• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dkc4113

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I am interested in purchasing a 22 for target practice with the intent of keeping ammunition costs down. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Baretta U22 Neos and/or a Ruger Mark IV. They both appear to be in good shape. My only negative comment is that the Baretta seems to be overly complicated in terms of disassembly for cleaning. Any comments, either pro or con, on either?
    Thank you,
    D.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not a huge Ruger guy here, but every gun owner should own at least one Ruger MK 1-4 Series pistol. I have a Bull MK 2 that I bought at Montgomery Wards a long time ago.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have had both, the Beretta was ahead of times with the thumb wheel take down and full rail. But after owning several MK IV's I would pick the Ruger. Ruger also has one of the best customer service departments in the industry if needed.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Paging @doddg, he's owned most of the .22lr pistols.

I've never owned a Neos.

The Mark IV has enough after market support that you can build one with zero Ruger parts.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Mark IV has a stupid easy take down. You will not regret getting the Mark IV.
    Plus, there are aftermarket upgrades from many companies...Tandemkross, Kidd, Volquartsen, etc.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Never held or shot a neos so can't compare. But as others have stated you can't go wrong with a ruger. Especially gen 4 with the simple take down.

I have a Mark iii and iv. Both great shooters but highly customized and that's because of the tremendous aftermarket availability

Mark iii

20230224_181549.jpg

Mark iv
    20171203_175512.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love it when someone getting into shooting .22LR asks about which one.
    I get it about the ammunition costs, being retired now.
    In the past, I have had 4 of the Beretta Neos pistols & a dozen of the Ruger Mark series, mostly Mark 3 & Mark 4.
    I enjoyed both, & if I took the time I could find old range pics of both but after I had to switch computers it's difficult to find old pics now b/c of labeling.
    Found a few (below).

The Mark 4 are easy to field strip, it is the Mark 2 & 3 that are problematic (no memory of Mark 1, haha)

From memory: Ruger 4 over the Neos.
    But, for my eyes & hands, the Browning Buckmarks have done better than any of the usual offerings & many of the unusual ones.

Old target w/5 pistols (Mark 4 bottom left)
    Browning Buckmark on top left, illustrating my point of better accuracy than the others, for me.
    Range 4.08.19 20' using a rest remaining five .22LR.JPG

Mark 4 & SW Victory @ 30'.
    Range 4.29.19 30' Ruger Mark 4 Target vs. SW Victory. Rest and Free.JPG

Range 4.29.19 Ruger Mark 4 Target. 12' & 20' & 30' and 40' Rest and Free.JPG

Example of a Browning Buckmark I should have never of sold showing accuracy better than about any other of the .22LR pistols.
    Range. 7.12.19 Browning Buckmark Target 20'.JPG

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The Neos is a cheeped down version of a real Beretta target pistol.... The Beretta 87 or 89 series.

z2SpxZ1l.jpg

Good luck finding one though.

I would pass on the Neos, its main advantage was you could swap it to all sorts of configs, none of which are available anymore..

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've never owned or shot either one, but I need to bump up my posts...trying for 50 quality posts....
    I've loved the Mk IV's ever since they came out...I would love to have one.........KellyinAvon...does this count?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Neos is a cheeped down version of a real Beretta target pistol.... The Beretta 87 or 89 series.

z2SpxZ1l.jpg

Good luck finding one though.

I would pass on the Neos, its main advantage was you could swap it to all sorts of configs, none of which are available anymore..
    I used to buy the Beretta Neos: $175- $225 anytime.
    Smith Victory: $275-$325.
    Mark 4: $300 +/-
    Before the election & Covid.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I bought a .22LR Friday that is 50+ yrs. old & ended production in 1984.
    I've had many guns no longer in production.

View attachment 282208
    View attachment 282209 View attachment 282210
    Well for Beretta, it is kind of concerning. They don't really have a real 22 target offering after the U22 Neos got discontinued.

Only 22LR offerings now are the little 21As and the 22LR 92FS.. nothing I would really fit the role that the 76, 87, 89, or U22 Neos filled.

The big plus for the U22 neos was its modularity, but with everything out of production, its a useless feature.. the various grips are hard to find (unless you want black) and the carbine kit is unobtainioum.

We can only hope the rumored 80X Cheetah in 22LR isn't vaporvare.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I love Berettas, but I can't speak to the Neos.

I own a MkII Target and a MkIV Tactical (with a standard and a target upper). I like them enough that were I to come across a deal on another Mk-series, I'd happily own a third.

The MkII was better out of the box, but I upgraded the MkIV with Volquartsen's "accurizing kit" and it's absolutely phenomenal. I tried the Tandemkross stuff first because it was cheaper...my recommendation if you get the MkIV is just skip that and get the Volquartsen parts.

Top Bottom