• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If there's another thread on this topic, I apologize in advance. I'm planning a bowhunting elk trip to Colorado next year, and have actually been followed by a mountain lion on a prior trip. I'm looking for a carry solution that will work with a backpack and be accessible with either hand. I'm still early enough in the outfitting process that I haven't made a final backpack selection, so I can try to find a combo that works well together. Question is, do any of my fellow INGOers have any experience with backpacking carry? If so, how did you carry your pistol and how did it work for you? We'll be way up in the back-country, so OC should be fine.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    what kind of pistol? big ol' bear gun or one sized for two legged critters?

i'm in the same boat you are - i backpack as much as i can every summer and have carried differently every time. still trying to find the perfect arrangement. this summer i plan on packing near here mostly so i'm leaning towards just carrying a little .38 special revolver.

i was considering the Safepacker mainly for the many options it offered as far as how i could carry it. if you research it a little you will find that with a little practice you can draw quickly, mount it to your pack/belt/whatever a lot of different ways, and it will protect your hogleg from getting beat around in the sticks and rocks and such. i haven't bought one yet and probably won't as i feel it is a bit expensive for what it is.

for now and generally in the past i just open carry on the hip. my packs are pretty slim since i'm usually out for 2 night trips during warm weather so i have never had any trouble getting my belt, holster, pistol, and pack waist belt to all play nice. i could definitely see potential for things to get tangled up and uncomfortable if you are carrying a large frame pistol, a large pack, etc...

if you're carrying a big revolver maybe the Alaska Sportsman Chest Holster is an option?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd go with a gun with a belt clip, like some kel-tecs (all I can think of atm) so that you can easily transfer it from the hip-strap to your belt as you take off/on your pack.

just my :twocents:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Fobus holster for the GP100(used to be a fobus holster for the P95) clipped onto the waist strap of my pack. I used that for long distance overnight hikes.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When I go ultralight or very discreet I carry my .380 in a pouch that loops through the hip belt stabilizer strap. When I am carrying heavier firepower I use the same hip belt stabilizer strap (all of my backpacks have them except a small daypack) for any one of several of my through the belt holsters.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the replies, fellas! I've looked at the Safepacker and it looks pretty interesting, as well as several other rigs. Although it's a little pricey, the rig I choose will be protecting a $1200 Kimber so I can live with paying as little more. I'm even looking at backpacks with Molle webbing on the padded waist straps, then mounting a Blackhawk Serpa in a cross-draw position on the weak side. Drawing a bow will still be a consideration, so I'll have to find something that'll keep the gun out of the bowstring path.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The Kabar TDI fanny pack gives you a lot of options in how you carry it.

You can wear it stand alone, or thread a belt through it, so if you are not wearing your larger pack or using a smaller day pack, it is not useless. It carries an amazing amount of gear and still compact. Easy to wear all day in the most uneven of terrain.

I have used one for 3 years and I am very happy with it. You could also look at a 511 vest or something similar. They are pretty good for hunting and I use the hell out of mine but the TDI has taken over the weapons load for anything from short walks to all day hikes or overnight camping. Both are fine with a bow.

Top Bottom