• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Ok, So I visited Indyvets shop and bought a cheap little knife and when I got home I realized it was spring loaded. Yeah its a pretty neal lil guy but the quallity sucks. But for 13$ what would you expect? :dunno:

But after playing with this thing I really want a good one.
    Would this be legal to order? Is it concidered an automatica knife?
    I did just buy a cheap one at a gun shop.

I would say this does not apply because there is no button and no opening device at all on the handle. (the thumb opening thing is on the blade not the handle)

Indiana - 35-47-5-2. Knife with automatically opening blade
    prohibited. -- It is a class B misdemeanor for a person to
    manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give
    away, or purchase any knife with a blade that opens
    automatically by hand pressure applied to a button,
    spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

Who makes a better knife? SOG or S&W?
    here are knives im looking at.
    Smith & Wesson MP Series Three Spring Assist Knife

SOG TWITCH XL Black Spring Assisted Knife - SOG Spring Assist by Knives4Wholesale

Savannah Spy&

Smith & Wesson MP Series One Spring Assist Knife

Im open to suggestions here?

Could I order one of these carry it and be within the confines of indiana law?
    Look hard at a Kershaw Ken Onion Blackout.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Is it for utility or self-defense. If it is for utility I would advise an AL MAR SERE 2000, out of the box they fire faster than an auto much less and assisted.

For self-defense we advise against any assisted openers for a few reasons. The first that if the deployed of the blade is impeded for some reason or the opening mechanism fails you need to use your thumb to open it all the way. So that begs the question why not just do that anyway. They also don't have trainers, and if you are using a knife with SD in mind and don't have a trainer for it then don't expect to be able to deploy it under stress YMMV- George

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like SOG's and I used to like Gerbers, but I'm not big on them much anymore. You might Check out Cold Steel. They make great stuff.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I love my Blur. Last night my Fiance stole it out of my pocket and sliced our tomatoes with it (my little walmart special kitchen knife just squishes them).

I doubt you could go wrong with one of the Kershaw models considering their price point. They are an excellent value for the money and offer enough different styles to suit most peoples', or turtles', tastes.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm gonna leave that alone other then to tell you you might wanna not put "make", "great" and "cold steel" in the same sentence if you want to remain factual.
    I read a post in regards to cs in another thread. I can't speak to their business practices or model, but I can tell you what I bought has been a very good knife for me personally. I have been happy with it for 17 years now. Apperantly that is not the consensus here, so I will leave it at that.;)

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Best cheap assisted open I've delt with (which i keep as a spare to my Benchmade Auto Stryker, in my assault pack) is the SOG Trident.

I also just squired a Benchmade Infidel OTF for the people interested in them. They are bad ***. They retract and extend with the flick of a switch, great quality, blade is steady. I made a post with a link in this forum a few min ago.

deranged222

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Regarding the OTF knives....

For the poster interested in the OTF knives, check out Microtech knives. As another poster mentioned, many of the OTF knives on the market are made cheaply. The microtechs are very well made. A bit pricey, but honestly they are the best made OTFs I have found. For many years I collected auto knives and have had to sell off the collection a few years ago. The only auto I kept was the Microtech UTX70, which I still use for EDC.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    For the poster interested in the OTF knives, check out Microtech knives. As another poster mentioned, many of the OTF knives on the market are made cheaply. The microtechs are very well made. A bit pricey, but honestly they are the best made OTFs I have found. For many years I collected auto knives and have had to sell off the collection a few years ago. The only auto I kept was the Microtech UTX70, which I still use for EDC.

you do realize autos ARE illegal in Indiana right?

deranged222

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Shelbyville
    State versus Federal....

I stand corrected. I was referring to the Federal law that exempts law enforcement officers, military members engaged in official duty, and people who are missing a hand.

I do not want to mislead here, so admins feel free to remove my previous post if needed.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I stand corrected. I was referring to the Federal law that exempts law enforcement officers, military members engaged in official duty, and people who are missing a hand.

FYI There isn't a federal law against personal possession of automatic knives.

Scutter is correct that no one in Indiana (off of a military base) can carry an automatic knife. This includes LEOs.

Yet another law we need repealed.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    yeah i bought a Thunder out the front automatic knife from Bladeplay.com. It was a cool knife to show off to your friends but they are illegal here in Indiana. They spring also wears out pretty quick, you can buy a replacement but it cost about $10. It was basically a knock off Microtech. Cool but not very practical.

Top Bottom