• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Yes, it would seem that your summation at the end is correct. You left out a lot of clauses- did you carefully read them for anything misleading or wordy or that would negate anything that supports taking one into the city?

So does WI honor our permits?

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Most of the clauses I left out were the standard exemptions for carrying of weapons by police, soldiers, private security etcetera. Feel free to examine the link I provided. IANAL, YMMV.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Interesting Chicago Police Superintendent blog page

Blog 501

Several comments have been received regarding the Carbine Training Program and other weapon-related training issues. The Department anticipated very high demand for the carbine program and we planned and prepared accordingly. We knew that it would be a tremendous undertaking to implement. The Firearms Training Unit added instructors, a sergeant and armorers in order to be able to offer the carbine operator's program and quarterly training on a full-time basis. Demand is still greater than available training slots

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Good call to send the e-mail. I always give states a call or send something in an e-mail instead of just guessing. Nice call!

Of course, all this speculation and even the confusion among people who are actually reading various laws goes to prove one of my original 2A points...why all these confusing laws in the first place? What is so wrong with just leaving it at the right to keep and bear arms?

No need to point out the obvious, fellow INGOers. I know the reasons people give - even though they are wrong.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I hope politicians and the usual suspects don't use this to make getting a LTCH in Indiana more expensive by adding required class time onto the bill.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Chicago cops can't(or won't?) pull you over on the Interstate anyway. I've passed them going 90+ mph on 90/94 before

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Chicago cops can't(or won't?) pull you over on the Interstate anyway. I've passed them going 90+ mph on 90/94 before

I bet they figured it just isn't worth the hassle anymore..:D

lake-and-lasalle.jpg

DiamProducer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Anderson
    I love the comments on the guys pictures, only to find out that his is a LTCH holder. This shows that we cannot judge people by looks alone. The comment about the look on his face looks "gangster" or whatever. Who wouldn't looked pissed off when they were just booked for something they did not understand they were breaking? I know I would. Now is it his fault for carrying in Ill? YES! Does he get sympathy from me, yes and no. I know many people in Anderson that look like this that are the nicest people you would ever meet. Sorry to go on a rant here, but some of those previous comments are ridiculous.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    WOW. You should read the complete first sentence! ;)

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof..."

WOW. You should pick up a dictionary. ;)
    Websters defines Notwithstanding as despite.

Duhaime defines it as, Notwithstanding:In spite of, even if, without regard to or impediment by other things.
    Legal Definition of Notwithstanding

So try reading what you quoted as "Despite any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof..."

Is this how this site works? Questions of gun laws come up and someone will link or quote something he believes supports his incorrect assumption without realizing it's doing the exact opposite? I just hope whoever needs the knowledge actually reads what's put in front of him or her...

At times. :D

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I love the comments on the guys pictures, only to find out that his is a LTCH holder. This shows that we cannot judge people by looks alone. The comment about the look on his face looks "gangster" or whatever. Who wouldn't looked pissed off when they were just booked for something they did not understand they were breaking? I know I would. Now is it his fault for carrying in Ill? YES! Does he get sympathy from me, yes and no. I know many people in Anderson that look like this that are the nicest people you would ever meet. Sorry to go on a rant here, but some of those previous comments are ridiculous.

As a former coworker once said when there was a slight problem "just blame it on the black guy". He's black, it was hilarious when he said it.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bulgy74
    WOW. You should read the complete first sentence! ;)

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof..."

Duhaime defines it as, Notwithstanding:In spite of, even if, without regard to or impediment by other things.

So try reading what you quoted as "Despite any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof..."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bulgy74
    Is this how this site works? Questions of gun laws come up and someone will link or quote something he believes supports his incorrect assumption without realizing it's doing the exact opposite? I just hope whoever needs the knowledge actually reads what's put in front of him or her...

Timjoebillybob;463043 At times. :D[/quote said:
    Thanks for the clarification Timjoebillybob.Originally thats what I thought it meant, but I was to lazy to look it up in the dictionary.

I guess Bulgy74 hasn't seen your post, or he would probably be back to say thanks also. ;)

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008

Rep for this. I just caught up on this thread today. I thought the exact same thing when I saw that comment about the meaning of "notwithstanding". Told myself I'd link the definition if someone else didn't...you beat me:yesway:

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I DO feel sorry for him. The 2nd Amendment is in the Bill of Rights. It supersedes state law. I don't understand why many on this forum expect that anyone who decides to exercise their 2nd Amendment right, memorize each state's gun laws.

Yes, currently in order to avoid jail time we are forced to jump through hoops to do exactly what the Founders said we should do. But these hoops are ridiculous and unconstitutional. We should stand behind someone who was exercising his right to defend himself and his family.

I don't think it smart for gun owners to get into the habit of putting conditions on the 2nd Amendment: "You have the right to bear arms, but only if you memorize every state's gun laws and do x, y, and z"

Should we all go marching over to Illinois and start breaking the current laws? No we should approach the current climate in an intelligent manner. We can't do a whole lot if we are all in jail and have our guns taken away.

Still, wasn't Mr. George doing exactly what he should be able to do? :patriot:

:popcorn:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Wow, I'd go after for excessive force also if he was actually "slammed into the ground" as said. Doing reserve work, I'll tell you that if he was cooperating, there's no reason to take him to the ground to cuff him. My wife loves Chicago, but I get po'ed whenever I see stuff like this happening there. The thing is, the city is only so many miles from Indiana's border yet if you cross it into or near the city, this happens.

Chicago's "zero tolerance for criminals" doesn't seem to be helping them out any by the looks of the crime reports and maybe they should apply that to their own department.

I've tried contacting Illinois about their gun laws and about traveling through. It's like contacting the ATF, you get 10 different replies from different people with different answers. Apparently, they can be ignorant of their own law, why is it so awful if one man is ignorant of it?

Top Bottom