• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Yesterday I went to Martins on Ironwood across the street from IUSB to pick up some groceries for dinner. I was OC my Glock, and was walking getting my items and i was about to head to the cash register when....

A man whom i thought was a off duty leo ( he was in shorts and a baseball cap) flashed his badge and asked me if i was a police officer, i informed him i was not and said i was just an armed civilian and i had my LTCH. He told me to cover my gun up or leave because nobody wants to see that thing. I told him I have carried a ton of times in this store before and never had a problem, he replied with well would you like to start a problem. I said No and said ill never shop at martins again and left. Rookie mistake i should have gotten his name badge number and dept and went to the manager.
    The whole time the guy was a complete ass, very stern, and extremely cocky.

I left quite pissed off having to drive all the way to krogers where i got only hamburger meat for dinner that night.

I called Martins manager whom was a total sweetheart and explained to her what happened and she told me she would look up Martins gun policy and call me back.

A short while later she called me back and told me that Martins allows guns but its a family business and if their are complaints they ask you to cover it up or leave, which I had two mothers complain so they sent their security guard and gave me the two options. I was just shopping normal, not waving my gun around. I dont look like a criminal but oh well people are stupid

I told her how much of an inconvience it was, their loss of profit (30 dollars is still 30 dollars on the books), the loss of business to a competitor, and my inconveince it caused. She said she would look at it. +1 for a caring manager about her customers.

All in all it was my first bad encounter, I kept my cool, got quite scared when he approached me (thinking he was a LEO), but ill continue to shop at Martins.

Just thought I would share my encounter.

Thanks for reading a quite long post. :rockwoot:

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    Do you think if it was an off-duty LEO he would have handled it better? I guess it's probably a crap shoot, depends on the person.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    I always shop at that martins and have never been approached when I OC....but thanks for the story...I'll know what to expect should I get approached by that guy.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Rent-a-cops are always puffing their chest out and trying to act like they are bad to the bone. You must've ran into the guy who was at the end of his shift about to go back to live in his mother's basement and play COD all night.

I hope you convey to them how long that you've shopped there and that you will no longer be shopping there. And that you'd tell all of your CC buddies that safely shop there(might turn on a lightbulb for the lady) but are unaware of their policies.

I've been putting dried onion flakes in my burger meat whenever I make burgers or meatloaf. It adds a nice flavor and I seems to keep more juice in the meat(soaks up juice while cooking). Or just put bacon on it, that makes anything taste better.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    A security guard flashing a badge sounds like intimidation and pretending to be LEO. Might want to file a complaint at local LEO place(s)

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    A security guard flashing a badge sounds like intimidation and pretending to be LEO. Might want to file a complaint at local LEO place(s)

He could have been LP, in which case street clothes and a badge flash are SOP. Nothing illegal about it if you are working. If I were OP, I'd go back to the store with the same clothes and carry rig. If the guy approaches ask him if he's a LP officer or LEO, if he's not a cop, or doesn't identify, just tell him the same "maybe" or "none of your business".

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I hope you convey to them how long that you've shopped there and that you will no longer be shopping there. And that you'd tell all of your CC buddies that safely shop there(might turn on a lightbulb for the lady) but are unaware of their policies.

You missed the part where he said he's going to continue to shop there. I have no idea WHY he'll continue to shop there, but that's a different rant. Personally, I can't imagine continuing to shop there after this incident, but I'm a ****.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Kroger in Plymouth uses off duty LEO as security at their store. Maybe Martins does the same? Just because he was working security at their store doesn't mean he wasn't LEO.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I'll still continue to.shop is its next door.to.my house and its just convience to.shop there but it this continues to happen ill take my business esle where.

He was just a Dick and could have handled it much better.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    It better be one tasty burger for $30.00. Next time I would just CC. I don't see the point of geting into a peeing match with a security guard who's chomping at the bit to show his authority. The last time
    I was open carrying I was held at gun point by three officers while being disarmed by a fourth. All I was doing was using an ATM at 9the o'clock at night.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'll still continue to.shop is its next door.to.my house and its just convience to.shop there but it this continues to happen ill take my business esle where.

He was just a Dick and could have handled it much better.
    Surely you pass another grocery store on your way to work or while out and about every week.

With planning, principles can be practiced :twocents:

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    It better be one tasty burger for $30.00. Next time I would just CC. I don't see the point of geting into a peeing match with a security guard who's chomping at the bit to show his authority. The last time
    I was open carrying I was held at gun point by three officers while being disarmed by a fourth. All I was doing was using an ATM at 9the o'clock at night.

Actually it was a bunch of other things.

Held at gun point that's crazy!!!

But I really hope this doesn't happen again.

Top Bottom