• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've got 7 bad bullets and was thinking about taking them apart. 6 are 7.62x39, the other is a wolf 9mm. One 7.62 stove piped, the others caught the reciever from loose mag issues I corrected. 9mm was a jam that didn't want to clear, I didn't want to shoot it in fear of bad karma.

So if I have no tools and don't plan on shooting these bullets, ever, what's the best way to disassemble? Or would someone on the west side of indy like to help me learn to pull bullets?

:D

BTW, it's to educate my kids. Hard to explain bullet, powder, case, and primer without being able to show them. I did find a sabot slug at the range though... :p

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've only taken a couple of bullets apart, but I just use a pair of pliers and slowly pull out the bullet. If you don't want to hold the bullet while doing so you can use a vise to hold the bullet.
    Oh, always keep the bullet pointed downrange. :laugh:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I reload, so I have a bullet puller that is one of those hammer looking deals with the clear plastic head. Get one of these if you think you might want to start reloading. The last I checked, they were less than $20.00.

If you don't want to go that route, I'd put the bullet end of the cartridge in a vise and rock the brass case until it separates from the bullet. If you don't have a vise, use vise grips. If you don't have vise grips, use pliers.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Make sure you do the "Bugs Bunny" test where you hit the "point" with a hammer first to see if it's a dud.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Make sure you do the "Bugs Bunny" test where you hit the "point" with a hammer first to see if it's a dud.

Oh I did the Wille E Coyote test and sat on the bullet and smacked the primer. no bang I'm good! :n00b:

Seriously though, I thought about yanking with pliers but I was worried that too much pressure on the case would make it cook off into my face.

I'd LOVE to get into reloading but I have neither the space nor the money to start. It would be very nice to be able to make my own rounds though.

I'll give the pliers thing a shot but I'm trying to save the powder too. We'll see how it goes tonight.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just take your time with the pliers and slowly work it out. If you wiggle it back and forth you'll know when it is coming and just let the pressure off as it gets closer. You'll do fine.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Bring the little bastages to the build party and I'll pull 'em for you.

I may do that. I'm going to try my stove-piped round myself tonight when the hellians go to bed and I clean my pistolas. That way I only blow up my own face and not theirs! :n00b:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Murphy is a bad man, but I dont know how you could set a round off without crushing the primer. If you are holding the case with one pair of pliers and pulling the projectile out with another pliers, I can't see how you could set the round off.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea, I didn't think it would but I've been wrong before. I just wish I had a vice. I'll figure something out.

If the Primer is squeezed will it set it off?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, just checking. Again. I didn't know if just a good hard hit or pressure would cook it off. Glad I asked.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, I was wondering where to place the pliers/vice grips on the casing. I figured the bottom would allow less pressure on the bullet therefore easier to pull. But I also figured by doing so would increase the pressure on the primer and set it off so I wanted to ask.

I guess the best place would be just below the neck of the case?

Top Bottom