• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Our Quality Manager was let go after the Company I work for was sold to an Investment Firm. He did all of my PPAP's and made my life easy, but now it has fallen in my lap, and I have no idea how to do this. These are all level 3 PPAP's that I have to do, so the legwork has been done. I know we also have a user ID and password to the site to register the PPAP and IMDS and PSW. I only have to do this for one Customer and it is the same material on each one.

So, I'm asking is there anyone around the Indianapolis area that can teach me how to do these? I'd be grateful. Dinner, or a dinner card for you and your spouse would be available.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Sorry, no help here. As a CMM programmer, I measure PPAP's. I have to review the PSW and verify the measurement method, but beyond that I'm no good. Good luck.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And I have no idea what CMM or PSW are either. IHATNPDK (I Hate Acronyms That Normal People Don't Know)
    A CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine and very expensive) is a measuring device that makes sure the parts are correct size for the FAI ( first article of inspection). If anyone knows a QC Manager in Automotive and can hook me up, I' appreciate it. I'm just a Sales Rep and this has just been dumped on me!

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine and very expensive) is a measuring device that makes sure the parts are correct size for the FIA ( first article of inspection). If anyone knows a QC Manager in Automotive and can hook me up, I' appreciate it. I'm just a Sales Rep and this has just been dumped on me!
    I worked for Allison briefly ('78 - '79) and part of my time was in Production Processes (I think!). If something was failing in test, our department was in charge of tracing the problem down in the assembly process to where it was happening. Now I understand! I can't help, but best of luck in your search!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Man, I don’t envy the position you’ve been placed. You might pull the old files of your predecessor and mimic/reverse engineer what s/he did.

I never had to perform thsee things myself but I worked with process engineers that did. Most of the time, in our business, the PPAPs were done when die modifications were made or a new part was being launched. You might have enough info there to get you started.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine and very expensive) is a measuring device that makes sure the parts are correct size for the FAI ( first article of inspection). If anyone knows a QC Manager in Automotive and can hook me up, I' appreciate it. I'm just a Sales Rep and this has just been dumped on me!

Sorry, you also mentioned the PSW. It's Part Submission Warrant. It's what gets the PPAP started on the site.

nmeyers11007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2021
    Our Quality Manager was let go after the Company I work for was sold to an Investment Firm. He did all of my PPAP's and made my life easy, but now it has fallen in my lap, and I have no idea how to do this. These are all level 3 PPAP's that I have to do, so the legwork has been done. I know we also have a user ID and password to the site to register the PPAP and IMDS and PSW. I only have to do this for one Customer and it is the same material on each one.

So, I'm asking is there anyone around the Indianapolis area that can teach me how to do these? I'd be grateful. Dinner, or a dinner card for you and your spouse would be available.
    Your company should have previous PPAP documents filed for current active parts in production. I would start there. Find those and use them for reference on how to fill out the documents on the PPAP you have to do. I have never done on because we have a quality engineer assigned to it. I do know it is mostly recording dimensionals to all print call outs and the rest just documenting known data, material specs, material certs, paint specs, etc.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Your company should have previous PPAP documents filed for current active parts in production. I would start there. Find those and use them for reference on how to fill out the documents on the PPAP you have to do. I have never done on because we have a quality engineer assigned to it. I do know it is mostly recording dimensionals to all print call outs and the rest just documenting known data, material specs, material certs, paint specs, etc.
    If they have copies. Often, when the customer is having the FAI's submitted online to their proprietary portal, all the data is in that customer system and needs to be retrieved, if the QA person didn't print copies (or store them where they can be found). Documents are usually easy, but having someone who knows how to work that particular customer system is usually the critical variable. With some customer systems, once the package is approved, the file is locked, and the only document which can be easily retrieved is the signed PSW (probably one page out of 50). It depends how much the customer wants to help you. Most companies have "competitors," and finding out you fired your QA person doesn't usually elevate you in the customer's mind.

Your go-to person would normally be the person who measured the parts on previous submissions, as they should be able to get up to speed on collecting the rest of the documentation. But it sounds like there may not be much of a quality department outside of the person who got fired, in this case.

When a company saves money by firing their QA people, submitting PPAPs is an immediate burning platform, but paperwork usually ends up being the least of their problems. Who's spent days in the cage with an Auditor before? Who's making sure product going out the door is good?

(Checked the price on pre-Remington Marlins lately?)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom