• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    If the IDNR online course is valid, what about the AZ DNR course?

Hunter-Ed.com: Get Your Hunting License Certification with the Arizona Course

The Indiana course is completely online... the Arizona course has a classroom component.

"After passing the online course, students must attend a Field Day provided by the Arizona Game and Fish Department. You must successfully complete the Field Day within 90 days of passing the online course. If you pass the online course but do not complete your Field Day within 90 days, you must register for and complete the online course again."

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Arizona-Ohio reciprocity glitch

Recently, on another thread, a "glitch" in the wording of the Arizona-Ohio reciprocity agreement came to light.

On the second page of the agreement, after all the "Whereas" paragraphs on the first page, item number one states regarding reciprocity with Arizona, "...State of Ohio will give full faith and credit to the concealed weapons permit issued by the respective states to residents of each respective state,..." (emphasis added)

I had an extended conversation, today, with Justin Hykes, Assistant Ohio Attorney General, who is assigned to the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA), which administers the Ohio carry permits. Mr. Hykes was unaware of the language in the agreement but said it does seem to indicate it limits to residents of Arizona.

However, he went on to say the Ohio AG website lists Arizona as a reciprocal state with no qualifiers. Therefore, any LEO in Ohio would see that and recognize the valid Arizona permit of an Indiana resident. He went on to say if he were questioned as to whether Ohio recognized the Arizona permit for non-Arizona residents, he would answer "yes."

Additionally, he stated that the language in the agreement was generated by Arizona, not Ohio. Consequently, he will be taking no action to address the issue. He stated that it was lower on the priority list than littering!

It is important to note that Mr. Hykes has no authority to make any changes or to issue an official opinion. He is, however, the go-to guy regarding legal issues in OPOTA in general and handgun carry specifically.

He is not aware of any non-resident of Arizona with a valid Arizona carry permit being arrested based on the "fine print" in the agreement, and he would not support such, because the Ohio AG website clearly states, with no qualifiers, that Ohio honors valid Arizona permits.

Bottom line: we are good to go in Ohio with an out-of-state Arizona permit, in spite of the "residents of each respective state" language.

Please do not bring this to the attention of Arizona DPS or AG. Let the sleeping dog lie!

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Recently, on another thread, a "glitch" in the wording of the Arizona-Ohio reciprocity agreement came to light.

On the second page of the agreement, after all the "Whereas" paragraphs on the first page, item number one states regarding reciprocity with Arizona, "...State of Ohio will give full faith and credit to the concealed weapons permit issued by the respective states to residents of each respective state,..." (emphasis added)

I had an extended conversation, today, with Justin Hykes, Assistant Ohio Attorney General, who is assigned to the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA), which administers the Ohio carry permits. Mr. Hykes was unaware of the language in the agreement but said it does seem to indicate it limits to residents of Arizona.

However, he went on to say the Ohio AG website lists Arizona as a reciprocal state with no qualifiers. Therefore, any LEO in Ohio would see that and recognize the valid Arizona permit of an Indiana resident. He went on to say if he were questioned as to whether Ohio recognized the Arizona permit for non-Arizona residents, he would answer "yes."

Additionally, he stated that the language in the agreement was generated by Arizona, not Ohio. Consequently, he will be taking no action to address the issue. He stated that it was lower on the priority list than littering!

It is important to note that Mr. Hykes has no authority to make any changes or to issue an official opinion. He is, however, the go-to guy regarding legal issues in OPOTA in general and handgun carry specifically.

He is not aware of any non-resident of Arizona with a valid Arizona carry permit being arrested based on the "fine print" in the agreement, and he would not support such, because the Ohio AG website clearly states, with no qualifiers, that Ohio honors valid Arizona permits.

Bottom line: we are good to go in Ohio with an out-of-state Arizona permit, in spite of the "residents of each respective state" language.

Please do not bring this to the attention of Arizona DPS or AG. Let the sleeping dog lie!

You need to copy/paste this EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

Fan-freaking-tastic news!!!!!!

-J-

klrbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks for the update and legwork, NIFT. I got my AZ non-resident permit specifically for OH and was concerned when I found out about the "glitch" in language. I think I will still get the UT non-resident permit just in case but I feel better about traveling in OH now. Thanks again.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    You need to copy/paste this EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

Fan-freaking-tastic news!!!!!!

-J-

Down boy. Down! :)

Remember: the language in the AZ-OH reciprocity agreement still can be taken to mean the AZ permit only applies to residents of AZ, but Mr. Hykes assured me Ohio will accept the AZ permit without conditions, per the Ohio AG website.

I have been corresponiding with Gary at handgunlaw.us, and we are in full agreement this (and all the other recognition/reciprocity fal-de-ral) is a royal PITA, but it is what it is--at least for now. Gary must err on the side of caution and actual language in the reciprocity agreement; so, his site will note that the AZ permit is good in OH only for residents of AZ.

I will continue to advise my students about the out-of-state AZ permit but with the latest caveat.

What a colossal 55-gallon drum of worms!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Took the course and have already printed off my certificate. Now just need to wait for the documents from AZ. Pretty easy, really. Wish I would have done this sooner. Now I have to hope that everything happens fast. Supposed to leave for Virginia Beach in mid September. Doubt the permit arrives by then.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg

Good to know. I received my paperwork about the time this controversy first came to light so I have put off sending it in. I even considered scrapping those plans and getting a FL non-resident permit instead (which I still may do anyway).

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    Yikes!

I was doing research on reciprocity, to make sure no laws have changed.
    Went to handgunlaw.us, and seen the whole AZ residents only thing.
    Double checked on some other sites and seemed to be true.

I even read the legalese of the agreement on Mike DeWine's AG site.

Soooo, I am confused. So far it seems to be legal to carry in OH with a
    non resident AZ license. My concern is if one has to exercise this license
    and defend oneself. How legal is it then?

This is a little frustrating.

Apparently I need to check reciprocity laws once a week or more to stay up to date.
    I thought every few months would be okay.

Has anyone heard any further clarification on this subject?

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Are you looking to conceal or open carry? You can open carry there if you can open carry here. If you are worried about open carrying in a bigger city dont. I use to live out there and the first week I was out there I saw this guy on his harley that had 2 1911's on his back that he was just open carrying.

Lots of ppl open carry out there.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Disappointing to see that you have to either be a resident of AZ OR A US Citizen. I am neither.

I'll stick to my KY CCDW if I ever get around to taking the dang class.

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Disappointing to see that you have to either be a resident of AZ OR A US Citizen. I am neither.

I'll stick to my KY CCDW if I ever get around to taking the dang class.

What are you waiting for? Even if you never carry it is worth the time just to simplify transporting your guns.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    What are you waiting for? Even if you never carry it is worth the time just to simplify transporting your guns.

Yeah I just never have a day off work to do it. The class is 8hrs long and then it takes months to come through.

However I know I should just do it.

Top Bottom