• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Looking to get a large pack for a 3+ day pack, also something that could be used for an emergency "Bug out Bag". Already have an EDC pack "Maxpedition Malaga" but need something for a longer period of time. Any recommendations appreciated.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Mystery Ranch 3-day assault or Komodo. I also have a 5.11 3-day/72, fine for what it is, but it's no mystery ranch.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    How big of a pack are you looking for? People can pack very differently for 3+ days of hiking and a BOB can have lord knows what. I would start with what gear you're wanting to pack around and go from there. Mystery Ranch is top of line but very pricey. I'm sure you could find a nice 60L or so hiking bag with internal frame for a reasonable amount. I have an Osprey and I like it but don't have significant experience. An issued external plastic frame ruck can be had for pretty cheap as a BOB but it will probably be ACU :noway:.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Most people who don't live out of a pack much, pack you much. If you can resist that urge there are some relatively inexpensive options that carry fairly well and are plenty durable for the role you cite. A ULA Circuit comes to mind and one I've used that did well for what it was.

If you intend to use the thing regularly, the ultralights won't hold up to much of a beating and are thus poor choices. Kifaru is king, but I Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier each do a couple of very versatile modular packs that can fit a niche.

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. I am just looking to expand my options, and need something larger. I hate to spend money on something and then to wish i had done something differently. I don't mind spending money on a good product, and hope to find products that are usable for several different purposes. Thanks for the direction

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Got several ILBE ex-Marine packs here on a group buy a while back. Will hold about anything, very sturdy, very versatile, very adjustable, but a bit heavier than the external frame packs we use for backpacking.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Very true. Remember that just because you can carry more doesn't mean you should.
    Also true. But the ILBE is so voluminous that you can carry large-but-light items (sleeping bags and pads) inside where they are protected from damage and the elements. And the full-length side zippers mean you can get to about anything quickly.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I bought 2 of the ILBE bags, its my first BOB I'll probably end up with something smaller someday for a different type load, but for now its what I want and need.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I have several bags that I use. I got in on the ILBE group buy and those bags are awesome! I also have vast experience with the Army's assault packs and have several of those. I initially tried some LA Police gear bags which looked like a good buy on sale but have not held up very well. The seams have pulled apart and the zippers are hard to manipulate. I have relegated them to range bags mainly. I don't have much civilian bag advice but Milsurp is great and you can get it off ebay for cheap!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    For a large relatively inexpensive pack, I have a hard time choosing between the ILBE and the Army frame/pack combo. The ILBE is narrower and made of a bit more durable nylon. Its suspension is adjustable over a fairly wide range and its suspension and dual aluminum stay are fairly comfortable. However, it's a ***** to repair. The weak point of the Army system is the frame, but the suspension system is fairly comfortable and the frame does help spread the load a fair amount. It is wider than the ILBE - which means it carries bulkier items a little better. Best to try to get one with the optional sleeping bag carrier, which attaches to the frame and allows more room inside for "stuff." In the "more expensive" category; CamelBak built some expedition-type packs somewhat comparable to Kifaru and other high-end products, and I think highly of CamelBak's quality, but I haven't seen these larger packs advertised for some years, so I don't know if they dropped the product line.

Top Bottom