• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just find it curious that certain people can claim that they are for our right to be a Christian, but then spend paragraphs trashing Christians.

If we are really all for each other's right to believe or not, then why all the trash talk?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I just find it curious that certain people can claim that they are for our right to be a Christian, but then spend paragraphs trashing Christians.

If we are really all for each other's right to believe or not, then why all the trash talk?

i think the reason for this is because people like that have had very negative experiences with "Christians." from my own personal experience, i can say i dont care much for the Campus Crusade For Christ. While I attended Butler, these people would harass Jews and homosexuals, that is knocking on only their dorm doors in an attempt to "convert" them. i remember one day, they told me i was going to hell immediately after i made the mistake of telling them i was catholic.

people are colored by their experiences. i think most non-religious folk are ok with people having religion; they just dont want it in their face. as i noted earlier, the people who scream the loudest on either side are not really representative of the bell curve, but they provide the ammo for each other. ymmv

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Y'know... it seems to me that anyone and everyone has the right to his/her own religion or lack thereof. What s/he does not have the right to do is to force anyone else to accept, share, or even listen to beliefs which are not their own.

Years ago, there was a bumper sticker (that font of wisdom!) with a couple of schoolbooks and an apple, with the caption, "Kids need to pray!" and while I personally would agree, I would add either of two sets of two words to that sentiment: "...at home." or "...in church." When biology, history, math, and English are required subjects taught in church services, we can address religious topics being taught in schools.

They're two different places, focusing on different parts of life. I think both are equally necessary, but there is a time and a place for everything.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    As always, Bill, a well thought out and considered view point.

I think that the great majority of people just want to be allowed to believe what they believe and feel what they feel. There is no absolute on any side, no one person is "righter" than the other. We all have biases based on our experience but need to work to keep them from influencing our ability to accept belief systems that are different than our own.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    One thing I don't get, they sue to get their message out. But sue to get christian memorials taken down.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rans_memorial_in_california-3.html#post505979

Or a few years back(well maybe more than a few) when they threatened to sue the town of highland for the cross veterans memorial at wicker park. IIRC The town didn't even bother to fight. Or the times they have sued for the 10 commandments to be taken down from courthouses.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    One thing I don't get, they sue to get their message out. But sue to get christian memorials taken down.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rans_memorial_in_california-3.html#post505979

Or a few years back(well maybe more than a few) when they threatened to sue the town of highland for the cross veterans memorial at wicker park. IIRC The town didn't even bother to fight. Or the times they have sued for the 10 commandments to be taken down from courthouses.

:+1:
    That is exactly my point.

We have lawsuits against teachers and schools just for teaching about Christianity in the historical context. But in contrast we have an atheist European history teacher at California's Capistrano Valley High School telling his class: Christians are more likely than other people to commit rape and murder and “What country has the highest murder rate? The South! What part of the country has the highest rape rate? The South! What part of the country has the highest rate of church attendance? The South!”. Then is surprised when he gets sued? (it is Cali so of course the student lost, and the teacher's "1st amendment right" to bash religion was upheld.) So you can't teach religion in school, UNLESS you bash it in doing so?

Then we have the city of Las Cruces NM being sued to have crosses removed from it's flag. Uhm, Las Cruces just happens to mean "The Crosses", but apparently a Jewish person was "offended" by the crosses on the flag. He lost, thank goodness.

It just seems such a double standard from my point of view. If atheists want to have billboards, great, I believe in the 1st Amendment, have at it. BUT stop being hypocritical and turning around and suing over Christians advertisements, etc.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    You know, I think the bulk of unbeliever's are the kind of people who don't sue. There is a small vocal minority that is going to be offended about anything and everything they don't like and I am not just talking about atheists here. I don't find prayer to be offensive, if it happens when I am around I sit quietly until it is over. I am not offended by crosses or any other religious symbol. I really believe that there is less of a gap between the believers and non-believers than most would think. I just believe in one less god than you do.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Didn't read the last how ever many pages there are, but I see where this is going.

And I am probably throwing myself under a bus here ( hopefully not the atheist bus), but in my oppinion BOTH atheists and Christians are hypocrites (This coming from a Christian). I don't agree with Atheist beliefs just as they don't agree with mine. Christians tend to push their beliefs as do Atheists.

Do I want MY child to believe (or lack there of) as an atheist? NO.
    Do Atheists want their children to believe as Christians? Doubtful.

I'm not saying I agree with the Murals, But Atheists don't agree with the Christian Murals either. Freedom....of speach, choice, religion. It's that simple.
    If you don't like it...turn away from it, just like Christians tell Atheists to do when they see a Christian mural.

If I am teaching my daughter what I find to be truthful, I am doing the best I can. If I'm teaching the word of god, the bible, morals, right and wrong...I believe she will not "see" those murals as true.
    . All I can do is tell her my beliefs, show her "who" Jesus is (to me), and when she is older let her make her own judgments.
    Her choice is just that...her choice. I hope she follows my path, but you never know. BUT I don't think these stupid Atheist murals are going to affect her outlook/beleifs.

RM

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Rachel, as far as I know there isn't an "atheist bus" but that did make me laugh. You are doing what you think is right and that is all any of us can do. That and allow each other to have their beliefs. My daughter and grandchildren were exposed to all kinds of religion and are allowed their belief or lack of it. To me it isn't something that can be forced or coerced. Sounds like you agree with letting people make up their own minds.

I didn't get up one morning and decide that I was going to be an atheist just to irritate people. I grew up in a christian home but always questioned peoples faith. Because of that I studied and it took me many years and a lot of experience to be able to finally reach a decision on what I thought. I must say that I never had anyone who who was an atheist try to convert me. Like I said earlier I think those ads are simply to show that we are not a bunch of evil people and that we do care about how we interact in the world.

All we can do is be the best parents and people we can be and let it go at that. Part of that is not running over anyone with any bus!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    You know, I think the bulk of unbeliever's are the kind of people who don't sue. There is a small vocal minority that is going to be offended about anything and everything they don't like and I am not just talking about atheists here. I don't find prayer to be offensive, if it happens when I am around I sit quietly until it is over. I am not offended by crosses or any other religious symbol. I really believe that there is less of a gap between the believers and non-believers than most would think. I just believe in one less god than you do.

:+1:...I must say that troubles me deeply when either side bad mouths or labels one another and doesn't consider that a person with a particular belief is an individual and does not fit perfectly under the realm of a generalization. I may be Atheist, but I certainly don't fall into the crowd of what a faith based individual may think of an Atheist.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom