50 already this year in Marion County. They are predominantly homicides by firearm and just as predominantly young men shooting other young men. You draw your own conclusions after that.

These are the men and the guns you want to get off the street.

There have been a couple episodes of Crime 360 based in Indy just recently. The first was that of the Carter brothers (2008-102 and -103 last Halloween), and the second that of Michael Cowherd (2008-91 last September).

The Carter brothers were murdered by an AK-47 after attending (crashing?) a party and fighting over a girl. Cowherd was murdered by a 9mm when he was caught in the crossfire of his friend and his friend’s enemy.

Apparently these young men do not know the value of a life.

What I have learned by watching true crime on TV: if you want to stay alive, don’t hang around violent criminals.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008

OK, first, if the police are mum, the media should be as well. How does it serve the community to announce to criminals that the cops are out looking for them?

This was one of the things that popped into my mind as well. Thankfully, I'd guess most bangers with an illegal SBR or AOW and felons with handguns are probably not checking the news at 9:00am.:)

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Clean 'em up, boys

do you know what the warrants are for? or who they are arresting?

i would not go about cheering mass arrests ordered by federal agencies that Eric Holder leads. These people are not your friends, unless you are a communist or a fascist. (Check out Obama's support for the communist Prez of Honduras after he declared himself dictator and the Honduran military ousted him to uphold their constitution)

They may be arresting people who post on gun forums for all we know. That includes you, my friends.

i may prove to be too paranoid on this, and these may be legitimate criminals being arrested for legitimate crimes. However, we will only know that when the names of the arrested are released and their crimes are made public. Presumption of innocence, you know. Until then, stay vigilant, and keep your guard up and eyes open.

These may be political arrest, just like the closing of the Chrysler & GM dealers were politically motivated (99% of closed dealerships were contributors to Republican Party). I would not put anything past the evil of the current administration. Could be your door they knock on next. I'm not saying that this is what this is about, i have no idea. I'm just saying let's not jump to any conclusions.

BTW: I don't blame ISP or IMPD. they are just following orders. these warrants are just faceless names and they don't know anymore than you or i do whether the folks they pick up in these sweeps are criminals or not.

We'll see. We're dependent on local media to give us the skinny and investigate this, unless IMPD or ISP on this forum know what this is about and are willing to say. I suppose someone in the indy area could try to find out at the courthouse.

otherwise we wait.

If this operation was coming from local police, i'd have a different take. but a washington lead "sweep" raises my antennae.:twocents:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I may prove to be too paranoid on this, and these may be legitimate criminals being arrested for legitimate crimes. However, we will only know that when the names of the arrested are released and their crimes are made public. Presumption of innocence, you know. Until then, stay vigilant, and keep your guard up and eyes open.

.:twocents:

Drive your butt down here and I'll take you on an armed tour of the E side , then tell me why you think their over there .

I could be wrong , but I'll bet I'm not .

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We will soon find out what this is about, but if I could wager without violating a misdemeanor statute, I'd say: felon in possession and drugs with guns.

Brizzi (Newman and Goldsmith before him) has been crying out long and loud for the feds to commit resources to these areas and not let just MCPA carry the ball at the state level.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The Federal Marshals regularly and routinely tap other agencies for assistance on these warrant sweeps.

My brother in law, an Air Marshall, spent most of May working on a US Marshall warrant sweep in northern Ohio.

It's just easier for a federal LEO agency to get help from another federal LEO agency.

-J-

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    This 2008 homicide map is instructive:
    marion_co_homicide_2008.png

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Like i said, i could be wrong. but then again, who stood up to defend those that were hauled off to the gulags? who asked the questions when the warrants were served on those dissidents?

If you don't think those things can happen here, then you don't know our history.

Also, like i said, these could be legitimate arrest, for legitimate crimes. We'll have to wait for more info. All i am saying is the hoo-rahs should be held until we know who is being arrested and for what.

If these are known drug dealers or gangs or actual criminals, then i am glad to see murderers and thieves brought to justice. Too bad a local police/ sheriff reserve unit couldn't help out so the locals could take care of this without the feds. It violates the spirit of the Constitution. Take a look at Federalist #44 and #45 on the separations of duties between State and Federal government.

Is it still legal to mention the Federalists Papers or the Constitution of the United States of America? or has that been thrown under the bus of militarism of Totalitarian Government.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Again, another article where at least FOR ME, I cannot leave a comment on it.

Do any of you see comments? Can you leave a comment on it?

This seems to be under the control of the IndyStar, who appear to be able to turn off/on commenting for any given article.

(I know... it's a PRIVATE business. No guarantee of speech. Yada yada.)

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think Culpeper's concern is legitimate. But given the situation in Indy right now, I feel pretty confident that they are after illegal weapons in the hands of thugs. Convicted felons aren't allowed to own a gun - that is the law; you can think about whether it is constitutional. I have no problem with that law. Most of the thugs are already convicted of other stuff, if my constant watching of true crime shows on TV is any indication. Furthermore, most of the thugs don't have an LTCH.

As I said before, these are the guns and the men that we all want off the street.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Allow me to modify your posted thoughts slightly. My edits are in red. Deleted text in angle brackets.

Thanks for the link. Here's what I wrote after I saw this:

Crime Sweep

Police mum about warrant sweep – The Indianapolis Star

Now, second, this warrant sweep is a great thing. Neighborhood gangs are a big problem in Indy. There were 124 homicides in 2008 and 50 already this year in Marion County. They are predominantly homicides by people misusing firearms and just as predominantly young men shooting other young men. You draw your own conclusions after that.

These are the <men and the guns> criminals you want to get off the street.

There have been a couple episodes of Crime 360 based in Indy just recently. The first was that of the Carter brothers (2008-102 and -103 last Halloween), and the second that of Michael Cowherd (2008-91 last September).

The Carter brothers were murdered by a criminal using an AK-47-pattern rifle after attending (crashing?) a party and fighting over a girl. Cowherd was murdered by a criminal using a 9mm when he was caught in the crossfire of his friend and his friend’s enemy.

Apparently these young men do not know the value of a life.

What I have learned by watching true crime on TV: if you want to stay alive, don’t hang around violent criminals.

We cannot allow the antis to define the terms or thoughts. The above described 9mm and "AK-47" (the "A" stands for "Avtomat" or "automatic"; not likely, but theoretically possible) killed no one by themselves. Someone picked them up and with criminal intent, pulled the triggers.

Sorry if this comes across as nit-picky. I do not believe it to be so.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom