• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    So what bothers you most about these eagles beings shot?

Patriotic symbol/National bird?
    Hunting animal illegally without a license/permit/season/poaching/etc?
    Because they were endangered/threatened prior to 2007?
    Native American culture/spiritual?
    Because the idea of it is just generally taboo?
    Some other reason?

Some here, like in other poaching threads, seem to imply that you would severely hurt or even murder someone who takes an animal in the U.S. in a way that is against hunting/trapping laws set in place.

I'm not saying knee-jerk reactions are bad, necessarily, I understand the reactions and think the birds are beautiful and rare, but not everything is black and white every time.

Maybe Franklin was right, suggesting the Turkey as our national bird. :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This disgusts me partly because it's a waste to kill an animal for no other reason (it appears) to watch it die; but more importantly because its a national symbol. Of course watching people desecrate an American flag, mock the national anthem, or pledge of allegiance equally disgusts me.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)

^^^This^^^

People who do not respect our laws concern me greatly and killing an Eagle is against the law. For the Choctaw an Eagle is a symbol of nobility, strength, and PEACE. Someone who destroys one without cause is someone to fear. My hope is that it was a young Eagle that was not yet easy to identify and was mistaken to be a different bird of prey.

Tripmaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Question for people in this thread. Keep your flaming me to a minimum because I agree with not killing them, but just wanted to ask why everyone here is upset by this...

Because the idea of it is just generally taboo?
    Some other reason?

All of the above.

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN

Some other reason?

All the above.

When DDT nearly wiped them out, the Falconers all over the country busted their a$$es to bring them back. Other raptors, too.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Male and female bald eagles look alike. Without having two together to judge relative size, it would be almost impossible to determine the bird's sex just by looking at it.

I think you're making an awfully big assumption that both birds were killed by the same person. There's a lot of ignorant people out there who would kill an eagle, hawk or falcon without batting an eye. I'm surprised that the dumbass who did the first one hasn't bragged to his buddies and gotten nabbed yet. Maybe this guy will.

the Same Great White Hunters that shoot dogs walking thru the woods :noway:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    All the above.

When DDT nearly wiped them out, the Falconers all over the country busted their a$$es to bring them back. Other raptors, too.

Ah, so you read Rachel Carson's :bs: tome 'Silent Spring'.
    DDT has not been proven - at all - to have any effect on birds of prey, or other animals.

It was - and is - the most effective anti-malarial on the planet barring none.
    It is non-toxic and non-carcinogenic.

Facts over Fears

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This disgusts me partly because it's a waste to kill an animal for no other reason (it appears) to watch it die; but more importantly because its a national symbol. Of course watching people desecrate an American flag, mock the national anthem, or pledge of allegiance equally disgusts me.

Yep, shooting an Eagle is very much like burning a flag. In the sense that its wanton killing of wildlife that's also a national symbol, it's almost worse than burning a flag. Really makes you wonder what the perp was thinking.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    The Bald Eagle represents strength, the spirit of freedom and our independence.
    I cant imagine the guilty party having a sound conscience after committing such an atrocity.

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    Ah, so you read Rachel Carson's :bs: tome 'Silent Spring'.
    DDT has not been proven - at all - to have any effect on birds of prey, or other animals.

It was - and is - the most effective anti-malarial on the planet barring none.
    It is non-toxic and non-carcinogenic.

Facts over Fears

Nope never read it.
    Something softened the egg shells to the point of them losing most of the young. Falconers worked for many years to bring them back, even though they never got much recognition for it.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I don't know their numbers, but they are certainly no longer endangered.

I was flying back from Kansas City a couple of weeks ago and, because it was so stinkin' cold up high, I stayed down below the clouds at 3500 feet -- about 2500' above the ground.

Over central Missouri, I saw a small, dark speck dead ahead. As I closed on the speck at 160 knots, it grew larger and passed by my port side. I saw the white head and tail, wings outspread -- it was a bald eagle. Cool!

Within 10 minutes, I saw another dot ahead, growing rapidly larger. I turned off the autopilot because it was not moving out of my way. I swerved to miss ANOTHER eagle!

About 20 minutes after that, I had to take evasive action again as I came up behind yet another raptor, this time a hawk with a striped tail, that folded his wings and dived at the last second.

Apparently, 3500' is a popular altitude for large raptors. Not good for small planes. :eek:

volsfandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Swayzee
    why do some people get in the woods with a gun and think they have to shoot any animal they see? especially a bald eagle, they are an awesome sight. once while fishing a very big tournament on patoka i dropped my rod and spent the better part of an hour watching two of em. then i realized i was tryin to make some money and better get back to work. i hope this pathetic excuse for an outdoorsman is punished to the fullest extent of the law and maybe a lil bit more after that

Top Bottom