• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I should note that by *backup gun*, I'm referring to the one that's at home in the box - to be pressed into service should #1 go down for any reason.

That's the intent of this thread - what to carry when what I carry isn't available for whatever reason.

NOT carrying a backup gun. ;-)

Now, see, I thought we'd straightened that out!

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I should note that by *backup gun*, I'm referring to the one that's at home in the box - to be pressed into service should #1 go down for any reason.

That's the intent of this thread - what to carry when what I carry isn't available for whatever reason.

NOT carrying a backup gun. ;-)

Sorry, probably my fault because I think I'm the one who introduced the CC BUG element. As far as a standby gun if the primary is unavailable, I'd be of the opinion that another of the same model would be best. Ammo and accessories will be interchangeable and no learning curve.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now, if we're going to talk about carrying two guns (or more) at once... There are plenty of threads on that. :D

I may or may not be in the habit of doing so.

Well, okay then.

But that's what I thought this topic was about! <--- note the dangling preposition

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I also think having a duplicate or near duplicate of your EDC or primary weapon is the way to go. I am picking one up from my LGS after work today. All of mine have the same MOA, at least how I carry them. It's nice when no matter which gun you pick up it's all same same.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I just checked out several backup guns myself yesterday and found myself gravitating towards the same brand/model as my primary simply because the similarities in operation won't require any learning curve and as a southpaw I've already learned how to compensate for right-hand-oriented actions which is not something I want to have to learn multiple times or multiple ways.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just checked out several backup guns myself yesterday and found myself gravitating towards the same brand/model as my primary simply because the similarities in operation won't require any learning curve and as a southpaw I've already learned how to compensate for right-hand-oriented actions which is not something I want to have to learn multiple times or multiple ways.

There is much to be said for similarity / same manual of arms. This is one of the reason that I really pared down what it is that I own to go with quality over quantity. (Though many may scoff at S&W's quality...lol)

I never could figure out how some folks keep vastly different carry guns "in rotation" - IE a single action pistol w/ safety vs a Glock-type pistol. Personally, I'd be too afraid I'd muck something up at "just" the wrong time because I was expecting there to be a point & click interface in my hand but instead ended up with a gun needing a safety flicked off. But that's ME. And I've kind of gotten to the point where it doesn't really matter to ME what others carry.

I think eventually i will go with the J frame S&W 642 as a BUG/Pocket Gun.

That ain't a bad idea at all! I love the concealability and portability of my Jframe. I did put walnut boot grips on it to aid in concealment and drawing - but boy does it make shooting it SUCK.

-J-

Top Bottom