As much fun as a PCC is to shoot, trying to figure out where it fits in.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Range Toy eh? My wife doesn't care for the 5.56 / .223 platform for SHTF so I got her a Draco NAK9. It uses 33 round Glock mags of 9mm and she has 7 mags. Small, compact and accurate. Range Toy when she wants to plink with it and SHTF tool for her if needed. I also have the ugly Hi-Point Carbine which is more of a PCC carbine for a backup SHTF gun.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    1. Like others said, same mags as your handgun.

2. Truck gun.

3. For short range self defense, a pistol caliber bullet is wider than, for example, 5.56, so a wider impact (especially if using HP) might be better than a narrower rifle bullet. But I’m not a ballistics expert so I could be wrong.

4. Less felt recoil can mean quicker follow up shots.

I tend to think I a rifle projectile is better for long range accuracy, while a PC bullet will be accurate out of a carbine in shorter distances so that may be better in such an environment. But again, I’m no expert.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No internet gun forum can have a PCC thread without the haters.

Hey, I love my CX4, but if I need to shoot something with a pulse it's staying home. That's just how it is. There's a reason nobody who shoots people for a living does it with PCCs anymore except in extreme niche circumstances.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    An AR pistol in 9mm with a red dot and weapon light reside next to our bed. In a home defense situation, 9mm will be very effective but with far less muzzle blast and concussion than .223/5.56.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Some people are put off by the weight of the Ruger PC Carbine 9mm. However, weight usually tames recoil and gives you faster follow up shots.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    They're really handy for pest control if you don't want to spend money for a silencer but don't want to make a ton of racket.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I don’t think anyone facing the business end of a pistol caliber carbine being used in a defensive situation would consider it a range toy...

Exactly , and most shooters will be far more accurate with pistol carbine than a handgun.

An AR pistol in 9mm with a red dot and weapon light reside next to our bed. In a home defense situation, 9mm will be very effective but with far less muzzle blast and concussion than .223/5.56.

Yeah the Earth shattering concussion and muzzle blast of a short barrel AR .223/5.56 is not what I would want to shoot indoors.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I like that it is used in USPSA and other comps, allows you to get in some shooting under stress in different situations, that can later be used on your real rifles. Sure there are other uses, otherwise soldiers wouldn't use subguns and pdws rather than just a pistol. I don't own one though, maybe some day.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Advantages of a PCC:
    #1 A PCC platform is easier to use and learn on for most people compared to handgun. In my mind, it makes sense to step up to this from a Ruger 10/22 when teaching new shooters due to it being less "intimidating" than say an AR15.

#2 Gun control. Should gun control laws ever pass, PCCs would be harder write out of existence than AR15s.

#3 9mm is affordable compared to most other calibers yet has enough power to be a good defensive option.

#4 PCCs are compact and easier to handle compared to an M1A or bolt action rifle.

#5 Simplicity. In terms of civil unrest, if you could only have 2-3 weapons, what would you choose? A handgun, rifle, or shotgun requiring three different types of magazines and ammunition? Or, a handgun and a PCC requiring one type of magazine and ammunition?

TolusD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Dream World
    I can't comprehend the absurd tactical argument that PCCs have no real combat value. I know our schools aren't great, but does anyone else remember World War 2 or even Vietnam? How about the Swiss submachine gun that the U.S. Army bought a ton of just last year?

If there's no real use for PCCs, why have world's military forces consistently employed them, quite effectively by the way, for almost as long as repeating firearms have existed?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I can't comprehend the absurd tactical argument that PCCs have no real combat value. I know our schools aren't great, but does anyone else remember World War 2 or even Vietnam? How about the Swiss submachine gun that the U.S. Army bought a ton of just last year?

If there's no real use for PCCs, why have world's military forces consistently employed them, quite effectively by the way, for almost as long as repeating firearms have existed?

I'd say the practicality of a PCC goes up exponentially with automatic fire and a very short barrel.

After a fair deal of experience running a mac11 with a stock, that'd beat the pants off most other options out there for a compact and packable defensive firearm. Better than a shotgun or a rifle if it's strictly for defense at fairly short range. (And you know what you're doing with it)

As a semi-auto with a 16" barrel, all of their advantages are lost, except for noise. I'd also say any blowback operated carbine has significantly harsher recoil than a 5.56 rifle, so the controllability argument seems dubious to me.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Although the always-articulate Colion Noir repeatedly refers to the Ruger PC Charger (a pistol) as a “pistol caliber carbine) in this video, he does address the fundamental question posed in this thread at the 8:00 mark:[video=youtube_share;VxJdRTkJGUE]http://youtu.be/VxJdRTkJGUE[/video]

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

I am not sure who said PCC are not a good combat tool. They offer a better CQC application than a full size rifle. With limitations They have many advantages over a full size rifle. However. they would be my last choice for home defense or street carry is all I am saying. Other than special purpose or range fun...ehhhh.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I sold both of mine.
    Yes they are a hoot to run. Accurate and steel punishing little fart guns. But in the overall in my organizing they just did not fit in. No knock on any of you that see them as viable. In your mind they are and no argument to be made. I see the 9mm as a round CKW (spouse) can handle easily but just not front line in my mind. She has suffered terribly from medical issues and even the 9mm based AR carbine was a bit heavy for her. So they found new homes. She has 2 CZ's in 9mm for HD and EDC and I am staying with my calibers of choice.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I realize that that PCC does not necessarily mean braced pistol, but since we are on page 4 I will deviate slightly here.

So an MPX with a thirty round mag doesn't suffice for home defense?

I edited a lot of my own poop flinging here, but I guess gun folks like to discuss and debate...and fling poop at each other.

PCC, lots of rounds on target, most have 30+ round magazines available.

A 9mm to the chest is certain to spoil anybody's day and apt to change plans. If that isn't enough put-down power we can debate it all the way up to 50BMG. How much is enough? I do NOT fall into the being interested in firing off 5.56 in the house group. Especially if it is with a 10" or shorter barrel.

PCCs are not battlefield implements. Can someone train with one sufficiently to use it to defend yourself? Sure.

It will not break my heart to leave my PCC at home if I am called upon to fight invaders, foreign or outer space. I will take an AR. 5.56 for standard commonality, as everybody should.

To the OP. PCCs are good for practicing with cost in mind. PCCs still teach the important disciplines of firearm handling. PCCs are more accurate than pistols.

The only unanswered question is, What caliber should it be in? :):

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    The only unanswered question is, What caliber should it be in? :):

The one you have the most of already, bonus points if you buy a PCC that works with pistol mags you already had. Like you said, PCCs can be great for cost-effective practice, makes it even more true if you can cut costs on buying 10 new proprietary mags and ammo that'll only run in that one gun

Jericho941Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2019
    Boone County
    I can understand why people view them as range toys and nothing more, but for people who live in suburban or urban environments with close neighbors, it doesn't make sense to run 5.56 always. A PCC will give you the accuracy and ease of use of a small rifle at short range and not risk overpenetration.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I can understand why people view them as range toys and nothing more, but for people who live in suburban or urban environments with close neighbors, it doesn't make sense to run 5.56 always. A PCC will give you the accuracy and ease of use of a small rifle at short range and not risk overpenetration.

If you use Varmint Bullets in 556, 6.5 Grendel or 300 Blackout they won't over penetrate.

Top Bottom