• ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Which do you use and why?

I've only used spinning reels and am wondering why I should learn to throw a baitcaster. What is the benefit?

I keep hearing that spinning rigs are only for finesse fishing, but in my experience they can handle bigger stuff. I've seen rods rated for up to 1 ounce lures and reels with drags up to 24 pounds. Beats some of the baitcaster stuff.

Having said all that, I have the itch to learn to use a baitcaster rig and will learn. Just want to know why people choose it over spinning rigs.

Thanks guys.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I use both. Spinning for jigging for walleye and for panfish. Baitcast for small mouth, bass. pike and muskie. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The spinning is easy to learn, easy to cast, and can cast further, but the line twists. Mono is worse than braided for twisting, I have switched to braided. Baitcast is harder to learn to cast and there is the risk of the dreaded backlash, but no line twist to speak of. The adjustments on the baitcast are more complex, especially adjusting the micro drag to reduce backlash, which is best adjusted for each lure. The newer baitcast reels are really very good and if I could only choose one, it would be the baitcast, just my personal preference.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Spinning reels are all I use. It's a pain, but every cast is checked for loose line at the spool. Also the line is sprayed with Real Magic and uncoiled every couple of weeks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never could get the hang of a bait caster, but then again, my only experience has been with the "old timey" ones. I don't know if the newer ones are any easier or not.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have both. As said baitcaster take some getting used to. Driveway and a egg sinker. Started with targets to aim for and moved to longer casts Mine are saltwater rigs so not as much finesse involved
    Definitely harder to use but fun when you master bait casting reels.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also have and use both and yes each has advantages. My spinning are medium weight to ultralight with the lighter lines making it easier to cast lighter baits to spooky fish. Baitcasters are heavier line and baits when finding larger fish is possible. All my stuff except the line is old and I have to educate my thumb break in the spring to keep the backlash down. Jim.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I use both but generally. I use the spinning reels for when I'm just hanging out with the family going after panfish. When I'm going after lmb or smb I use my baitcasters 99% of the time as I don't finese fish a lot.

I love my baitcasters. It's just fun for me. But I also use fishing as a meditative activity. ..

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I use both. Spinning for jigging for walleye and for panfish. Baitcast for small mouth, bass. pike and muskie. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The spinning is easy to learn, easy to cast, and can cast further, but the line twists. Mono is worse than braided for twisting, I have switched to braided. Baitcast is harder to learn to cast and there is the risk of the dreaded backlash, but no line twist to speak of. The adjustments on the baitcast are more complex, especially adjusting the micro drag to reduce backlash, which is best adjusted for each lure. The newer baitcast reels are really very good and if I could only choose one, it would be the baitcast, just my personal preference.
    So it basically comes down to line twist (or lack of) for you, if I am reading correctly, right?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm 100% a spinning reel guy...but I'm not a hardcore bass fisherman either.

To me, baitcasters are for "power fishing"...long, medium heavy rods action chucking 1/2oz or heavier crankbaits/jerkbaits or weighted soft plastic for punching vegetation mats.

I find it too enjoyable to catch a 3-4lb largemouth on a 5.5' light action rod.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I fish, it's with a spinning reel. I tried baitcasters but ended up sticking with spinning. I could cast way farther with a baitcaster but they may have been due to heavier baits and stiffer rods.

I really only fish when I go to the Boundary Waters where we mostly catch Smallmouth Bass. We do catch Pike, Lake Trout on occasion to.

Reactions: Leo

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I also have and use both and yes each has advantages. My spinning are medium weight to ultralight with the lighter lines making it easier to cast lighter baits to spooky fish. Baitcasters are heavier line and baits when finding larger fish is possible. All my stuff except the line is old and I have to educate my thumb break in the spring to keep the backlash down. Jim.
    I have landed some pretty big wipers with spinning gear at Oakdale Dam back when the wall was accessible. So you can land big 'uns with spinning gear. Used a Shimano Stradic 4000 on a G. Loomis med heavy rod with 20 lb mono. Later I switched to 30 lb braid.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    "So it basically comes down to line twist (or lack of) for you, if I am reading correctly, right?"
    Just part of the equation. I have more line twist with mono, virtually eliminated with braided line. I still get some line twist with braided but it is manageable. Some say they do not have trouble with twist. That is not my experience. When fishing in Canada and casting all day, I always had line twist issues with mono. I do feel I am more accurate with the baitcaster, this is important when casting for small mouth bass. I like the "feel" I get with the baitcaster, especially when used with a blank through handle graphite rod. As others have stated, my choice is based on type of lure, lure weight, type of fish, fishing location and fishing method. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Top Bottom