• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    INDIANAPOLIS — On Thursday, the Indiana General Assembly sent a bill to Gov. Mitch Daniels that would ensure a worker's right to bring guns to work, as long as they remain locked in the employee's vehicle. The next day, a Portage man who was angry about a poor performance review at the Indiana Department of Workforce Development went to his car, grabbed a shotgun, returned to his office building and began shooting at his co-workers.

Check out the full article at the link, and as always, BE SURE TO VOTE

After shooting, business groups urge Daniels to veto guns-at-work bill | POLL » Evansville Courier & Press

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Can't you keep a shotgun in your car regardless of this bill? Isn't this bill pertaining to handguns only? Love how the media links these stories together for the negative stigma.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Can't you keep a shotgun in your car regardless of this bill? Isn't this bill pertaining to handguns only?

Prior to the bill, it depended on your employer's policy, and no, it doesn't apply to handguns only. Taken outside the context of employer property, the bill does nothing to change the law regarding legality of firearm possession. In other words, if the firearm possession is otherwise legal, then the bill would prevent an employer from having a policy prohibiting employees from having a firearm on company property, locked in their vehicle.

Correct, that the shooter in Portage did not need a permit/license to keep a shotgun in his vehicle, according to Indiana state law. However, his employer may or may not have had a policy about not having any firearms on company property. I don't know. I'd like to.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    With the media, a person could probably be labeled as a domestic terrorist or made out to be a visious criminal for simply owning or possessing more than one gun and a mag of ammo. Anything they can do to put a twist on it giving the hard working honest and responsible gun owner a negative image.
    In this day and age of all the political correctness, why hasn't more media personeel become sinsitive to our needs?? Why they are gutless and lack the spine to stand up for what's right. They would rather pretend not to take sides and be objective. Chaps my @$$

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In regard to keeping a gun of any sort in your car on company property, as far as I am concerned it should be the old "don't ask, don't tell" . As long as it's my car I'll decide what's fit or unfit to be kept in my car. I work at a place that prohibits guns on the property and from conversations with other employees it seems most have a gun in their car. Can an employer gurantee or attempt to keep you secure while driving to and from work? Obviously not heck maybe if more responsible people were armed at work there would be less people work place violence in this country

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ResponsePercentVotes
    No. Gun owners should have the right to keep guns in their vehicles*59%149

Yes. Gun owners should not have the right to pack guns on private property that prohibits it*21%53

Yes. People should not have weapons at their work*14%35

No. Vetoing the bill now would be a knee-jerk reaction to the Portage shooting*5%13

total votes: 250

Lookin good :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Maybe he he he stutters.....

beavis.jpg

YEAH! Stuttering is cool. hehehe

:laugh:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This whole thing just strikes me as stupid. If a crazy person wants to shoot people because he's angry, he's going to do it, whether it takes him five minutes to get a gun from his car or twenty to drive home and back.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    It is not law yet, but he still had a gun in his car. The law will not make it safer, he did it anyway.

The law only allows those that follow the rules to have the same chance without being penalized. You don't have to carry a firearm in your vehicle of you wish not too.

I am one that believes that your vehicle is your property and even you do drive onto someones property, as long as you keep it in your car, you should be able to do that.

rev500ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Royal Center
    voted to, 199 votes ahead.

Poll: Should Gov. Mitch Daniels veto legislation that would ensure Hoosiers could bring guns to work as long as they were left in a vehicle?

Thanks for your vote.

RESPONSE PERCENT VOTES
    No. Gun owners should have the right to keep guns in their vehicles 55% 321
    Yes. Gun owners should not have the right to pack guns on private property that prohibits it 20% 122
    Yes. People should not have weapons at their work 16% 98
    No. Vetoing the bill now would be a knee-jerk reaction to the Portage shooting 7% 41
    total votes: 582

Last edited:

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Just got my vote in. We are still leading the polls. Like someone else said, my employer prohibits it now but as long as they don't know what does it hurt. Even with the law in place, you is going to walk around their job telling everyone they have a gun in their car.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Sounds like it was not a spur of the moment thing, trot out to the car and grab the shotty..... That is just silly! As if the law would have anything to do with that, if the guy loaded a shotgun up in his car before work, I would guess that he had that one planned!! The only thing the law has to do with that, is currently the man with the shotgun had a pretty good idea he would not meet resistance from the other employees..

Top Bottom