• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Yes, I really did find this in my attic.

From what I can tell, this one was made sometime between 1935-1937.
    It was covered in rust, so I disassembled it and lightly cleaned it with oil and 0000 steel wool.
    Much of the blueing is gone, but I love the way it looks. Lots of character.
    I only wish I would have taken some "before" photos.

123p89z.jpg

oibxnd.jpg

14qtqs.jpg

wrfko9.jpg

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Looks really nice. Congrats on the find. Where do you think it came from- parents, grandparents, former residents of the house?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had one of those as a kid 40 years ago. My Dad would remove the bolt when me and the other guys were playing Army and that was my imaginary M1.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I also have one, inherited from my father-in-law a couple of years ago. It also had a little rust on it. I cleaned it up as best I could but haven't shot it. No serial numbers on those as I recall.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I made one of the best shots of my life with one of those. It belonged to my brothers friend and was very accurate.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Great rifle! I have one that my Father bought in about 1948, when he enrolled me in my first NRA marksmanship program. It still sits in my gun safe and outside of a periodic cleaning, doesn't see the light of day. I would guess it has not been fired in 40 or 50 years.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Looks really nice. Congrats on the find. Where do you think it came from- parents, grandparents, former residents of the house?

I moved in with my girlfriend last year, and when I was putting some of my junk into the attic I noticed a pile of old stuff in one corner. She was widowed 12 years ago, and these things belonged to her husband's father.
    She never went through the pile, so I decided to take a look. There was another rifle there, too. A Marlin / Glenfield 75 that is in horrible shape. Not as cool as the Winchester, but I might clean it up someday.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I had one of those as a kid 40 years ago. My Dad would remove the bolt when me and the other guys were playing Army and that was my imaginary M1.
    Oh geeze, get ready for a flame war. Topics similar to this have been discussed on INGO before, and the safety Nazi's insist that even in a completely inoperable condition (such as with the bolt removed), your firearm was still very dangerous and should never be pointed at anybody.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    That was a lucky day for you. I'm glad you found it, and in time to save it.
    What condition is the bore in? Hopefully it had enough wax/lube in it to protect it.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The bore is suprisingly clean, and the crown is perfect.
    Looks a lot better than my Mosin Nagant!

You're in business then.
    I love pre-war .22RF rifles, well most anything pre-war actually.

Myself I would probably consider reblueing it, then talk myself out of it and just leave it be.

I have one model 67 and it is a good shooter.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Myself I would probably consider reblueing it, then talk myself out of it and just leave it be.

That is exactly what happened! :):
    I thought I might try out the Birchwood Casey cold reblueing kit, but then i decided that i really like the way it looks now. Since I found it in the attic, I don't want it to look brand new.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I've got one too! I overpaid for mine, and the chrome is starting to come off the bolt, but it's got a couple dozen tree rats to its credit!
    There is supposed to be Chrome on the Bolt...

Huh...

Next thing your going to try and tell me is that the rifling is supposed to go all the way through the barrel...

Top Bottom