• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TBone3006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    I just finished paying off a winchester model 62A rifle at the Laf. Gander Mountain and much to my suprise I had to go thru the background check. I thought the checks were for handguns only. Is this normal? :dunno:

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You're thinking of the old Indiana system before the federal NICS system. You used to have to WAIT after purchasing a handgun unless you had the Indiana LTCH, in which case you could take it with you immediately. There was no waiting period on a long gun.

Now, all firearms are the same. You fill out the form, the dealer calls into NICS, if you're OK they get an immediate authorization and you take your gun with you.

Sometimes dealers will ask if you have an Indiana LTCH but that has no bearing on the purchase. A good dealer, in my opinion, will ensure that you know how to legally transport the gun home. If you don't have a LTCH they should give you some instruction on how to get it home without violating the law.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    You're thinking of the old Indiana system before the federal NICS system. You used to have to WAIT after purchasing a handgun unless you had the Indiana LTCH, in which case you could take it with you immediately. There was no waiting period on a long gun.

Now, all firearms are the same. You fill out the form, the dealer calls into NICS, if you're OK they get an immediate authorization and you take your gun with you.

Sometimes dealers will ask if you have an Indiana LTCH but that has no bearing on the purchase. A good dealer, in my opinion, will ensure that you know how to legally transport the gun home. If you don't have a LTCH they should give you some instruction on how to get it home without violating the law.

^^^^ This
    Sometimes it is confusing because people remember the old law.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    .................A good dealer, in my opinion, will ensure that you know how to legally transport the gun home. If you don't have a LTCH they should give you some instruction on how to get it home without violating the law.

And a good car salesman makes sure you have a valid drivers license before he sells you a car and knows that you have insurance too, right?

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    And a good car salesman makes sure you have a valid drivers license before he sells you a car and knows that you have insurance too, right?

Erik's Chevrolet in Kokomo does. You have to show proof of insurance on the new car before you can take it off the lot.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Erik's Chevrolet in Kokomo does. You have to show proof of insurance on the new car before you can take it off the lot.
    This is getting off topic, but my guess is that this is about protecting the bank's assets. If they acted as the bank's agent and sold you a car loan where the car was the collateral (which is normal practice), then they want to know the car is insured before you expose it to any risk.

TBone3006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I moved here from MO about 4 years ago. No background checks on long guns at that time. This was the first long gun I have bought since moving to IN. It just caught me off guard when they ran the BG check.

Top Bottom