• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I went to gencon and now I have the urge to build a table to play axis and allies on. I have played it only once and has been 13 years. However things have changed. Any axis and allies players around that can give thoughts on the current games pacific 1940 and Europe 1940 to play in the global format. Also anybody built a board game table? Would love to see photos if anyone has any.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    You mean like this?
    aa_IMGP7755.jpg

My friends and I meet about twice a month....

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    My daughter played a couple kids games. But that is it.

That table is nice. I am thinking about building one like that or maybe try something stained. After looking at the tables at geek chic I am thinking of building a dual purpose table. Coffee table /game table underneath.

Do you guys play the 1940 version in global is it worth dropping the $170 combined to get Europe and pacific games?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A lil OT, but do you play Fortress America as well? It's made by the same company that put out A&A.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have a friend with the Classic board table and another with the strictly Europe table. I don't personally have a preference as to which version we play, so we play on rotations, basically because we rotate hosting. The tables were all made in a similar fasion, tube aluminum welded together for the frame, and then a piece of plywood with a poster size printout of the board (They do it at CVS!). The bolts in the corners are screwed into the plywood, and covered in lacquer. Its very much all a slipshod job on all of them. Built out of spare parts, most from my buddy picking up spare aluminum in the machine shop. Haha

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    My daughter played a couple kids games. But that is it.

That table is nice. I am thinking about building one like that or maybe try something stained. After looking at the tables at geek chic I am thinking of building a dual purpose table. Coffee table /game table underneath.

Do you guys play the 1940 version in global is it worth dropping the $170 combined to get Europe and pacific games?

It is if you are seriously going to play. If you don't already have a board and a projected group of people to play, I would honestly suggest getting a 30-50 dollar set and making sure that you are willing to play it out, and with the group is in as well.

If you are sure that your group is good to go, and are setting up on a regular basis and such, go for it.

Kutnupe, we do indeed have a FA set, and it does come out once in a while... and once in a very great while the wooden box that contains D&D gear gets dusted off...

This group all started while I was in college. Wednesday night was Movie/Game night. We actually fixed our classes so we could stay up late Wed. nights....:laugh::laugh:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    That is true you do want to make sure it will be played before spending a bunch. It probably will not be played to much as I work a lot but even if it is just a couple times a year it could be fun. But I am thinking of buying the basic for now to play first then try and get a group together. Or I might buy pacific or Europe first. Then I have seen the miniatures and like guadacanl, battle of the bulge I wonder how those play.

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    As the resident hobby shop owner, I feel compelled to put my 2 cents worth in. Man you guys are seriously old school. Fortress America and Shogun haven't been produced for 20-30 years.

The current version of A&A is quite good. Currently available are the complete world (like the older versions), Pacific, and Europe. The Pacific and Europe versions are designed so that you can put them together for a 4x6' world map. I haven't had a chance to play the 2 games put together. But the 50th Anniversary edition (very similar) was quite good.

The Battle of the Bulge version was a 2 player only. But it was an excellent simulation of the actual battle. The Germans have to very quickly over run the Allied fuel points or they don't get to move or attack.

My :twocents:.

Robert

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Very fond undergard memories of Fortress America. I still have a copy with Saddam on the cover (which was re-released in 1996).

It would be a great first wargame. How much is a NIB copy now?

$150.00? Wow.

Who owes it now? Any plans to re-print it?

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    Very fond undergard memories of Fortress America. I still have a copy with Saddam on the cover (which was re-released in 1996).

It would be a great first wargame. How much is a NIB copy now?

$150.00? Wow.

Who owes it now? Any plans to re-print it?

Avalon Hill was the original producer. AH was bought by Wizards of the Coast. WOC was bought by Hasbro. I have not heard of any current plans for a reprint.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I own the HobbyTown USA store in Evansville on Green River Rd. We carry a decent selection of board games but nothing for CCGs. I can order them though.

I was talking about card games more like Fluxx and Munchkin. Magic and the like are no place I should be.

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    Munchkin we normally have in stock. I have carried Fluxx before, but it didn't sell well. We also have Dominion, if you like card games.

Top Bottom