• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I'm up to my neck with follow-up stuff at work, my wife is 8 months pregnant and I managed to get called in for Wednesday.
    Who here has done the Marion County thing?
    Last time I was at city-county was for my carry permit. I wasn't too pleased with the crowd that day.
    While I am pleased to be part of the system:patriot:, it just isn't a good time.

I'm hoping for a short visit.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    Haven't done the Marion County thing, but was call twice for Jury duty. First time I got a last minute call saying I had a conflict of interst in the case. Two of my first cousins were part of a group of farmers who's corn feilds the defendant drove through to get himself arrested. Second time went down to the court house, checked in with the baliff and waited an hour in th ejury room before the guy pled guilty right before jury selection. :rolleyes:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Hopefully you'll get a cancellation. Make sure to call the hot line number the morning of. It would be a pain to drive all the way down town, hassle with parking, and go in and find out that the trial had been canceled.

Good luck.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Be honest. If it is a trial for theft, tell them you hate a thief and his hands should be cut off. If it is a capital case, just say "Hang him high!" They will probably cut you. LOL

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was summoned twice when I lived in Michigan and the first time I didn't have to go for some reason that I can't remember. The second time I called and told them I had moved to a different city/county and they told me to mail them a copy of my license to prove it so I did.

All of which probably in my very early 20's and haven't recieve any since then.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Marion county:
    If your number comes up you go to the City/County building assembly room. They give you an orientation and then you sit and wait to see if you are assigned a court room. If you are assigned a trial you go to the court room and they may interview you. If you are not selected you return to the assembly room. You may be reassigned another trial or let go. There is also a chance you sit in the assembly room all day without being assigned a trial.

Bring a book!
    Bring a newspaper!

The one sure thing is YOU WILL WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Marion county:
    If your number comes up you go to the City/County building assembly room. They give you an orientation and then you sit and wait to see if you are assigned a court room. If you are assigned a trial you go to the court room and they may interview you. If you are not selected you return to the assembly room. You may be reassigned another trial or let go. There is also a chance you sit in the assembly room all day without being assigned a trial.

Bring a book!
    Bring a newspaper!

The one sure thing is YOU WILL WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT!

So this is nearly what I experienced.
    Orientation.
    Called by one baliff then switched to another for the case they were short on people for.
    I got asked some questions by the state attourney about my answers on the questionaire.
    I got to listen to some other folks explian thier views on the case. Some=:nuts:
    Some folks were instantly dismissed. I was obvious to me that some painted on thier religious convictions to get dismissed.:noway:
    I sat with about a 50/50 of getting on, but was not chosen to serve.
    While it would have been nice to hear all about a $25 prostitute and how an undercover cop stung her, I'm glad to not be tied up with it.
    I did take some documents from work and spent my down-time productively. I managed to meet my wife for some BBQ in fountain square, a rare and nice weekday lunch togther. And I managed to run a work errand while in town.

Not a horrible experience. I truely expected this to be a 2 to 3 day deal, but apparently it's typical to only spend a day to the mid afternoon.

The only issue I'd have in doing it again is not being able to carry there. Driving through the near east side on the way, I was missing my 9.

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I went thru the whole selection process last year for a state trial, only to sit in a basement room all day for nothing. Just got the letter informing me I've been selected for jury duty in Federal Court, maybe this time I'll get to pass some judgement.....

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    NO JURY DUTY YET

a few years back i got the letter in the mail, filled it out sent it back and never heard from them.it might have something to do with the half brother i have that is sitting in wabash correctional center for murder:dunno:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    So this is nearly what I experienced.
    Orientation.
    Called by one baliff then switched to another for the case they were short on people for.
    I got asked some questions by the state attourney about my answers on the questionaire.
    I got to listen to some other folks explian thier views on the case. Some=:nuts:
    Some folks were instantly dismissed. I was obvious to me that some painted on thier religious convictions to get dismissed.:noway:
    I sat with about a 50/50 of getting on, but was not chosen to serve.
    While it would have been nice to hear all about a $25 prostitute and how an undercover cop stung her, I'm glad to not be tied up with it.
    I did take some documents from work and spent my down-time productively. I managed to meet my wife for some BBQ in fountain square, a rare and nice weekday lunch togther. And I managed to run a work errand while in town.

Not a horrible experience. I truely expected this to be a 2 to 3 day deal, but apparently it's typical to only spend a day to the mid afternoon.

The only issue I'd have in doing it again is not being able to carry there. Driving through the near east side on the way, I was missing my 9.

Sounds like my day of "orientation/selection" for my jury duty. I was out pretty quickly myself.

Just got my check in the mail, bought a new battery for my old Volvo. Perfect timing.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Sounds like my day of "orientation/selection" for my jury duty. I was out pretty quickly myself.

Just got my check in the mail, bought a new battery for my old Volvo. Perfect timing.

My employer pays my salary while I was there and the company policy says I couldn't collect the cash and had to bring an excuse back.

The commute was about what I would have spent going to work, and I was only out $5 for parking. I won't miss the $15 check. Consider my parking fee and the refusal to take Marion Co. taxpayer money my stimulus package for Indianapolis!:)

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    U.S. District in Ft. Wayne

I just served here in Ft. Wayne. I was in a similar spot with my wife expecting our 3rd. I listed in the additional write in area when she was do and they postponed my service until after the delivery. It might be worth a call to see if they'll delay your "calling". Good luck

Top Bottom