• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Has anyone here had any experience with them? I did look at mostly favorable reviews on Amazon, but I think those reviews could be skewed or shill responses. I would tend to appreciate reviews from here more. I am not looking at the very high end, which I can not afford. I am looking at the near lower end. Around $1,500 or less. They come with three year warrantee. Reviews say I can identify small game and yotes to 210 yards, which is farther than my current capability with my .223. Some say the set-up and understanding of the operation takes a little time but well worth it, and good results. Others say they couldn't do the above, so they sent it back. The ones being sent back, as well as trade show units and re-conditioned sell for several hundred less with the same warranty. That may be in the cards for me. I don't need pretty. It will be a tool, like a wheel barrow.

Maybe no one knows of them. No biggie. I'm just looking right now.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Give it a minute to simmer. There are a lot of members that have a variety of night vision equipment and over the course of a week or so you will get lots of views and opinions.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have not tried hunting with mine.
    Some things I learned:
    1. Yes, they do work. Picked up a fox in the undergrowth last fall in the daytime. Watched it move in the scope where I couldn't see anything with the eye.
    2. They eat batteries. Majorly.
    3. The recalibration every time you turn it on is annoying.

Got mine for about half price during a sale at Sportsman's Guide before I gave up on them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A warranty is only as good as the company behind them. I had issues with one years ago (had a 1 year warranty), couldn't get anyone on the phone, emailed them god knows how many times, they finally responded 6 months later stating my warranty had ran out 1 month ago.

I wouldnt take an ATN product if it were given to me. People have tried to trade them in, and I offer 5 bucks. When someone says "it will cost me more than that to ship it to you", I say "your trash can is easier to use than mine"

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    ATN is great at one thing. Advertising. Anything else, and they are garbage. If you look around, you will notice that very few dealers specializing in thermals refuse to sell them. There is a reason for that.

My advice is...

With your budget, get a Sightmark Wraith. No, it's not thermal, but it's better than any ATN product.

If you want to look at thermal, the cheapest I recommend is the Bering optics Hogster-r 25mm. It's a little over $2,000. With a native magnification of 1.4x, it will get the job done. The next step up is the Bering optics Hogster-r 35mm. Closer to $2,500, it has a native magnification of 2x. Finally, the Bering Optics Super Hogster. It's over $3,000, but it has a native magnification of 2.9x. I own the Hogster-r 35mm and the Super Hogster. I've been very happy with both models. Bering optics has a four year warranty, and their customer service is outstanding.

If you're interested, I know a dealer that I would recommend.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Also, if you're interested, I would be happy to let you take a look through my thermal scopes. I know what it's like to buy without having any experience.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ATN is great at one thing. Advertising. Anything else, and they are garbage. If you look around, you will notice that very few dealers specializing in thermals refuse to sell them. There is a reason for that.

My advice is...

With your budget, get a Sightmark Wraith. No, it's not thermal, but it's better than any ATN product.

If you want to look at thermal, the cheapest I recommend is the Bering optics Hogster-r 25mm. It's a little over $2,000. With a native magnification of 1.4x, it will get the job done. The next step up is the Bering optics Hogster-r 35mm. Closer to $2,500, it has a native magnification of 2x. Finally, the Bering Optics Super Hogster. It's over $3,000, but it has a native magnification of 2.9x. I own the Hogster-r 35mm and the Super Hogster. I've been very happy with both models. Bering optics has a four year warranty, and their customer service is outstanding.

If you're interested, I know a dealer that I would recommend.

There marketing department is top notch. They have tricked me 3 times in the last 15 years. Last time was a few years ago, and I think I finally learned my lesson.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I second what Rookie said.
    Also, if you closer to me I will extend the same offer to look through a Super Hogster.
    I just got mine mounted over the weekend. I don't have any real experience with it. But I was looking at bedded deer this morning at 300 yards. So far I am impressed.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I second what Rookie said.
    Also, if you closer to me I will extend the same offer to look through a Super Hogster.
    I just got mine mounted over the weekend. I don't have any real experience with it. But I was looking at bedded deer this morning at 300 yards. So far I am impressed.

Same offer on the east side of the state

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Hey guys, thanks for the offers. I heard what I needed to hear, and I figured I would hear it here. I may PM one of you and take you up on your offer. I am very interested in one, and I know very little. Thank you!

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I have a refurbished unit that’s going back, if it worked reliably it would be worth the cost.
    I really wanted thermal and should have saved a little longer for it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a refurbished unit that’s going back, if it worked reliably it would be worth the cost.
    I really wanted thermal and should have saved a little longer for it.
    Thats pretty common. Bottom line, is if you want a thermal to look cool to your buddies, ATN is your answer. If you want a thermal to actually use, ATN is the last answer.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    If you want to look at thermal, the cheapest I recommend is the Bering optics Hogster-r 25mm. It's a little over $2,000.
    That would be my advice as well. Save up around $500 more than your current budget and be happy. I've read too many ATN horror stories to buy one.

I am the owner of a Pulsar Thermion XP50 thermal riflescope.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I am really liking what I see of the Super Hogster. I haven't seen all the reviews yet. As a matter of fact, I kinda fell hard after the only review I've seen. I never ever impulse buy though. Learnt that lesson after buying a brand new truck in a hurry in '86. I will do a little more research.

The wife says she is not buying it for me for my birthday. I'm gonna either do a bathroom remodel, after I get my two houses done, in trade, or.....go thru the gun safe and thin out the inventory. I'm 55. I have hand guns and long guns I haven't taken for a walk in years.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sounds like a good plan! Fewer guns that get used more > more guns that get used less.

Also I went with a Hogster-R, and now all my buddies have one as well. They see plenty of use and have been great!

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm one of the guys ROSCOTT is talking about. Our group is running 4 of the R 35's. They aren't the super high end scopes with built in rangefinders, but they work very well and have proven effective on yotes.

Top Bottom