• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I realize noone wants to reveal how much money they have in their guns or how many guns they have on an open forum.
    But, I thought it might be fun to go with just an average to hide the big truths we don't want our wives to know, haha!

Total of average $$ invested in my guns:

- $245
    avg in all air guns (4 pistols & 2 rifles)

- $490 avg in all .22LR guns (revolvers & pistols & rifles)
    $500
    avg in only .22LR revolvers
    $520 avg in only .22LR semi-automatics
    $440 avg in only .22LR rifles only

- $620 avg in all larger calibers (9mm, .357 magnum, 38 special) (non-22LR)
    $585
    avg in only larger revolver calibers (non-22LR)
    $640 avg in only larger semi-automatic calibers (non-22LR)

- $480 avg including all guns (air guns push the average lower)

I'm in the little leagues compared to most here probably are, but I do love my statistics!

83% of my guns came from INGO.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Guns, what guns? I don’t have any guns, I am only here to read the articles
    But seriously I am afraid to do the math.
    Indeed!
    I wish I would have done it from the beginning, but didn't start organizing my data until a few months ago.
    I've got all the guns written down in my yearly ledgers, but I wish I'd entered them in a computer file for easy compilation.
    In less than 5 yrs I went from $200 guns to double, sometimes triple that amount with only 1 rare "over-the-top (for my pay grade, haha!) gun expenditure.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'll play.

My average gun is worth $588. I don't have the breakdown of pistol/rifle/shotgun, and I don't really keep track of what I paid for them. A few I inherited, one was a gift from a late Aunt, the rest I purchased for just about what they are worth.

I don't usually buy a gun that costs more than the average, though I did buy a few last year in the rush to buy stuff that I paid too much for.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Are we just counting the cost of the gun or gun + work done? I have 6 firearms from INGO. But ive got alot of accessories and ammo from here. I dont own alot of guns (imo) but some were pretty pricey units and ive dumped alot into a few.

Guns alone ~$740
    Guns + accessories ~ $1315.

I’m not good with percentages.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I realize noone wants to reveal how much money they have in their guns or how many guns they have on an open forum.
    But, I thought it might be fun to go with just an average to hide the big truths we don't want our wives to know, haha!

Total of average $$ invested in my guns:

- $245
    avg in all air guns (4 pistols & 2 rifles)

- $490 avg in all .22LR guns (revolvers & pistols & rifles)
    $500
    avg in only .22LR revolvers
    $520 avg in only .22LR semi-automatics
    $440 avg in only .22LR rifles only

- $620 avg in all larger calibers (9mm, .357 magnum, 38 special) (non-22LR)
    $585
    avg in only larger revolver calibers (non-22LR)
    $640 avg in only larger semi-automatic calibers (non-22LR)

- $480 avg including all guns (air guns push the average lower)

I'm in the little leagues compared to most here probably are, but I do love my statistics!

83% of my guns came from INGO.
    I think someone is on a fishing expedition here, look dear wife you thought i was bad, but these guys have a lot more in guns than i do, maybe i need a couple more:naughty:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Of the few guns I bought from the INGO classifieds the average comes out to $556. Lowest being $300 and highest $900. One gun I bought for $650 I sold later on consignment and got $918.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are we just counting the cost of the gun or gun + work done? I have 6 firearms from INGO. But ive got alot of accessories and ammo from here. I dont own alot of guns (imo) but some were pretty pricey units and ive dumped alot into a few.

Guns alone ~$740
    Guns + accessories ~ $1315.

I’m not good with percentages.
    I only have one gun that I included upgrades, a CZ Shadow 2.
    On it I have spent about $500 on it.
    But, I don't usually upgrade a gun anyway, not counting grips & holsters & most optics.
    I don't usually sell a gun with an optic, unless of course, it came with one, usually a rifle.
    Only have had 5 handguns that came with either a scope or a red dot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been buying guns off and on for over 20 years. I have no flipping idea what the vast majority of them cost. Without pulling up my list of s/n's, I can't even tell you how many I have other than "about two less then I'd like to have."
    I had a 91 year old member call me just today & was telling me about a gun he wanted in the classifieds.
    I asked him why he was going to buy it & if it was going to be a bedroom drawer gun.
    He paused and said, "Do I need a reason?"
    I laughed & laughed b/c I thought he spoke all of us who fall prey to buying a gun just because it was there! haha!

Last edited:

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I have a few, paid to much, and none from INGO.
    Every time I find one here that I want, I am to broke to do anything about it.
    Someday but not today.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Little bored tonight doddg?
    :lmfao:
    I think someone is on a fishing expedition here, look dear wife you thought i was bad, but these guys have a lot more in guns than i do, maybe i need a couple more:naughty:
    Believe me, I already tell the wife I am not as bad as "most guys," and she knows I "mostly" do my hobby "on a budget" (in my mind not hers, haha!).
    But, she sees the monthly grips or holster or optic or tools that come through on the credit card.
    Ammo used to be in that mix, but I haven't bought but a smidgeon since Covid, fortunately living off the fat.

I even switched to shooting an air rifle & air pistols just to reduce range costs; I'm down to going only twice per week now.

I sold off all but 2 of my range guns in a higher caliber than .22LR, but 1 is justified as a CC, a sweet CZ Rami all liquored up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Guns?..............pfffft!
    Ammo is where I've committed grand poverty.
    You speak for all of us! :thumbsup:
    My wife has learned that it is not the price of a gun that counts, since I buy well enough to sell for the same generally.
    She knows it's the ancillary expenses that add up that you can't recover:
    - range
    - ammo
    - optics
    - holsters
    - grips
    - tools
    I have kept records of these things but in 2021 I cut expenditures back 1/3 from 2020.
    I waited & bought 3 holsters in January of 2022 b/c I was trying to cut my 2021 expenses, haha! :ugh:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a few, paid to much, and none from INGO.
    Every time I find one here that I want, I am to broke to do anything about it.
    Someday but not today.
    I openly laughed at that! :lmfao:
    I have a friend that is always selling something he sees here to buy something.
    He is one of the few people I know on INGO who has less guns than "thrifty" me, haha! :spend:
    I was totally out of money in the safe & had to go fetch money from the bank a week ago.
    I'm waiting for the wife to ask me about it. :dunno:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Of the few guns I bought from the INGO classifieds the average comes out to $556. Lowest being $300 and highest $900. One gun I bought for $650 I sold later on consignment and got $918.

The consignment was awesome!
    I imagine alot of guys sold a gun or two that were just sitting in the safe when prices were peaked.
    I had a friend try to sell 3 of my guns on another site when I had surgery.
    I tried to ride the wave, but it didn't work. :dunno:

Top Bottom